summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, January 26, 2013

lazy saturday....

It is cold and sunny. Paul took the little girls sledding out back, they came in and had scrambled eggs and sausage with toast, grapes, and hot cocoa in the new-to-us mugs from the thrift store yesterday. Very special, for little girls!

Joseph and I, along with Evelyn and Sonja, went to the small city to the vet to get poor Suri. She can't really move without help, but when she saw us she was so happy!!! One of the assistants said she spent the entire morning lying next to her petting her. Isn't that amazing! They really love Suri, and took extra good care of her. She has two fentanyl patches on her leg, all bandaged up, for pain. When she moves, she whimpers and yelps. Joseph had to carry her into the house with her really crying. But. She is all settled in now, and happy just to be here.

The girls are all snuggled up watching, "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs." We don't have any plans for the day, but I know I have to get moving and exercise, although that is like number 87 on my list of things I actually WANT to do. But I am learning that to just do it anyways brings that elusive satisfaction that comes from doing things that I know are good for me.

Dang, Paul found the Hershey's licorice I bought at the dollar store last week. I don't eat candy anymore, except for straight chocolate. But I can smell it, and it smells so good! (He passed it out to all the kids in the living room)

Joni....you don't HAVE to do the No Carbs In The Evening thing. Wait, yes you do! I cheated already and had popcorn last night. I usually don't eat many anyway, but I love my popcorn.

So. Off I go to get into my sweatpants and move a little bit...ugh.

9 comments:

FLmom7 said...

Aw, poor Suri. I'm so sorry she was hit by a car, but glad she is going to be okay. Hope she is back to her old (young, energetic) self soon.

Joni said...

Oh, certainly a challenge for me to change my habits. Just made chocolate cake for a treat for kiddos ... but am I really not going to taste them? Maybe I'll just have to realize that this is too challenging for me ... Now I have extra appreciation for you, as you are changing your eating habits, and all. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you made the decision to spend the money on poor Suri's surgery. I know it was probably very expen$ive, and I know folks might say "but it's just a dog...!" -- to those people I say "yes, but she's a piece of my heart...." <3 .

Melanie L said...

I'm so glad Suri made it through the surgery. Hopefully she'll be as good as new very soon!

16 blessings'mom said...

Melanie, she hasn't had the surgery yet, that's the hard part! She is scheduled for first thing Tuesday morning. It is hell-ish trying to keep her comfy. She somehow figured out how to stand up, and has been walking around and around on three legs. Getting up and lying down are really painful for her, and we have to carry her down the steps to the yard to go to the bathroom, which makes her yelp. But in it all she is so so sweet.

Melanie L said...

Oh, I got confused, when I read about the pickup at the vet, I thought she had the surgery already. I will try to remember to pray for the surgery specifically on Tuesday. And tonight I'll pray for relief from the pain. Sweet dreams for Suri!

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't a fence help keep your dog off the road?

16 blessings'mom said...

Anonymous: Yes, a fence would be amazing to keep her off the road. We live on a country road with a huge yard, so we would have to choose a portion to fence in. I don't like tying dogs up...and usually dogs who are tied up, run when they get the slightest chance. Suri is a people oriented dog, and usually just stays with us outside, runs and fetches her stick, comes in when we tell her it is time. I would rather take her to obedience classes or really work to train her than get a fence. Melanie, thank you! Joni...I feel your pain! My kids made two pans of brownies last night, and the house was filled with that heavenly aroma of baking chocolate. I didn't have any, but I did have some chocolate chips. They are my downfall.

Anonymous said...

I think you should fence in a portion of your yard, one dog learned to chase cars, one dog slammed into cruel oblivion of pain by a fence. Trained or not a dog is a dog and will make it on a road sometime. I would not be able to live with myself, I know you have a good heart and I really don't get how you could let the future come and put your faithful Suri who worships you... Out there with her dog judgment to protect her from the road vs a fence. Your family is talented... If you have to put her out give her a spot. And yes, obviously tying a dog up is cruel.... As cruel as no fence.