summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, August 17, 2009

summertime.....

The back yard...when we built our house, this was an old overgrown cornfield. No trees at all. These trees planted themselves.
The wild area between the back yard and the back field, which we call "the snake field"....



Kathryn Grace and Jonathan, playing WII....they look so clean and refreshed and tanned....they are taking a break from the pool....




Camille loving her dolly....




Jonathan and Charlotte Claire watching "Curious George"....I like public television...one half-hour show is just enough....





Camille lookin' cool. I did so much cleaning up today, finally after all these days of just the basics. I straightened and vacuumed and mopped and dusted and scrubbed and sorted.....and the kids are erasing it all! I mean, who brought the economy sized jug of peanuts out here to the living room, and most importantly, who spilled them? No one, that's who. I couldn't seem to get the work I wanted to do finished to take them in the pool, so I had Aaron take them out and watch them while I finished....it is way to hard to mop floors with kids all around. (I used to mop at night when thely were all in bed, but they stay up too late and I am too tired).....As soon as I start mopping, Sonja appears, soaking and dripping, with a jar of applesauce....can she please have some? No, go outside and let me finish. A few more kids start trickling back in, wanting snacks, or drinks, or just to see what I am doing, or to tell me that Camille wants MOMMY in the pool. Okay, kids, just get back outside and let me finish!!!
By the time I was finished, I was so hot and sweaty....I would spare you the details, but...nah, I was soaked. Sweat was dripping off the end of my nose. I felt like I had already been swimming....so the pool was doubly refreshing today.....
We came in and had some lunch, chicken strips and green beans, and cantaloupe slices. And ice water. It is 89 degrees in the living room right now. Downright tropical...but getting out of the pool and sitting in the scorching sun feels great, for a few minutes anyway. I actually fell asleep on the couch for like a half hour this afternoon....we set the fan on the table where the dvd player is, and the breeze, even though it was a hot breeze, felt fine. The kids only woke me up to tell me like twenty important things, and Jon asked me a few questions. Then Charlotte Claire brought me a fleece blanket...how nice of her, until I realized that she wanted to snuggle up to me and join my nap. Sorry sweets, it is too hot for that.....
Now, it is the dreaded dinner time....I am going to use the leftover steak....here is my plan: cube and marinade the meat, cube, oil and season some potatoes, microwave them, slice some zuchini and yellow squash and onions and peppers, make schish-kabobs, or however it is spelled. Time to move it move it.






2 comments:

Tereza said...

yay for getting stuff done. We don't have public TV but curious george sounds nice:)

Virginia Revoir said...

I don't have TV either but I do have a little DVD player in my van for when we are driving around. They watch like Odyssey and veggietales.

You kept making me want to go swimming with all that talk about the pool. Sigh.

Sometimes I dread dinner time too because it's so much work and there is lots of cleanup afterward.