summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

still here!

 Our summer conference has been so excellent.  It's been a celebration for the children.  Waterslides, inflatables, the new playground, a huge game of capture the flag, glow-in-the-dark night in the gym, and yesterday:  Olympics.  They all got gold medals, and as little Anne put it, it was a huge tie.

(Emily, just because...a rare moment with her relaxing...)
With Miss Anne and her gold medal...

The dollhouse play area...yes, those are all my toys, it's fun to bring them out to share.
Tennyson!
This was during the youth camp before we served one of the best meals:  bbq ribs, steak, pork chops, homemade Mac and cheese, homemade cornbread, baked beans, coleslaw...they LOVED it.
My daughter Sonja, friend Carmen and her brother Noel, my Camille with my Jon behind her in orange with a flower crown, cousin Grace, my Charlotte Claire, and my Evelyn.
Granddaughter Lydia before the children's meeting.
Okay, my daughters Abigail, Camille, Sonja, friend Annika, my Char, my Margaret, and cousin Grace with Tennyson.

It's been so nice to be with friends from far and near, we've had such gorgeous sunny weather.  Today, the fun continues with a water/foam party for the kids, and a street carnival with cotton candy, snow cones, popcorn, and lots of other food.  

My youth kids are so tired.  Sonja started her new job this week, working an office at her college, just until classes begin.  She's been staying up so late with her friends from the conference, playing volleyball in the gym, then getting up and going to work.  ugh, but what fun, right?  Good, clean fun.

The thing I love about being with my friends at a conference is that it's so absolutely peaceful.  Oh there are crying babies, and kids who maybe fall off their bike and cry, but other than that...it's so good.  When each person, of their own accord, battles their own sin, then how can there not be peace?  When a group of people gathers together, and each one is fighting to keep their heart pure, how can there be any arguing?  When these people are looking out not for their own interests, but of others, and desire to bless and give and are living to please God, where else would one want to be?  

It's refreshing, and encouraging, and I am full of thankfulness.  I have to get moving here soon...I got up and watered the garden, put the hose in the pool, and then found out that one of the pups got the loaf of bread, no idea how she reached it...it made her tummy upset, and you guessed it, I stepped in...never mind.  Bare feet, squish.  It was all over the couch covers, good thing we cover the couch.  It was on my nice yellow rug, good thing that can be machine washed.  Anyway, I had plenty to keep me busy this fine morning, between vacuuming up the dog hair (it seems like we MUST have ten dogs, the piles of hair!), and cleaning up messes.  

I have to leave soon, because I'm helping clean this morning at the conference.  I'll be helping with snow cones this afternoon, and then who knows, but I know it'll be a busy tiring rewarding day!

I do have to say this though, my little disclaimer:  I have to be awake, and listen to what God is saying to me, all the live-long day.  Honestly, it's those little thoughts that make or break me!  NO, I am NOT going to agree with that thought!  I am NOT going to judge her.  I am NOT going to have an inquisition to find out who left a half a can of seltzer on the coffee table, or who left this wrapper on the floor, or who left a load of towels in the washer, or or or.  

(You understand I am not saying that I just clean up after everyone and be quiet, that's not it at all.  It's battling the complaining in myself, and of course I will say something sometimes and encourage/make the kids clean up after themselves.)

We have feelings, and that's fine, but sometimes they get hurt, and we can't help that, but then if the thoughts come to blame or be offended or get bitter, THEN I really need to fight, to keep my heart pure.

Just think, someday we will stand before God, and to be able to say, I have fought the good fight of faith, I have finished my course...



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Della……..what a lovely time you are all having and what a beautiful place that is!! Boy……lots of work went into all of this. Everyone looks to be enjoying themselves very much….and why wouldn’t they? You all have done a lot of work so it must be very satisfying to see it is so beautiful and so successful 👏👏👏👏

I know what you mean about dog hair 😵‍💫😫 Mine are really shedding something awful too. Just as well they are adorable.I have a big powerful Dyson vacuum…..the animal one…….and I vacuum every other day and the hair is enough to make a mattress!! 😬

Keep having fun!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Linda said...

(((thinking))) yeah...I fully understand what your saying...and sometimes, my mouth and what it comes with---gets me in trouble...as does my temper...smiles

Terri D said...

Well said and well done. Thanks for catching us up on the conference and how it is going! xo

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, I actually thought the other day that I could stuff a pillow, probably a pillow a week, with their awful shedded hair, but who on earth would want that, yuck!
Linda, yes, some of us get ourselves into trouble quite easily ha.
Terri, it's been fantastic!