summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, July 21, 2008

why can't summer last forever?

Yeah, they were using the camera...I deduce it was Evelyn, since Suzanne is in this picture, in the front room of the camper.... Here is little sweet and innocent, notice the marker all over the chair? She also got some on her bathing suit....washable, my foot.

Here is Kathryn claiming the middle bunk....

And here is Kathryn watching a good movie - hmm, was the a.c. up too high?





I don't like the heat, but I love the languidity, the lack of schedule...Abigail has Jonathan and Charlotte Claire in the hot tub (we don't have it too hot), and baby Camille is napping....and I should be packing...isn't that how it goes, I always should be doing something? I found my camera, apparently Joe had it.....which is nice, because the kids I questioned about it seemed so earnest in their denials that it wasn't them. I am very glad they aren't just excellent liars.
Why is it that when I can possibly fit it in to do something, like pack the camper, I don't feel like it, but when it's crazy here and all the kids need me for something, I feel like it? That is where a little more self-discipline would be handy...I need to remember that this is my job, and I don't have to like everything about it.....I cannot quit my job, nor do I want to .....but can't I just call in sick? (eeks, bolt of lightening, I don't really want to be sick!)
Samuel will turn 13 years old when we are camping, so we are having his favorite for dinner that night....Hamburger Helper Stroganoff.....for some reason, the kids just devour it. I make 4 boxes, and they eat every bit. Maybe because they know it isn't good for them. Or maybe because I rarely serve it....I don't know, but they love it. It seems an easy camping dinner....anyway, Sam is going to be our 8th child to turn teenager. Emily Anne was 10 years old when Samuel James was born. How did I ever manage? That was the summer we got our pool.....I remember having a new baby, and trying to watch the kids in the pool....Emily was 10, Abigail 8, Ben 6, Mariel 5, Joe 4, Aaron 2 1/2, and Molly 17 months...I remember we had a girl staying here to help us that summer, a girl who had more problems than I felt I could deal with, but deal I did....she had panic attacks, and lied compulsively....but I had her for the summer, and I loved her , and helped her as much as I could.....yeah, she was here to help me...but she was only 18 years old....she came from the west coast...I saw her a few years ago, and she is doing well....
Sleeping yet? I have to get Sam a birthday present this week, and hide it in the camper. He wants a video game, surprise. When I was little, I never remember asking for anything for my birthday....I was just thankful for what I got. We didn't have much extra money, and I grew up very conscious of that. I think I make up for it by spoiling these guys just a bit too much. I want them to truly appreciate things.....
Dinner time is approaching......and where is the cook? Why, she's sitting on her rear- end typing! She isn't doing her job! She is being lazy.....she has to make turkey burgers....her children love these.....why isn't she getting up? All right, here she goes....

2 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

You have had 7 teens already. Any chance of your popping on over to my place and leaving some good advice?

Martha said...

My seventh just turned into a teenager last Friday. She's growing up way too fast, but then again she has always been that way. I guess unless I find some "new" children, I'll soon be out of teenagers too.