summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

bad mom award # 437....

And tonight's award is for: Forgetting All About The Elementary Chorus Concert! Imagine my guilt and shame when Jonathan mentioned it casually this evening way after it was already over with. oops.

I do have some excuses, of course. Evelyn and I left the house this morning by 9:40 to do some shopping for the grill at church this weekend. We filled the back of the minivan with burgers and candy bars and eggs and hot dog buns and ice cream cones. We brought it all out to the church and unloaded it, then headed to the next store with Kim. First, however, we took a tiny little detour. It was an hour past my lunchtime, and I forgot to arm myself with almonds and an apple, my standard go-to snack when I go Bye-Bye. So...we went to the Chinese Buffet. And like every other time I go there, I say afterwards, "I am never going there again." That salty food, that yucky feeling...but honestly, it tasted so good. I stayed away from the rice and noodles, but I did have a bit of ice cream. The pepper chicken is my favorite, followed by the sesame chicken.

We filled the back of the van again with three cases of pizza dough, 25 pounds of mozzarella cheese, 18 pounds of hot dogs, 50 pounds of salt potatoes, plates and bacon and sausage and peppers and salad stuff....

Then, a quick stop at a different Target. I tried on a few bathing suits, which is always sobering. Made me really regret the Chinese food, but hey, life goes on. I bought Mirielle a beach bag and some sunglasses for all the help she does for me. And since Miss Evelyn was with me, she found some clearanced shoes, a skirt, and a top.

On towards home...a quick stop at the fabric store to get fabric paint for Kathryn, who had texted me five times asking for some. Through the McD's drive-through to get a coffee, and finally...back to the church to unload, again. Home. Finally. Dinner: three meatballs and some green pepper slices. A nice long walk with Sonja K. Then...the princesses were asking for something for dessert...so I cracked open the 56 ounce bag of M&M's that I had gotten with a good coupon...and I counted out ten. Then ten more, but put a few back. Then got a few more out. Then a few more. Blah, someone slap me! I had at least twenty, no more than 25. blah. They are SO good. I think it is easier to just not have any.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

I still have more grill shopping to do. Tomatoes and chicken and hamburger buns. And and and. Gatorade and soda and water and Snapple, unless I can get some boys to get it for me.

I am tired tonight. Not just from all the shopping. I forgot to bring Miss Rosie in and put her in her cage last night before bed. She reminded me with a nice loud string of RUFF RUFF RUFF-ing at 5 a.m. I almost fell back to sleep like ten times, but Paul was awakened too, and was tossing and turning and keeping me awake.

So. I am tired. Plus, Miss Camille came in and visited me twice last night. She just comes in and stands next to my bed, then reaches over and hugs me without a sound. I hug her back for a few minutes, tell her I love her, and to go back to bed. She does. She sneaks in and out so quietly. I don't like being woken up, but I LOVE it at the same time. She is really and truly a sweetie.

Ashley called me last night to say that she had heard from Benjamin, finally. That was nice to hear.

The house fell apart without me today. I was really gone all the livelong day. Mirielle and Aaron had to go up to college for some things, but when Mirielle got home she made up a chore list. Margaret made dinner (spaghetti and meatballs and salad). They didn't trash the place, but it isn't like when I am here all day and picking things up and getting things done.

The little girls had dollhouse stuff ALL OVER the living room, and Jonathan had a whole inventory of his Nerf guns out here. They had snacked and there were crumbs. Sonja K. was a darling and helped get it mostly cleaned up.

The days are going by too fast. I love the spring time, and the long days of sunlight. The kids stay up too late and have such a hard time getting up in the morning. Four kids stayed home today. Sonja had a tummy ache, hmm., Jonathan said I promised him he could stay home today, and the tears kept coming when I suggested a different day, and Miss Char was so tired she flopped on the couch and didn't want to get up. She got dressed, but then was lying back down again...she was still awake singing songs with Camille at ten last night, and was up before I was this morning. So...I let her stay home too.

That was Bad Mom Award #436, I guess.

Joseph didn't have to work today, so he watched the kids while I shopped, since I had to fill the whole van. So I got ripped off, they stayed home and I wasn't here to enjoy it. Sonja said it was really fun though. They had microwaved pizza pockets and baby carrots for lunch. Then Aaron and Mali went to this small Mennonite store out in the country, and brought home lots of candy: licorice and gummy frogs and chocolate covered raisins and candy necklaces.

And, I am tired.











































1 comment:

Cassandra said...

Oh how i would love to come to your church one day! The things you do sound like so much fun!
I had a little chuckle at how Miss Camille comes into your bed at night and hugs you, Miss Lala does that too!
Precious moments.

Cassandra xx