summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

thrift store day....

last night I dreamed I was all dressed to take the kids to the Salvation Army store, and no one wanted to go. So I decided to change back into my around-the-house clothes, and when I looked down, I had my nightgown on under my jacket. And no one had told me.

Anyway, they DO want to go with me, and are all excited. I hope we find some good things today. I really don't want to spend a lot of money, either. They make my head spin, taking them all shopping. They know it is bad to ask for things, so they just show me things. Every two seconds, they are showing me something. MOM, MOM, look at this. I say, "Honey, we do not need a sparkly light-up snowman." "Mom, I wasn't asking for it, I was just showing you!" I like it when we bring someone older so I can send them all over to the toy section and pretend I don't know them while I actually look through the racks a little bit.

Abigail is at a job interview! Oh, she looked so smart in her business suit. I hope she didn't get lost. She had to drive into the big city, as opposed to the smaller city we usually go to. I couldn't go with her and help her find it, or tell her what to say in the interview. I don't know if she knows it, but it is hard for me to let go.

Last night, the older kids decided not to watch a movie. If you haven't watched the movie, "Fried Green Tomatoes", watch it. It is soo good. The book was called "Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistlestop Cafe", by Fannie Flagg, and it was very entertaining too. But they opted to play a game instead. Abigail was mapquesting (did I verb that or what?!) directions, but Mirielle, Aaron, Mali, Samuel, Margaret, Kathryn, Evelyn, and their friend Renee played the game where someone else writes the name of a famous person on a paper and they tape it to their forehead....so each person knows everyone else's but not their own. Fidel Castro, Michelle Obama, Piglet, and Shakespeare, to name a few....they take turns asking one question at a time, a yes or now, about their person. I was pretty tired and wanted to go to bed, but I cannot convey how much it warmed my heart when Aaron asked me if I wanted to play. Sometimes I just get a glimpse of how blessed I am.

Of course this morning there are little papers with names on them all over, and they didn't rinse their bowls...Mirielle sliced apples and served caramel yogurt to dip them in. And they got into the apple pie that I didn't make.

Well, I owe Sonja a dollar so far this morning, she washed Camille up from her messy oatmeal while I sat here and typed....and a mess is waiting for me. Camille dropped the glass pepper grinder....so peppercorns and glass are decorating the tile on the far side of the table....

1 comment:

cheryl said...

We played that game around the fire when we were camping, with flashlights, of course. It was a lot of fun.. Susan was mad that she was Hannah Montana and couldn't guess.. I bet you could guess who I was in one of the games.. Sounds like fun at the Salvation Army.. lots of salvation to be had??