summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

untitled

I know it's going to be a heckava blog post when I can't even think of a good title. I mean, "messy house again", or "going shopping today" are pretty lame. But alas, the story of my life....

The story of my life is that sometimes I get sick and tired of the same old same old, but then I get thoughts that sober me up and strengthen me to endure and find joy in that same old same old. Because this is IT, this is life. Yes, the towels are dry and another load has to go in, AGAIN. Camille is not part of the same old same old. She is my little sunshine, my sweetie who insists on growing up and away from me way too fast. This morning she is playing with her stuffed dog Max (from, "The Grinch Stole Christmas", Dr. Seuss). She is brushing his fur. I read her that book last night. She just said, "This is serious stuff. It doesn't care if it hurts, it just wants it's fur brushed."

I had so much fun with Samuel, 16, yesterday. His job interview was at the college in the small city. It was pouring out, just raining cats and dogs. We didn't have an umbrella, because I was afraid we were running late and didn't want to take the time to find one. Well. We parked as close as possible, but that was really far away. We were quite early for the appointment, so we sat there in the van waiting for the rain to subside. It didn't. It poured harder, and he was getting antsy, thinking we should get in there. We talked about the Army, about World War II, and about ROTC. We finally headed into the building, down the long wet sidewalk.

His interview lasted over a half hour. He was asked how he would spend his money if he got the job. He answered, "Well, being number 8 out of sixteen kids, I can't just hold out my hand and get money for what I want or need. So it would be nice to be able to pay things myself."

There are many applicants for the job, so he isn't as sure he will get it as he was before, but he enjoyed he whole experience. We stopped at McD's for a coffee and a fruit parfait (an ice cream sundae for Sam), then went to BJ's for some baggies and some chicken and veggie sticks and shampoo and beef jerky for Ben and one of the other guys.

Mirielle sent out two packages this morning, one for Ben and one for another guy who hasn't gotten anything yet. Yes, Linda, he does get his packages, but randomly. One time he got six boxes. He shares the candy with everyone and passes the baked goods around to all the guys. He always brings things in his pockets when he goes out on patrol, and gives stuff to the little Afghan kids. We sent him a book a while ago, and it is making the rounds. So we got him some, "Calvin and Hobbes", and "Get Fuzzy" comic books.

We had ham for dinner last night, with applesauce and mixed veggies and watermelon. The ham was good, but very salty. Since I have cut out processed foods and fast food, I cannot tolerate too much salt, I can taste it and blah! We also had these crusty artisan rolls with butter. I had one small slice of one, then ended up eating the rest. I can not do this! I should not taste good things like that at all, because I am a sucker for carbs. If I could lose weight and thrive on bagels and toast, I would be thin and healthy, because that is what I ate for years. And cereal. I miss cereal.

anyway. Today I am going shopping. Miss Margaret needs a bathing suit for her trip to the ocean, and Miss Mali is having phone problems and has to go to the big mall in the big city to get it replaced. She has no car, and needs a ride. Poor me. I do not care for malls. But, I will make her go to Price-Chopper with me on the way home, ha.

We have to wait to go later since Marg cannot miss any school, and Mirielle has the van right now shopping for food for their camping trip. I am okay with that because I need to do more laundry, wash some dishes, sweep floors, and....exercise. I took an evening walk with Sam and Jon last night, but I haven't lifted weights or done a push-up in days and days. oops.

I am hoping that picking up more exercise will get the scale to move down again. When I am tempted to get all down about how slowly this weight loss is going, I think: I am happy now. I do want to get smaller, be healthier, but it isn't going to make me magically happier. I need to enjoy the process, live contentedly, and not be so worried and obsessed about this. But - I do need to be obsessed. Does that makes sense? To be deadly serious about it but not let it get to me when it isn't working as well as I would like? I can't slack off or I will gain it all back. And I do NOT miss the heartburn or the fatigue. I read the Weight Loss Success Stories and these people lose like a hundred pounds in a year, and feel fantastic and start running marathons. It motivates me, but also makes me wonder why it can't just go so smoothly and quickly for me. Of course those people probably didn't have a delicious artisan roll, with a chewy crust and tender flaky inside, with real butter on it...sometimes I feel so doomed!

I just tried to glue Aurora's crown for Camille, it got stepped on. Elmer's glue won't do it, we will have to get out the tube of Goop. She is now making dinner for Max, feeding him plastic corn on the cob.


































5 comments:

Martha said...

I love corn on the cob!

ccc said...

Thanks for making me laugh real hard when you wrote---"messy house again or going shopping today" as possible titles for the post. Our lives are so similar :)

All those people that you read about on the weight loss blogs prob are not the mom of 16 kids and they can do nothing but focus on themselves all day long and exercise and eat well prepared low calorie foods because that is ALL they have to think about. You have so much other things to think about and your mind can get distracted about your kids and what needs to be done around the house. And, they prob are not tired like you are after running around taking care of your family--so they may have more energy to exercise. I know I try to exercise too, and some days I am ready to drop dead and there is no way I can exercise. And some days I am running around so much that I have to just grab and eat whatever is laying around or I will faint while driving someone to baseball practice. So, us moms make poor food choices out of necessity.
You are making so much progress--I can see it in your photos--do not despair--you are a mom first and a supermodel second LOL (hope I did not offend)

Урнаа said...

Hello. I like to read you blog. I wish weight loss was easy for me too. I am kinda of just starting though. Love reading about your big family and i love big families.

Tereza said...

I agree with ccc's comment!!!
And yes this is it eh? I have to remind myself too that I need to enjoy the "it" the "everyday" But I'm solucky to have so many sister...inc,uding you who remind me from time to time!! So thanks

OurLilFullFam said...

My messie house never gets cleaned :) But, it is well used and that is better!

I have heard (and hopefully it is true!) that the interviewers actually like ti hear that the kids need the money, it makes them think the kids will work hard and stick around longer. Good luck to him!

Stephanie