summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, May 10, 2020

happy mother here...


From Miss Evelyn Joy...aren't they lovely?


From Paul...the absolutely sweet thing is that he also bought flowers and chocolate for Margaret and Ashley! (He knew we had put together a nice basket for Molly already)

And, Abigail and I went on a little adventure, to buy something really really nice for me!

It's from Marketplace, used, but sold by a retailer. It's a trade-in, totally tuned up, and ready to go. It comes with a free one year tune-up, and free sewing lessons, which...well, they aren't happening these days. But the lady said that if I come into any difficulties or glitches, she would be glad to help however she can, over the phone, or FaceTime.

It was a windy, snowy day here in central NY.

...a cozy day for a ride.


These curbside business deals feel shady, like something more sinister. There we were, in the parking lot of an outlet mall, which normally holds twenty billion cars, all by our lonesomes, on that entire side of the mall. There were some cars parked in front of a few stores, I don't know if they fulfill online orders or what...but it was creepy. So we tried to make straight faces, but couldn't do it. Abigail is too much fun. And of course we were sitting there goofing off, and when the lady's husband arrived to give us the machine, he knocked on my window and we both shrieked like idiots. It's unreal, how these transactions take place now, with such minimal contact.

Anyway, I am excited to get started, and figure out this sleek new machine.

It's Mother's Day, and of course I would like hugs from each of my kids. I would like them to be able to come over, and sit and talk, but they can't, especially the nurses. There are a few who have been coming here right from the start of the lockdown, because Evelyn lives with them part of the time, and helps with little Wulf sometimes, so there is already contact between the two households. Margaret is an essential worker, and Adrian a college student, so they still need some help sometimes, life goes on. So they still come here to visit, and it's been amazing. Yesterday, we added one more of the kids to be visitors, and it was grand. Slowly, but slowly, things will get back to some semblance of normalcy. I cannot help but wonder about the nurses though...I haven't been able to hold baby Ophelia in WEEKS, over two months, or play with and cuddle little Lydia...I know, I know, like every other grandma in the world...but how long will it take for it to be safe to be with them, with their mama a nurse? We can't just live like this for the rest of our lives, I can't even imagine that. I need to hug those little ones.

So it's Mother's Day, and I got up extra early to enjoy the quiet. Paul was gone turkey hunting (he just likes to get out into the quiet outdoors). Suri had gotten into the garbage, and enjoyed a feast of eating all the ham off the hambone I had so sinfully thrown away. I am the only one who would eat bean soup, I love it, pea soup too, but neither of those agrees with my tummy, so...anyway, Suri rooted through the coffee grounds, and had herself a little party in the wee hours of the morning. I cleaned it up, let her out, let her back in, wiped off her paws, gave her water, let the cat out, and back in, then got Sunny from the girls' room, let her out with Suri again, back in and wiped off their paws, then Paul came home, let them both out again...harrumph.

So it's Mother's Day, and my kids pitched in and got me something amazing: money to do a project! I'm forever having these ideas, like fixing the siding on the deck, and putting in some shelve...or making a little deck on the pool, or fixing the hot tub, replacing the gutters, or or or...so the kids decided that I can decide what I want done, and Adrian, bless his heart, has agreed to help/do what I decide on. (I said, "bless his heart", I am turning into an old person.)

So yesterday, we had ham for dinner! I had bought an extra one at Easter, when they were cheap. $1.29 a pound, for a spiral sliced ham! It was so good! We had applesauce and mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli, brown and serve rolls, it was truly a feast. Also: two pumpkin pies, two chocolate pies. The chocolate pies had the crunched up cookies with melted butter crust, oh dear. Yes, I had some, which is always a mistake, because of course it's so good, you only want more, or is that just me?

It's still cold out, spring, where are you? But, it's a good day to get to know the sewing machine...

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

The sewing machine looks like a beauty!!! Happy Mother's Day to you and your family!!

Marilyn said...

Hi Della! A new sewing machine!! What a great gift for you. You can just be sewing up a storm..........And lovely flowers too. Looks like you were having a lovely.......different.......mother’s day. I did too.

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Joybells said...

Hip hip hurray for a new sewing machine! Your kids did good!! Hope you get to see some fun projects once those masks are done. ;)