summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, August 29, 2009

getting back to normal...

whatever THAT is. I went to the baby shower today, and there was a friend there with a newborn. Oh, I almost started crying. I have never had it before that this much time has passed after a miscarriage without a new pregnancy, and I thought I was fine with it...but a baby shower with three babies that are due around when mine would have come was a bit much for me today. I am very very happy for those moms, and very satisfied with my children, but...there is still that pain down deep, that feeling of sadness. It doesn't show itself very often, but I did feel it today. It was triggered by all those sweet little clothes, and the nice pram I gave to my niece. It is one of my favorites, a PegPerego with the basinette and the seat, and the nice white spoked wheels. Ouch, I hate to part with them...

I left the baby shower early, with Abigail, Mali, Evelyn, and Sonja, to go get Mirielle at the airport. She is doing okay. She was scared during her ordeal, they did indeed bus her to the detention center, and she did not know when she would get to leave. They locked her in a cell with another lady, from Nigeria. The customs officials here couldn't believe they did that to her. They told her that here she would have been put in a hotel.

We stopped at my favorite bakery (doesn't everyone have a favorite bakery?), near the airport in the town I grew up in...I used to get things for my parents from this place, especially when my dad was very sick with leukemia. He couldn't eat much, but he ate liked his donuts....and this place has wonderful donuts. Just walking in the door is heavenly, the smell, the cases filled with cakes and pies and cookies and cannoli and turnovers and danishes. And the best Italian bread, I bought two loaves of that. Their donuts are only $6 a dozen, and they are very big and fresh and luscious.

Our next stop was for a coffee, and then on the way home with Mirielle. Paul had prepared a special dinner of sweet corn on the cob, steaks on the grill, and salad with tomatoes and green peppers and scallions and radishes. And I brought the Italian bread...oh, it was good. Summery and good. Mirielle had not eaten much for two days, hardly anything, so she was very appreciative.

So, things have calmed down here....tomorrow after church, I get to go pick up the new playhouse I am buying for the kids from craigslist...only $40.......yay!

No comments: