summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

get smart

Is a funny movie, it is on right now. We think Steve Carell is hilarious, but then we are fans of "The Office"....

I did get my nap today, two hours....and it was very nice. I hated to be in bed when the 3 youngest got off the bus, but you can't have everything. The other thing about sleeping through Camille's nap, is that then I have no time....

But, I got my nap, and therefore was able to function for dinner and the evening too. Dinner was simple tonight: Ham, turkey, salami, oat bread, carrots, and celery....

I can't accurately describe how crazy this evening was:
Paul and the older kids were gone tonight.....
Camille likes the new Britax carseat that is sitting in the living room. It just came today. Charlotte Claire has claimed ownership, which might work, but anyway, she thinks it's her job to remove Camille from trying to climb in and sit in it.....anyway she can. Of course, I cannot let Charlotte Claire get away with this, so I was putting her on a kitchen chair frequently tonight. Plus, she pulled Jon's hair. Because she tried to go twice in a row in the jump off the chair onto the blanket pile game, and Jon didn't want to let that slide....so, he yelled and fussed. I read him three books to distract him. The girls were watching a Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus dvd, a concert, and the noise level was bordering on insane. Suzanne did her spelling, Evelyn was in her room doing her book report.....and now that they are all tucked into bed, I can't remember the details of why it seemed so crazy.....but wow. It was.

Paul, my dear husband, has bought me something I have wanted for a very long time. No, not a diamond ring. Not a vacation in the bahamas (although we are long overdue for something like that: our honeymoon consisted of a weekend in Rochester, NY, and back to work on Monday morning)....but anyway, he got me a treadmill! I am very excited about it. We are going to take the little Tikes kitchen out of the livingroom, and put the treadmill there. I have wanted one for so long. With the time change and the cold weather, going on walks is harder, and won't be getting any easier.

I am hoping that the treadmill will also come in handy to help with the kids with so much excess energy.

I made that double batch of chocolate chip cookies last night, and baked half of them, and they promptly disapeared. I baked the rest this afternoon. Gone. Which for me, is a good thing. If I wake up in the morning, and there are homemade c.c.cookies, I will have one or two or three with my coffee, especially if I am very tired....but having all these kids in the house is a great extra cookie deterrent. It crossed my mind when I was making up the dough to triple or quadruple the recipe, and I thought better of it....we just don't need that many cookies.

Abigail is home, finally. She commutes to college, and is taking a few tough classes. Why on earth anyone would want to be an accountant is beyond me, but she likes it. Her things are organized, she keeps track of things, she remembers things. It's just her thing. She stayed late tonight studying for a big exam. She is getting spoiled, being able to use her Handicap parking pass, from dislocating her kneecap. It expires in January, right when the snow and fierce wind start in. The college is right on Lake Ontario, lake effect snow country.....

42 days to Christmas eve....wow. I don't have a closet full of presents this year. I have some stuff, though. Emily is leaving December 26th for her year in Norway. She didn't tell her boss at work yet, so I hope no one tells on her. Emily actually was being trained to be the Charge Nurse, and felt bad because she is leaving...she is going to tell her boss this week. The other older kids, I can't see getting them too much. Ben has a job, and can buy what he needs. Joseph, probably wants art supplies. I think he asked for acrylic paints. Aaron wants a snowboarding pass, I think. I already got Molly some boots, which she tried on, and knows about.....I am thinking about getting a Wii for them to share. And maybe some clothes for Margaret....and Kathryn. For the younger kids, I'll check the closet, and then get them a few more things....we have so many toys already, but they like to open stuff, and have their own things....Jonathan is 9 years younger than Sam, and he inherited most of Sam's ample supply of legos, matchboxes, and transformers. Charlotte Claire has more dollies and strollers and prams to play with than we need already....

I need to get to bed.....my nap was wonderful, but......is it ever enough?

8 comments:

Renata said...

So glad you could get a nap - you earned it!!
What a great hubby bringing you home a treadmill - I know you've mentioned a few times wanting one!

Amber said...

I have been trying to get my husband to buy be a treadmill for months now. He doesn't want to buy it for me because he thinks it is the same as calling me fat...not sure about his logic but i'll take it...haha I admire people who start Christmas shopping early. I think we didn't get finished until right up to the deadline...and our list is much larger this year.

Janis said...

OK, you need to have a picture of your wonderful husband somewhere! I loved reading your "how we met" story. I think I'll post one of those soon myself. I don't know how you do it with gifts. We have three girls between 2 and 8 and I never know what to give the baby because she really does not need a thing. Sometimes I get someone to buy her a family membership to a children's museum or a swim class or something but it isn't very fun to unwrap and this year that will matter. Her first Christmas we actually bought her diapers and wipes and wrapped them! Is that terrible?

Mrs. B said...

ahh...naps are soooo wonderful.

My dd like to claim ownership over everything that her younger brother gets. They have the same birthday (one year apart) and she seems to think that everything is hers, and that she "allows" him to open some. hahaha

Martha said...

I'm still thinking on the treadmill thing. I have a space, just don't have the treadmill.

Handsfullmom said...

My hubby just bought me an elliptical. I hope you get lots of use out of your treadmill. I'm glad to know you have those crazy moments, too.

Cookies don't last very long at our house either.

jen said...

Oh I would LOVE your chocolate chip cookie recipe. I am trying out a few at the moment to see which I prefer (that's my excuse and I am sticking to it - hah!). Are they soft or crunchy? I love the soft ones straight out the oven, but they taste a bit stale after a while. At least there's the treadmill for cookie penance ;)

16 blessings'mom said...

Jen, I am not very creative as far as the choc.chip recipe goes, I just use the Nestle Tollhouse recipe, only I always use half shortening, and half butter, never margarine. I also put in more brown sugar than white....(when I double the recipe, it is one and one-half cups of each, but I do one white and two brown)....they are sort of chewier with the shortening. And I like them cooked longer so they crunch up, but most of the kids like them baked less. So, my evil plan is to leave some in the oven extra long......