summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

one more night in the big comfy bed....

 Did you know that I am the Princess and the Pea?  Yes, I am.  We have a Sleep-number bed, and I'm not getting a penny to say that, also because I don't love it, so ha, but then we have like three things on top of that, foam mattresses, foam mattress cover, ect.  It's a very comfy bed, but still, not always comfy enough. I wake up with a sore hip, or my arm is asleep, but I can't blame it ALL on the bed.  or can I?

Anyway, I usually take this monstrous plug in inflatable mattress camping.  It's one of those double high ones, a queen sized...you have to plug it in, our old van had an electric outlet...well, last time we went, last year, was the time when our van decided to poop out on us on the highway to the campground, all laden with camping equipment.  The nice guy who looked suspicious but was actually nice, followed us home to make sure we made it safely.  We then unloaded the van and took the new Mitsubishi, which was smaller, and didn't have the means to inflate my bed.  Benjamin and Evelyn carried that heavy mattress to the bathhouse, inflated it, and carried it back.  It was embarrassing, but oh well, comfort before pride!

I am not bringing it this year because it has a leak, and do you think we've taken the time to carry it to the living room and check it out and patch it?  No, no sir, instead I picked up a full-sized, regular, every day air mattress from Walmart for $12.97.  Will I die?  Most likely not, but I can feel the pain already.

The mattress is low, so I'll have to somehow get down onto it, then somehow get up in the morning!  I am bound and determined, of course, to not have to pee during the night.

Our home for three nights...it has a cover too.  It has to fit Paul and I and Sunny, maybe Suri too.  The other tent is for Sonja, Jon, Char, and Cam.  

Ben and Ashley have a campsite too, with their little girls.  Emily, Abigail, Mariel have a campsite, and Margaret & Adrian and their little boys will be pitching a tent on it too.  

The pool...because I absolutely treasure it.
Mail!  For me!  I mini-panicked because bikini.  I only wear bikinis in those dreams I have sometimes when I keep looking down at my fabulous body, saying, "What happened?  I thought I was fat!".  These were not bikinis though, it was just a trick!  They are big girl bathing suits, you know, bathing DRESSES.  They ARE two pieced though, which if fanny-tastic.  I can run in and use the bathroom without pulling down the whole shebang.  

One of these is staying, one is going back to China.   

This one is going back, which is a bummer, I really like it, love the color, love the support, BUT:  the girls just don't fit in it.  (Can we still call them girls?  Or do they go by them?).  I should've taken a pic of me in it, picture my tan, with the white skin of things that are normally covered, which, in my humble and prudish opinion SHOULD be covered, all hanging out over the top.  It was a NO, but wah, I liked the suit, it just needed to be bigger on the top. 

This, by the way, is not me, ha.  I am keeping this suit.  It doesn't look like that on me....the top is much smaller, and I am not covered up enough for my liking, but I love love love the color of it, and therefore am keeping it.

Anyway, so much excitement!  We are halfway packed, Sonja is taking the packed Mitsubishi to work tomorrow, ha, then leaving for camping later in the day.  Paul and I have to take the doggies to the vet first, then on to the campgrounds.  

I really hope the rain forecast for tomorrow and tomorrow evening doesn't come, the weekend looks decent after that.  If one has a camper, one doesn't mind a bit of rain, but tenting, ugh.

Oh well...tomorrow will be a busy day, have to grill ten pounds of chicken breast, cut up some peppers, and make pasta salad.  Our meals are to be simple, burgers tomorrow, then the chicken on Friday in fajitas, then Saturday will be "cook on a stick" night, with hot dogs, coneys, sausages.  The sides?  Pasta salad, for as long as it lasts.  We'll have eggs for brekky, or instant oats for the kids who would rather.  We have coffee, tea, cocoa, and seltzer...I probably forgot like ten things, and all efforts to engage the rest of the fam to help brainstorm keep ending in getting off the subject...we have to remember to pack more chairs, and and and...it's just for three days, whatever we forget, we can live without, right?


6 comments:

Terri D said...

So much work for a camping trip! I wish you all a wonderful time and hope you won't be in too much pain!! Hoping we can look forward to some photos! I like the bathing suit you kept and your pool is lovely!! xo

Mert said...

Shhhhh- when I pee in my one piece I pull the bottom to the side, squat and pee. No contact, no pee on the seat and no undressing! Also- your newest grand baby is such a smiling wonder! ❤️

Unknown said...

Oh Della I hope it doesn’t rain……….. in my opinion there is not many things worse than camping in a tent in the rain. Horrible experiences I won’t tell about now, but believe me awful ๐Ÿ˜ž But you are such a good sport and go with the flow etc. You are so funny…..Princess and the Pea……….Brahahahahahahaha ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ You make me laugh. The bathing suits (known as cozzies in Australian) are both lovely. We will want a picture for sure. Have a super, duper time with all the gang………

Marilyn from Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

16 blessings'mom said...

Terri, I woke up bright and early in my comfy bed, with an aching hip, and thought OH NO, what am I thinking? But I'll survive, right? I'll take lots of pics.
Mert, I've thought of that, hmm. Good idea, really.
Marilyn, tell us! Tell us the horror stories!

Betty said...

Reading this brought back memories of my girlfriend's and I camping 45 years ago at Westcott beach ( not am I getting old!) Weather forecast called for rain and we had heard if you dig a trench around your tent it wud keep the water out, well we did but did not allow for a trench at the corners to divert out. Needless to say the downpour came the tent had water inside and we slept the nite in the car! Went home the next day lesson learned. Hope u have a great time, enjoy.

16 blessings'mom said...

Betty, did you know that Westcott beach is where we camped?! I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not! It must be an old-school thing, because 45 years ago, and even before that, when I was a kid, we always dug trenches around our campsites, my dad insisted. It kept us busy, I guess, I thought my dad was just crazy, but he said it was a Boy Scout thing. The funny thing is, Betty, that we camped there when I was a kid, I probably saw you there 45 years ago! I was eleven then....I did think of getting everyone up and getting into the car the other night with the wind, but it didn't end up being that terrible...