summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I did not stay home today!!

I was all set to stay home. I had gone out for so many days in a row I lost count. I was GOING to STAY HOME. I got all the clothes put away from the couch, started a few loads of laundry, and was really in a good groove. Then the dr. office called.....Mali has been having some awful pain under her ribs, and has had lots of tests done...her bloodwork was fine, the e.k.g. was fine, and today he wanted her to have a chest x-ray just to rule things out....so, out we went. We brought Evelyn, Sonja, and Charlotte Claire. The x-ray came out fine...and Mali was sort of upset. She has been having this pain, and now there is no explanation. I, on the other hand, was relieved that nothing awful showed up.

We then took a quick stop into the grocery store, one that has lots of good fruits and veges. Cherries, plums, nectarines....I like buying them when they are in season and affordable....I also got two apple pies, on sale, and Wegman's bakery apple pies are wonderful.....and some vanilla ice cream. Before I left, I told the girls they could invite people over for dinner if they wanted, so there are four friends here tonight. We had 18 for dinner, which is our normal...but with the three boys gone, and Ben at work....anyway, we had steak, marinated in Chicago Grill, cooked on our deck grill, baked potatoes, romaine salad with cucumbers and black olives, rolls, and then the pie and ice cream. And some cherries. Wow. It was so good.

So I was thinking today about things, how when we started having kids, and how our first eight kids were four boys and four girls. I was thirty years old when my eighth was born. My oldest was ten and a half. Then, we had 5 girls in a row. Then Jonathan, Charlotte, and Camille. Why was I thinking of that? I have a friend who has 6 boys and two girls. Her boys are, to put it nicely, very rambunctious. Bordering on destructive, very active. She commented to me that I don't understand, because I have mostly girls....okay. Then I thought, "Wait a minute!"....hmm. I used to have equal amounts. And having Joseph and Aaron 18 months apart with Benjamin only 2 and a half years older than Joseph, yes, I do know a little about boys. I also had 5 brothers. They had a lot of energy, too. But they were taught respect. Respect for the furniture, for others' things, and for my parents. We were taught, growing up, things like "Don't touch!" in stores, and "take the one you touch", and "don't take the last one!" Being a boy is a poor excuse for not behaving. No, my kids are not perfect. Absolutely positively not. Ha. Right now they are going pretty wild. But they are NOT jumping on my couch!

My two girls, Mirielle and Mali, are leaving on Thursday. They are going to Norway, where they will stay with their brothers and see Emily, then they are going to France. They will spend time with friends, and visit Paris. No fair. I told them they could bring me back a pram from France or Norway....just push it around with their stuff in it, then bring it to me. But they don't think I need one. They are probably right.

Kids are tired, so I must sign off...

5 comments:

cheryl said...

Ooh, Della.. I was just on Ebay Sweden and France, and guess what I was looking at? Yes, I'm certifiable.. and when I saw that book "Shopaholic/Baby".. laying on my dining room table when I got home, I am in such a mood for prams. We must bug them everyday, it should be the only thing they look at when shopping, and I'm sure they'll take some photos: Brunstad is Pram Heaven. Okay, I'm done being crazy for awhile.. I just can't help a little relapse now and then. Of course I mean no insult to those who do struggle with serious problems, I'm really only poking fun at myself..

FLmom7 said...

Your grown-up kids are so lucky to have those opportunities to travel. That is wonderful! I was wondering if you are Norwegian, is that why they are going to Norway?

true blessings said...

i'm sorry ,but what on earth is a pram??

Piper Paradise said...

Totally a personal question but how are your children able to travel like this? I mean affordability wise? Are they traveling with the church? Of course feel free to ignore my question - it is personal : -)

And love the idea of more prams and more babies - one can never have too many of either I say!

Kris said...

Being a boy is a poor excuse for not behaving.

--No, it is not, but sometimes it is very difficult to control their behavior. A very long term project with some boys :) I'm never quite sure whether to keep them out of the public eye until they are 16 or risk being pitied and humiliated while out and about. ;) Especially if you have a large group of them. It's kind of a gang mentality ;). I'm not saying they do it on purpose, just what they are bent towards. I'm sure you've observed boys when they get together at church or otherwise to play. They usually don't sit around sipping tea :)
I've noticed from observing other large families that whatever gender you have the most of is the dominant culture in the home.