summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

hundreds and hundreds of days...

As I sat here in my comfy chair with my fingers poised over the keyboard, trying to think of a clever title for today's post, I thought of how many days there are in five and a half years of blogging. Just off the top of my head, like 1,800....that's a lot of days. Sometimes it is obvious what to write about, like when there is a pregnancy to announce, or a car accident (or a puppy getting hit by a car), or a nice vacation coming up....

But then there are days like today. Today is a good day. But an ordinary day. I waited for the vet to call, and he did. Suri did fine, the surgery went well. She woke up from the anesthesia like a champ, and was given more pain meds, but woke up and looked at the dr. while he was speaking to me on the phone. So if she continues to improve, I will pick her up tomorrow and bring her home to take care of her. I miss her!

I started this post this morning, but Aaron and Mirielle were in here studying for a big nursing test they had today, and Samuel was in here because he didn't go to school today...headache. eh-hem. He did give blood yesterday, which I give him a huge applause for:). Anyway, Joseph was in here too, and it was way too much fun. So I got distracted.

The little kids got home from school and had tea and cocoa and peanutbutter on crackers. And some cookie dough, because I was mixing up a triple batch of chocolate chip...yes, I ate some dough. too much. But I will not have a cookie. Simply will not. I have chicken in the oven, marinated in garlic and herb seasoning. The older kids are all going to the youth meeting tonight, so it will just be Paul and I and the five younger ones home after dinner.

See, not much going on.

I finished my library book (love Susan Issacs!)today, had a few extra cups of coffee, and fit in my 20 minute work-out.

So it has been a good day.

Except for the fact that I ate too much cookie dough. I was tempted, honestly, to go run into the bathroom and try to throw it up. Just to be honest. But I didn't. I don't want to start that. I hate myself when I do things like that. My cookie dough is just too good! Real vanilla, real butter, twice the brown sugar as white, Nestle chips...just too good. But yes, I know that isn't the real issue here. It is that I lack self-control. And it kills me because I ate so well and healthily all day. Then I just eat like four spoons of dough...dang it. You might ask why in the world I still bake cookies, and I wonder that myself sometimes. It makes the house smell good, the kids love them, and I told Paul I would bake some for some guys from India who are working on a project at his work.

I know tomorrow is another day....and I will not give up, but dang it is hard! I just lose and re-gain the same four or five pounds. And there is no magic solution, just me...needing to buckle down more. I think maybe I will stop baking things, they will survive.

And so life goes. My kids are doing well. Relatively. Some talking back here and there, but I try really hard to focus on the good and ignore the bad...putting my foot down sometimes when they really need it...deciding when to do this and when to let something slide is still something I am working on. I feel so inadequate sometimes. I have really good relationships with my kids for the most part. I must admit I like Joe the best. He is everything you want as a child. I just took a phone call, and came back to that last sentence. I wonder who wrote that?

3 comments:

Melanie L said...

The very end of your post was so funny! Joe, you sneaky boy. I was thinking of Suri today, glad she did well. I was hoping for an update, hopefully she comes home tomorrow.

There is one snack that is dangerous to have in my house, but sometimes I just go with it because I like it so much. Tortilla chips & fresh salsa. Yum. A couple days ago, that was my lunch.

Anonymous said...

Haha I wonder!! Love reading every day, even on those ordinary days. Thanks for writing.

Jen said...

All hail the cookie dough. Life's short ... enjoy!