summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, August 7, 2021

My son Samuel, little Grant, and Grace, for their last pic as a family of three!
Then voila!  Ruth Eleanor was born yesterday!  Of course it wasn't that simple, but she is here!
Just a few hours old, and already looking so alert...she is our tenth grandchild, and I love her already.

She is down in Virginia, and I want to see her, not sure how soon that will happen, but I am super thankful for the communication and technology we have these days.  Years ago, it would've been a long distance phone call, some photos taken, then developed, then sent in the mail...

Our deck party was not totally destroyed by mosquitoes.  I sprayed the yard a bit with Cutter, then we put plates with those mosquito coils burning on them, and had OFF!, but...when it started to get dark, out they came in droves.  They haven't been too bad this summer, but the rain we had, or just the time of year, I don't know, but they have arrived.  

That didn't deter too much.  We were able to eat on the deck:  pulled pork nachos with all the toppings, including tomatoes from the garden, grilled burgers, and corn on the cob.  There were a few margaritas, I only had a sip, but oh my, it was good.  I was happy with my diet root beer and a few no sugar seltzers.  

The party continued inside, where we watched some Olympic highlights, and solved the world's problems.

Today is a blank slate. I've watered my flowers, forgetting that we had a little downpour of rain last night, put chorine in the pool and turned on the filter, puttered through the garden, taking note of what will be ready to be picked soon, tended to the doggies and kitties (those cats know when I'm making my morning coffee, they are THERE for a bit of cream!)

Summer mornings in bare feet, there is nothing like them.  The flowers in full bloom, the warmth, but the knowledge that the earth is in the process of tilting away from that sun, and autumn is coming...I liked it better when I was a kid, and summertime was just endless.

We had some fun yesterday, went to the thrift store.  I found a Maxine bathing suit, never worn, for $6.99. The girls found a few things, then we found out at the register that the credit card server was down, so it was cash only.  I had a twenty in my purse, and a five, the total came to:  $24.48.  phew.  We didn't have to put anything back!

Ah well.  I won't ruin a perfectly peaceful post with any talk about mandates or harassment charges or impending impeachments, not today...

 

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Aw, congratulations! She’s beautiful.

Unknown said...

Good morning! I just heard a few claps of thunder 😬😬 I was planning on going to the big Labrador speciality dog show!! I have several friends showing their beautiful doggies. I’ll have to see.

Your new baby Ruth is beautiful πŸ’ž Congratulations to everyone………such a blessing.

I’m glad your party was fun even though the mozzies showed up. They LOVE me……because I’m so sweet, and never bother my hubby….because he’s not!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ That’s what I tell him anyway.

You always find good bargains at the thrift store!! Enjoy your day!

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful new grand daughter! Little Grant certainly looks like his daddy. I love all of the lush greenery in your area, but have heard that the east coast has significantly more mosquitos and other bugs than here in California. I am very happy that there are very few annoying insects in my area near the coast. I enjoyed all of the pictures of your summer church conference...what a beautiful location.

Laurie in California

Terri D said...

You sure have good luck at the thrift stores! I enjoyed catching up on your news! xo

Linda said...

Aw...congratulations...I am so happy for your family. Ruth Eleanor is so beautiful, smiles. HA on your last thoughts, grinning.

Susan said...

Welcome to the world Ruth, you are going to love your new family especially Grandma Della!♥️♥️♥️♥️

16 blessings'mom said...

Michelle, thank you!
Marilyn, that's why they don't bother me as much! Thrift store shopping is too much fun, especially with a group of girls.
Laurie, we do have a good share of insects, but in the north, my understanding is that we don't have the bigger spiders, in general, nor the roaches (at least around here, and no I am not superstitious, but I feel that if I write that we don't have them, oh no!!!!). Of course when the weather cools, there are none, so that's a plus. Two feet of snow, but no mosquitos! I do love the green here, when my son was in Washington state, he would comment on my pics because it was so dry there. I'm headed to California next week, I remember going in the summer a few years back, and it was so brown and dry, but so beautiful too. We live in an amazing country! And yes, our church conference center is quite lovely, such a good place.
Terri, sometimes we find good things, sometimes not, but it's so much fun.
Linda, thank you!
Susan, that is so sweet, but she is, isn't she? :)