summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

second day of school

One thing I would like to clarify....the reason it is so hard to make up a dinner at the last minute when there is so many, is if you have say, one bag of fries, or one package of hot dogs, or one loaf of bread, (grilled cheese or French toast)you cannot serve it. It is not enough. Sometimes I have dreams that I have some of everything but not enough of anything......I try to have lots of pasta in the cupboard, and lots of cans and jars of sauce on hand. My freezer is pretty full, too....but try defrosting 6 pounds of chicken at five oclock....I do need to think ahead. Tonight, we had some extremely tender and juicy boneless pork chops, marinated in lemon pepper sauce, with thin green beans, buttered sourdough bread, and watermelon. I just can't let go of summer....

Mirielle and I went to the mall with Charlotte Claire and Camille. It seemed so strange to go with just the two little ones. Most things are way too expensive. We did find some clearance stuff in two stores, including two shirts and a skirt for me.....yay! Then we went to Aldi, which has good chocolate. That is primarily why we went. We did get some apples and juice and cheese and orange juice.....

I went swimming this afternoon with the school kids again....the water is still warm and clear and wonderful, I do not want it to end...I wouldn't mind if it just stayed like this. I enjoy exercising in the pool, as opposed to on land, where, in my opinion, it is torurous. Torture-ous.....is that even a word?

Tomorrow is my only sister's birthday!!!! I won't tell how old she is, but she is still and always will be a teenager at heart. She is so much fun. She has no sense of time, and is frequently late, (sorry Cheryl), but it is not her fault. She just always thinks she has more time than she does. She is the queen of bargains, I think she could count the things she bought full-price on one hand, or maybe one finger. She is first and foremost a good mommy to her seven girls, and now two son-in-laws and two grandchildren.....but she is a good friend, too. She has the gift of dropping the practical things for a fun outing, and never takes herself too seriously. She is kind and good and giving, and has a wicked sense of humor. Sometimes I can't even look at her because I know we're thinking the same thing. One time her and I had a laughing fit that was so seriously wrong...it was at a wedding, and I had to leave and go to the bathroom......this was only a few years ago....anyway, tomorrow is her birthday, and I am hoping to get together with her somehow...lunch maybe....

Great, we are having a clothing crisis. Kathryn is at THAT age....where nothing fits, nothing is comfortable for school. She is trying things on....I hope her sisters will help her and let her try their stuff on...there is nothing like going out the door in something you just don't feel right in.....

I had a crazy evening....Paul and all of the older kids went to cleaning (we clean our meeting hall as part of the rental agreement)....I was here making lunches for tomorrow, getting out clothes for tomorrow, doing the dishwasher, washing the pans, giving Suzanne a shower, helping Sonja with her math homework, and cleaning up the pee mess from Charlotte Claire...she missed the toilet. And during this, I realized that I no longer have a nursing baby to fit into it all. For years and years, I always had a baby...one would grow up and another would arrive....I never took it for granted....but I miss it. Even though it is easier now on nights like tonight, I would still take a baby any day....crazy or not...

Camille needs to go to bed....I am tired, too. I need to get into bed earlier tonight.

2 comments:

Standinginhislight said...

yeah, I just weaned our youngest (and probably last), it comes with mixed feelings for sure... glad someone else can relate.
as for dinner, and not having enough of one thing... I have the opposite problems in that we always have to fix 2 options as there is always someone who doesn't like option 1 anyways. yeah, i suppose spoiled, but we enjoy our family gathering at suppertime, so I prefer we were all eating, lol.
~Sheri

Cassandra said...

Happy Birthday to Cheryl!

Cassandra xx