summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, September 17, 2021

a parade, you say?

Many years ago, when we were still knee deep in small children, when we had one in every size, my father-in-law would tease me, and say, "Here comes the parade!"  

But this parade is The Parade of Homes.  Seven brand new houses, different builders, designers, decorators, suppliers, all built in the same neighborhood.  When the houses are finished but not yet occupied, the general public can, for a small fee, tour the homes.  This has proved a very favorite activity for my younger girls, they just get a kick out of seeing the luxury details in these houses.  When they were smaller, they were very interested in housing design, and have fond memories of our house tours.

So, this afternoon, yes, we are going to the Parade!  Miss Charlotte Claire has half a day of school, shh, not officially, but there's a pep rally, and other such um...nonsense?  Now, that's not nice, but to HER, it's not interesting, so she gets to be picked up early, and we'll go on our tour.

Jonathan is going camping with some friends this weekend, up in the Adirondacks, climbing another high peak, so it'll just be the three girls here this weekend with Paul and I.  The thing is, it's never actually quiet here because so many of the kids live in the area, and you never know who'll be over for a visit.  Last evening, for example, Margaret and Adrian were here with Wulf and Tennyson, then Emily, Abigail, and Mariel stopped over.

Emily was taking blood pressures...I didn't get pics of Sonja practicing, but as a first year nursing student, that's what she does.  Wulf loves playing doctor.
(Sorry Mariel, I know you didn't want to be in this pic!)
Tennyson thinks everything is fun.  He can climb onto the couch now, but oh dear, he has no clue how dangerous it is for a small child to walk on a couch, right near the edge, then he'll turn around and sit near the edge, ugh, this old grandma gets nervous!  

Their faces though!  So precious!

The pot pies came out delicious.  I sent one over to Emily/Abigail/Mariel for dinner...they all work full time, and work out after work, and last night there was a meeting, I figured they could use a break from making dinner.

Into the oven!
A bit of salt and pepper on top, mmm.
They aren't beautiful, but they sure tasted good, that buttery flaky crust!  

Well, have a wonderful weekend, enjoy your days, stay away from the news, or at least keep it to a minimum, and appreciate the gift that is life...


5 comments:

Faith said...

HI! I saw your comment on my blog GOld in the Clouds and just HAD to see who you are!!

Where in Central NY???? I'm originally from Herkimer (yuck...SOOOOO sad of a village now) and my parents moved to Mohawk when I was in college out in Rochester (RWC). But central NY, to me, is anywhere from the edge of Amsterdam all the way through to the end of Syracuse and north as far as Tug Hill and south as far as Oneonta/Finger Lakes so......am curious. ANd WOW WOW WOW!! 16 children???????? HOW in the world did you guys afford that? I have 2. and College was challenging enough with them even with almost full scholarships.

I love that some of your family are hikers. I've been hiking my entire life so......

I'm so happy to meet you and your pies sound yummy. I"m making a vegan pot pie (all veggies and rice) this weekend for Sunday dinner after church. (We are members at Grace Fellowship/Latham but I was raised Free MEthodist in Herkimer).

Looking forward to hearing from you!

thanks for visiting my blog and i hope your daughter had fun on her home tour. (My youngest is named Claire!)

Terri D said...

I love how busy your family is and how you all love being together! The pot pies look yummy, as I am sure they were! Always a lovely visit here! xo

Billie Jo said...

How awesome are you to make delicious dinners for your family! So thoughtful! Have a wonderful weekend, my friend. Enjoy your beautiful family!

16 blessings'mom said...

Faith, hello! I grew up in North Syracuse, we built our house out here north of Weedsport, in a more rural area, small school district, ect. My husband grew up south of here in Port Byron, and went to college in Rochester too! It's nice to meet you! (New York is a beautiful state, isn't it?). As for the 16 kids, and how did we afford it...well, it was tricky sometimes, to be honest, but they never went without anything. Coupons, sales, ect. My husband is also a very hard worker, and has a decent job. Paying for college isn't something we just do for them, we help them with books, and gas money if they commute, but some of them have loans. And shh, I am NOT a hiker, nope. I hike through Target, and maybe a nice walk in the woods, but somehow lots of my kids love it. My husband used to hike too, lots of the high peaks. Two of my daughters took a trip to Utah in the spring and went to the National parks to hike. (I love the name Claire!).
Terri, they were so good, I had been hankering to make them for so long, we ate it all up in one night, no leftovers, so now I just have to make them again!
Billie Jo, I love do to things like that, as I know you do, it's special to be able to bless your family.

Unknown said...

Good morning Della 😊 Those pies sire do look good………yum! I have a yummy recipe for chicken pot pie soup and really good too. I can’t eat gluten so pies are out for me. Did you have fun at the parade of homes? I love doing that too. It’s rather cool here this morning…….8C 😳 Yesterday it was 5Cat 7.30am 😳 It warms up during the day though thank goodness. Have a wonderful day Della 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