summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, August 27, 2021

who is in charge?!

 No one wants to sit down with their morning and read bad news.  Some people don't read (or watch) the news at all, prefer to stick their heads in the sand and believe that everything is A-Okay.  We don't watch news on the television at all, in fact our television remains black and silent for most of the days.  Sometimes in the evenings, we watch something together, right now we are re-watching Downton Abbey. Blasting bad news into the home is depressing...but, I still feel the need to read up and know what's going on.

Finger pointing, division, name-calling:  I am not interested.  It's pretty obvious that the leadership here in the United States has been appallingly short-sighted, reckless, maybe even cold-hearted about the situation in Afghanistan, but that is...obvious.  

We have some lesser know crises occurring in hospitals all over the country, where vaccines are being mandated...the staff isn't having it, so many are quitting.  I know firsthand of one local hospital that is extremely understaffed, the E.R. has too many patients and not nearly enough nurses to care for them.  It would not be a good time to need emergency care.

In New York State, there are so many businesses looking for help, offering ample wages.  There simply aren't enough workers, whether it's due to the ongoing unemployment benefits, or not, it's an issue.  With vaccine requirements in the works for all workers, it's just going to get worse.  

Whether each of us believe that the vaccine is THE ANSWER or not, mandating it here in the U.S. is going to be messy.  

(For the record, I am NOT anti-Vax!  My kids are all vaccinated, all immunized, caught up with their childhood requirements.  But, does anyone remember in the beginning of this Covid-19, when there was talk about t-cell immunity?  Herd immunity?)(I think this vaccine is a God-send for those who feel protected by it, and believe me, I hope it really helps, and works!)

We are all created as unique individuals, with our own preferences, and our own tendencies.  That's what I love about America, we can be different yet still one people.  The forces in power seem to want to divide us, in so many ways.  It's hard to take a stand, each claim our hill to die on, and still respect those who choose differently.  

In other news, I am leaving soon to go to the grocery store to get supplies for my weekend away!  Five of my daughters are going, how can I be so lucky?  We're staying in a sweet little place on a sweet little lake...I volunteered to get the food, because I like going grocery shopping.  

There are wineries galore in the Finger Lakes region, and so many places we haven't been to.  I like adventuring!  I bought some good coffee, and we're planning our meals:  simple and healthy:

tonight:  taco salad, all the fixings, filling and healthy.

Saturday night:  grilled chicken bowls with rice, avocado and mango.

Sunday:  burgers and sausages, with salad...maybe local sweet corn.

Brekky will be eggs and bacon, or toasted cinnamon raisin breakfast bread (not for me!).  Lunches will be either peanut butter and strawberry jam on wheat bread, or charcuterie board...

Snack:  stove popped popcorn, some chocolate from Switzerland:)

So off I go to shop and gather good things for this weekend...I'll be bringing the laptop, and writing on the blog, so look out for some beautiful pics of sunsets on the lake and the rolling hills of beautiful New York...

Oh, and to answer my own question:  God is in charge.

12 comments:

Sandi said...

God is in charge-- yes! He is. Maybe we don't want to know all the details.

Susan said...

Things are really bad in my little mountain community. Our hospital is so over capacity with Covid patients that they are using the operating rooms ro house them. Doctors are seeing patients in their cars in the hospital parking lot. Sounds like a Mash episode but this is how it is. Primary school is now virtual only and the other schools you have a choice of in-person or virtual. I will say that as of about 10 days ago my state (Georgia) was only 39% vaccinated although with this recent crisis many are rethinking that. Also, just as you say workers are so scarce that all businesses are really hurting. Seeing the loss of life in Afghanistan is just so very terrible and I sorely feel the lack of leadership.
Enough! Have a wonderful weekend and your meals sound delicious!!
♥️♥️♥️♥️Susan

Billie Jo said...

My Dear Friend,
Yes. Yes to it all.
How is this even real?
Prayer.
Prayer.
Prayer.
And have a great time with your girls!!!!

Michelle said...

I’m in Florida and hospitals are pretty full here where I live. Running low on oxygen, people fighting over masks in schools, vaccines, etc. It’s been hard to know who/what to trust since this pandemic started.

I’m a natural skeptic. I have nothing against vaccines, but I’ve been reluctant to get this one. Not because I’m selfish or stupid or uninformed, just because I don’t know if the benefits outweigh the risk (for myself & my family). It doesn’t seem to keep people from spreading it, nor does it protect one from getting sick. So the argument that it’s to protect others around you doesn’t make sense to me. Our hospital system here just admitted that they count all Covid admissions, ICU & deaths as “unvaccinated “ even if a person has had both doses of vaccines but isn’t past the 2-week mark after the 2nd shot. Seems strange and dishonest that they are doing that. And the shots DO come with risks that we’re apparently never allowed to talk about…even though they require us to sign a waiver that no one is held liable (like if we have a severe reaction or death). If they’re so safe, why do we have to agree to that waiver?

