summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 3, 2013

day follows day....

and night follows night...giving the illusion that all this goes on forever. No one likes to think about the end of it, about death. Like for some strange reason just maybe it won't happen to me. But alas our days are numbered. Sunshine-y thoughts for a bitterly cold day. The temperature has risen to one degree now. brr. The kids were bundled warmly for their little trip down the driveway to the school bus. I take Suri out to wait with them, and she doesn't chase the bus, which still astounds me after dealing with Bad Rosie. You know I loved Rosie-The-Bad-Dog, loved her to pieces. But. There is something amazing about a dog who doesn't care a whit about chasing that big yellow thing down the road. A dog who will actually come back into the house with me when I call her.

Anyway. Yesterday was such a good day! Evelyn and I didn't end up going to the library, much to her chagrin. She did not have a book to read, she was desperate. But. The library is in the other direction...the longer trip to the farther stores. And it was snowing out. And, we had to get the minivan back in time for Paul and the older kids to go to the dome, so we were in somewhat of a hurry. So we skipped the library. Ev was bumming. We went to Wegman's for coffee and eggs and bananas and milk and oats and pears and potatoes and burger and chicken. Then to the thrift store...I suggested to Evelyn that she could perhaps find a book or two there. Well, did she ever! Plus, it was Wednesday, so all the tags were half off except for green. Even books. I found a few too. One is written by a marriage counselor and is about understanding your mate....but something I read in it has totally inspired me. He wrote that humans have this tank that needs to be filled with love. Our children need their tanks full, or they will act out and misbehave (although I am sure there are other reasons for misbehaving too). I have lots of kids. Lots of teenagers. It hit me like a ton of bricks when I read this, that my kids just need more positive attention. More love. Little ones can climb on my lap, tell me they need me. The older ones are more likely to act too cool for school, and maybe say a choice word or questionable phrase to get my attention. I can't explain it, but I was just so inspired to be more positive and more caring.

So that is a good thing.

I haven't finished the book yet, but I am glad I spent the 74 cents on it.

We also found a new coffeemaker. Now, the one I gave Aaron for Christmas was a total disaster. I got it at the same thrift store, all "new" in the box. I told Aaron it was used, but it turned on when I plugged it in at the store. When I got it home I looked more closely, and it had been used... Well, it leaked all over the counter! Nice of the previous owners to donate a leaky coffeemaker, must think poor people don't mind. Anyway, I decided to take another chance when we came across the cart full of stuff that hasn't even hit the shelves yet and there was a brand new Cusinart 12-cup Classic. I opened the box, and it was all in plastic still. The directions were sealed in plastic, the little charcoal water filter wasn't even opened yet, the carafe sealed up in plastic. So I paid $6.99. And guess what? It works. And it matches our kitchen, all black with chrome trim. We are a Cheap Coffeemaker Family, but oh ho it's nice to have a fancy one. (I looked it up - selling for $59.99 on Amazon)

We also found leather boots for Evelyn, adorable boots for Charlotte Claire, a few pair of gloves, and a George Foreman quesadilla maker which I thought was just a grill, which I bought for Benjamin.

And, when we were waiting in line to check out, a nice lady gave me a coupon for $7 off!

The best part about it was how much fun we had.

We the went to BJ's to get a few things, and dang it, the Christmas candy we found...24 ounce tins of milk chocolate almond bark, $2.99. Bags of candy still from Halloween, 215 count Nestle variety bags for $2.99. I bought five. Anybody want one?

So I ate well and healthy yesterday, then I went and had some of that almond bark. Dang. It was too good. No more for me, no more.

I should just stay out of those aisles.

rrr.

But, today is a new day. And I am not giving up.

Evelyn and I made dinner last night for her, Samuel, Kathryn, Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Char, Camille, and I. Nine people for dinner around here feels absolutely easy, comparatively. We made cheat-y chicken and gravy, using Campbell's Cream Of Chicken Soup, and lots of leftover chicken from the night before. I rolled out biscuits and used the bunny and heart and butterfly cutters. We had broccoli and mixed veggies. (Benjamin and Ashley made dinner for Abigail last night at their new house)(Paul, Emily, Mirielle, Joseph, Aaron, and Margaret were at the dome, and Mali was at her friend's house).

Benjamin and Ashley are driving back to Washington State, to Fort Lewis, in a few days. He has two more years in the Army, and hopefully he will spend them peacefully there on his base, not deploying again. We are all so thankful that he got home safe and sound, and the thought of going through all that again, phew. No. Don't want to. Cindy - God bless you! And I don't even want to think about the fact that 17 year old Samuel is absolutely intent on joining either the Army or the Marines after high school. He says if he doesn't, he will always regret it and wonder about it. It is so nice to have Ben around again though. He is so funny. He picked up the three youngest from school yesterday. He teases them and picks them up and swings them around, tickles them and plays with them. They couldn't love and adore him more. Ben will jump on Sam and wrestle him, and he has such good repoire with all his sisters.

So today I shall stay home and get some things done around here. A load of darks was deposited on the couch yesterday...I did drape them nicely so they don't wrinkle, but. There are clothes in the washer waiting to go in the dryer, and the floors need sweeping. The Christmas decorations are getting dusty, where is the Grinch when you need him?

It is so cold in here right now. I have socks and slippers and jeans and a big sweater on, but my fingers are cold. I know when I get moving I'll warm up, but it's hard to get out of this comfy chair. Mirielle left for the dentist, Joseph and Aaron are still sleeping, and Suri is snoring on the couch. Mali has a job at McDonalds during the college break, which she kind of actually likes. She is getting 40+ hours a week, and the manager there is relaxed, a good work environment.

Anyway, I know this post is all over the place...but what I was trying to say there in the beginning is that life is short. We all know that. But what good is it to have a nice house, perhaps all clean and shiny (or not...), to have matching forks (or not...when we were visiting Gramma in Florida, she was getting out the dishes for our dinner, and could only find seven forks, so, "someone has to eat with a salad fork!", she said. One of my kids said, "that would be terrible, if we knew the difference.")Anyway...the atmosphere in the home is the most important thing. I am only one person, but I happen to be the mom. The mom really sets the tone in the home. "Above all, have fervent love for one another, knowing that love covers a multitude of sins." (1 Pet. 4:8) "The discretion of a man makes him slow to anger, and his glory is to overlook a transgression." (prov. 19:11)..."It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel."(prov 20:v4)...I need to check my own spirit. Because being a parent isn't about being right, about putting my foot down, about running the house My Way. It is about leading the kids by example. Jesus had the spirit that said, "come". To walk in His footsteps, I need to be gentle and fight against my own tendencies to be so strong and right. I can't articulate properly, but I just want to encourage anyone who reads this to say NO to your sin, to go the extra mile, turn your cheek, bite your tongue, because when you give it will be given to you....and what better than to give of yourself?




























































3 comments:

Grace said...

Della - your blog is a blessing to me. Thank you so much. I wish you were my neighbour!

Chrissy said...

I love ready about your family. You are doing amazing. And I am so glad that Ben and Ashley are working through every thing. My husband works way a lot and the transition between time together and time apart is hard. It was harder when we were first married, and now is much better. Wish them all the best from England.

Chet and Ashley said...

Thank you for sharing excerpts from the book you found! I am glad you are "back" -- I missed reading your blog while you were in FL! Also, thank you for addressing my question regarding worrying about sick children a few posts back. Happy new year to your family!