summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

bye-bye Andy...don't let the door hit you on the way out...

 Everyone deserves a fair trial, I know that.  It could be that all of the eleven women accusing our newly resigned governor were lying.  But I don't think so.  Remember the "You make that gown look good" comment?  You might, because I keep bringing it up.  Apparently, that's not all he said to that intelligent, professional, female doctor who agreed to demonstrate to New Yorkers how easy it was to get a Covid nasal swab test.  But even if he didn't spew sexual innuendoes at that doctor,(she said he said some awful things to her...) he put her down and humiliated her, by saying you make that gown look good.   While this isn't enough to boot someone from office, it gives you an idea of the sort of man he is.  

So he resigned, and I wonder if he will ever have to answer for all those Covid deaths he caused, or for covering up the numbers.  It's not up to me, and honestly, I wish him well.  If he truly apologized and put his life in order, things could go well for him.  

Anyway.  The adventures of camping begin with the adventures of packing for camping.  Our kitchen table is covered with:  a box of Poptarts, instant oat packets, hot chocolate, coffee, mugs, one of the pour-overs, an old tea kettle, a spatula, a lantern, towels and bathing suits, dishwashing liquid, a huge stainless steel bowl for washing dishes, baggies, (I should pack some foil!), marshmallows&chocolate bars&graham crackers, snacks, paper plates, salt&pepper, ketchup&mustard, seltzers, a tablecloth...(need to bring a frying pan!)...

Today, Camille and I went on a quest to get charcoal, and some of those little bottles of propane to fuel the camp stove.  Target, Walmart, Runnings...nope.  Nary a bottle of propane.  Benjamin says he has a lot, so we'll be okay, but we didn't know that at the time ha.  We got the charcoal, and some of the other things on our list, then came home, and ahhhh, the pool.  It was about 88-90 degrees and very humid, so it felt wonderful.  



Dinner tonight:  I marinated the chicken breast in vinegar, salt and pepper, and some chicken seasoning.  Then, onto the grill...it started pouring when I was out there, but the chicken did fine all by it's lonesome out there, it was absolutely delicious.  We had fresh Brussel sprouts, tossed in olive oil and air fried, and the kids had bowtie pasta.  I melted some butter and added garlic powder, and poured it over my chicken and sprouts, after dousing the chicken with ginger.  Yes, I am on a ginger kick.  


The kids went to play volleyball this evening, so it's quiet here.  Paul is looking around for things, we need to pack tents and air mattresses and sleeping bags, and tarps and the red awning, because:  no camper yet ha!  I did let the camper guy know we wouldn't be buying it, but if he somehow didn't sell it and decided to drastically reduce the price, keep us in mind!  Who knows?  I am really hoping something fantastic comes along...

Even kids in school know the difference between needs and wants.  Once you WANT something, it's hard to let it go.  So I have been practicing just being thankful.  

This fine morning, I got to practice that bright and early, way too early.  I had woken at 5:30 to use the bathroom, you know, the old just go back to sleep and hold it, if you get up you'll never fall back to sleep, you're fine, you don't need to go that badly...that voice didn't win, I HAD to go.  So, wide awake!  The birds were singing, I was tossing and turning, then all of the sudden I woke from a dream about buying a new house, with a huge deck, covered in linoleum:  I walked across it, and fell through it!  I was up to my knees in soggy floor, had to crawl away, then I woke to Suri-the Piggy-Dog whining and barking.  I got up, she was out here needing to go outside, we must be on the same pee schedule.  But I think she had to do more than pee, that varmint got into the garbage again!  It was locked, Jonathan got me a locking garbage can for my birthday, because nothing says I love you like a new garbage can, but that stinker of a dog got the top off with it still locked.  She had herself a party!  I had cleaned out the refrigerator a bit yesterday, and yee-haw, she had herself some old hot dogs, and lunch meat, and leftover rice, all strewn about the kitchen mixed with lots and lots of coffee grounds....yay, it's morning!

Well.  Where do you even start?  You can't sweep it, you can't mop it, you just have to pick it all up.  I did mop the floors after picking it up, and it didn't kill me to clean it up, but when pup came back in from outside, I did not pat her on the head, she wagged and wagged and looked at me, tilted her head, and dang it, I just pet her and told her how cute she is.  She knows she shouldn't hog down people food and garbage, but she is a piggy pie.  

Tonight, the garbage can is going back into the laundry room for the night.

(I am thankful she barked and whined and gave me a chance to let her out, instead of making messes all over, because those messes are much worse than garbage on the floor.).   Anyone reading this thinking about getting a puppy?

Samuel says little Ruth Eleanor is doing well, eating and sleeping well, and Grant is not faring too badly as the unseated favorite.  Grace is doing well too, probably feels a million times better than this time last week!  Babies are blessings, but they sure do bring trials with them!

Ah well...the stuff on the table will get packed, at some point, and off we'll go, on Thursday afternoon, just three nights...but when you're tent camping, well, you need to bring all the Just In Case stuff....

5 comments:

Terri D said...

OH my... the puppy and the garbage. Yikes, but thank goodness he went out to do his worst!! Wishing you a very fun camping trip!! Can't wait to hear all about it! xo

Linda said...

It has been so hot, hasn't it? 42 days until fall...anyways, I believe Kathy Hochul is just as bad as Cuomo. SIgh...I so don't want to talk about politics...Hey, hope you have a great time camping my friend. smiles

Michelle said...

Oh those dogs are trouble makers, ha ha! They’re cute but a lot of work (just like kids). :)

When I read the headlines about Cuomo I thought of you lol…I knew you’d be happy. I don’t know if happy is the right word, because I don’t know if his replacement is any less corrupt? But anyway…I’m so tired of politics. I miss when most people didn’t care about politics and just went about life without those extra worries.

Glad to hear Sam & Grace and their new addition are doing well!

~Michelle in FL

Unknown said...

Hi Della ………it will be fun camping with the family 🥰 Is Margaret and her troop going too? And Molly? You mentioned Ben. Hopefully the weather is good too! Too bad about that camper, but you know the saying….if something looks too good to be true it usually is. That floor is what your dream was about!!😂😂 Something will come along and it will be great 😊

We went to the Van Gough Immersive Exhibition yesterday (Google it) and Della it was WONDERFUL! The music was just beautiful too. I would recommend it for sure. It’s travelled all over the world. Fabulous!!

Have a good day!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Terri, I will be writing about it for sure! We get home on Sunday afternoon, and are leaving for Florida early Monday morning, so we'll see when I get around to it!
Linda, stop counting my summer away! I totally get it though ha. It's oppressively humid.
Michelle, they are lots of work, good thing they're cute. And Handy Andy, well, his replacement is a woman, we shall see. If she makes a no mask mandate and outlaws vaccine passports, I'll love her to pieces, but well, that ain't happening in NY.
Marilyn, I'll have to google the Van Gough thing...glad you could go, what fun. Margaret and Adrian and two little guys are going, Emily, Abigail, Mariel are...Ben and Ashley and their girls, then Paul and I and the four that live at home (Sonja, Jon, Char, Cam), Evelyn, and Suzanne will hopefully come up to visit us. Molly and Josh and girls won't be there unless they manage to drive up for a visit, she will be working. We live so close to nice places, this place along the eastern shore of Ontario is about an hour and a half away.