summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 24, 2013

can you say, "brrrrrr!"?

Cold colder coldest. This morning takes the cake. It was six below when I took that dog out this morning. The sun filtered through the trees, promising something more than I was feeling. The snow is so cold under my boots it crackles. Suri does not care. She wants to run and play. I brought out a treat, so I could bribe her to come right back in after she peed.

I took some pictures of freezingness, but for some reason our internet is going slower than usual, out here in the country. I click the button to upload a photo, and sit there forever while the little circle spins and spins...never mind then! Wait, do I actually talk to my computer?

Last evening, I was home all alone for about a half hour. All alone. So what did I do, you might ask? Duh, I made popcorn and read my book! Nothing like turning page after page without having to look up and say What Do You Want for the millionth time. Joni, I won't do that again. Not until least Friday. I have this thing for air-popped popcorn with butter. Carbs and fat...and yum. So I try to just have some on Friday, but last evening...well. Anyway.

Then Mirielle and Aaron came in from college, and I wasn't alone anymore. Then Paul came home, so I gave up reading and got some cleaning done while the kids were all at Activity Club.

But that half hour was nice.

I wouldn't appreciate it if I had it all the time. Plus, I appreciate the kids, too. They are hilarious sometimes. Charlotte Claire is a little rebel. She isn't a hugger like Camille, but she still needs hugs and affection. This morning she was being super stubborn, not wanting to get up. So I joked with her and got her moving. Then when I called her over to get her hair done, she decided she wanted to finish her bagel. I told her she could finish it in a minute, please come here now. So she did that thing I hate, where she drops down and crawls slowly...and says, I AM coming, Mom! I chastised her for not listening, but immediately scooped her up and praised her because she is such a big girl and usually listens so well. She forgot all about being rebellious then.

Kids want to feel loved, and they want things to be hopeful for them. They want and need attention, and they will get it one way or another. So as the Mom, I need to be pro-active and give them that attention before they feel the need to act out. That's one of my biggest challenges. Getting them ready for A.C. last evening was challenging, to say the least. Jon's group was going sledding, so he needed lots of warm things packed up. Then when it started to get dark out, he mentioned that he was to bring a sled. I took pity on him, and went outside to get it with him. Could we find one stinking sled? I think they were all buried under the snow. It was soo cold out there. Anyway, I made two pans of brownies for them to take, and had to move two carseats from the big van to the minivan. I had to make sure everyone had eaten, and that they went out the door with mittens and warm enough coats. Teenagers typically aren't afraid of the cold. A sweatshirt would be fine with them.

Anyway...sometimes my head spins. Everyone asking me questions at the same time...it does get crazy sometimes. Then one of them will be playing Fetch with Suri, running across the room screeching and laughing, perhaps someone else singing their heart out with another of them protesting the awful singing, then someone shouting for the child playing with the dog to Stop It. And someone telling me they have a project due soon, and did I call for an eye appointment? Abigail got a flat tire, Mirielle wants someone to bring that pile of books to someone at Activity Club...and, "Mom, I need a new water bottle." "Well, I need new sneakers, Mom." What? Why are we talking about what we need, you guys need to get out the door.

So there is never a dull moment, so when one does come along, don't blame me for popcorn and a book.

My days can be quiet, but I usually have someone home. Joseph is at the gym, and the college kids are still here, they have late classes.

I am leaving soon to go to the grocery store. We are out of yogurt, bread, fresh fruit, and butter. Running out of peanut butter and milk and oats. And puppy chow. So...I am picking up two of the girls from school early to go with me. Not because I need help, but because giving attention to two of them for the day is priceless. It makes me excited to go!









3 comments:

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

I am sooooo behind on blogs! I need to just email you to catch up. Love the new picture of all of you in the snow!

Chet and Ashley said...

My husband took ou girls to the playground the other day and I did the exact same thing: popcorn and a book!

I know what you mean about being proactive before they feel the need to act out.

Tereza said...

Sounds familiar!!