I’m babbling on, but…I know you get it. :) :) I’m curious as to what your sons & daughters that are nurses think about you not getting the vaccine?

Linda said...

You already know my thoughts on yesterday. Being married to a former Marine, who is always a Marine (he hates it when I say former), well...its just difficult. I know you know this as your a mom of a soldier. I keep these families and every single service member in prayer.

I have deleted the rest of my thought/comment. No sense in rehashing it...you already know how I feel, period. smiles

16 blessings'mom said...

Sandi, yes, and that's a good point, maybe you don't want to know the details. :)
Susan, it is a rough virus. The Afghanistan mess, ugh. Heartbreaking.
Billie Jo, yes, prayer, it's such a good reminder!
Michelle, I totally get it: not selfish, stupid, or uninformed, just the benefits/risk question. We have not been able to make good clear decisions based on facts during this, but rather pressured and shamed. The fact that for a drug to be granted emergency status from the FDA, it has to be the only thing that works, so the drug companies had to diss ever other option of treatment. There have been successes, and studies, that have proven that other treatments work, but they have been silenced or dismissed. My nurse son thinks I should get the vaccine, because he works at Stanford and sees patients there who are unvaccinated, and very sick. But, he doesn't press it, and understands my reasons not to get it at this time. My daughters who are nurses also respect my reasoning. They do NOT like the pressure, or the forcing, not at all. Nurses are quitting their jobs all over the country at the forced vaccination policies. For me, the question is whether I have t-cell immunity, or have build up a resistance, having had it in the house. I mean, Paul had it, and was really sick, and there were times he simply needed to be hugged and snuggled. I cannot even imagine putting on a mask and distancing from him at that time, no sir, in sickness and in health, he needed me. I was pretty exposed, right? And then the Sonja coffee thing. Yes, I was exposed, yet I didn't get sick. I had had a sore throat around that time, did I just fight it off? Or did I indeed have it over a year ago when I came home from California, when it was all starting....I don't know. But, if I didn't get it when I was totally and completely exposed, why would I get it passing by someone in the store? And if I didn't get it, why would I get vaccinated? The vaccine carries risks, and why would I put that in my body and risk a stroke, blood clot, or worse? At this time, I feel at rest in my decision.
Linda, you can write anything you want to on my blog, although honestly, I only say things half strength sometimes. I have two military sons,(Army) my Ben was in Afghanistan as a medic, and Samuel was infantry, but stationed at Arlington, so he missed out on the action, thank the Lord, he is such a softhearted guy, oh my goodness. He is still in the reserves, but isn't going to renew because with two kids now, does NOT want to be deployed. Benjamin has some issues, I don't think any one of those guys can come home from such a thing without having some degree of PTSD. He's doing better, but I think this whole thing just kills him. And I am heartsick about it all, those families of those soldiers, and just all of it. I wanted to be the better person, when Joe was elected, I wasn't going to be rude and disrespectful and say things like, "Not my president", but now I am just disgusted. He doesn't have any more sense than a rock, someone is pulling the strings, and I don't like it one little bit. And now I'll be quiet, Linda, before I say hateful things. Thank you for commenting!

Terri D said...

Terrible news and I agree with your thoughts. The menu sounds great and I look forward to reading more about your weekend! xo

Cheryl said...

I love reading the comments as much as your blog!! It's just so good to see where people are coming from!!
Have a great weekend.. I told Susan tonight that if I'd known, I would have grabbed her spot 😳😂😷

Elizabeth said...

Hi Susan,
People are not fully vaccinated until two weeks after receiving the second vaccine. They do not have full immunity until the two weeks have passed. Thus, it i not dishonest for hospitals to consider those who aren't past the two week mark as unvaccinated, because they do not have full immunity yet.

Michelle said...

It’s Michelle, not Susan:) And yes, I do understand that one is not considered fully vaccinated until 2 weeks after the last shot, but it should be a separate category because if you have 2 shots, you are not truly “unvaccinated”. Maybe a category for Partially vaccinated?

American Housewife said...

The experimental 'vaccine' (not a vaccine by legal definition) only produced antibodies for about 6 months. The latest tests (this week) are showing at 8 months there are no anti-bodies left anyway. So... a third booster. And a fourth. And a.... But we've also seen example after example of fully vaccinated people getting sick with the virus anyway.

So if you give in to let them inject experimental drugs into your arm to produce spike proteins to appease those pushing for it and save your job to stay employed (even though we now see whether you GET Covid or not, and how badly you get it has little to do with the vaccine and more your general health, your immunity, etc.) - the question is; *do you now have to keep getting the boosters every 6 months to keep that same job???*

It's a 'leaky vaccine' which means variants and mutations are going to continue to appear. A win for big Pharma... but at what loss to us?

Pam said...

It sounds like you are off to a wonderful weekend! To be so lucky! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Hope you have an amazing time!

Grace & Peace,
Pam