summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

my inheritance...

 

This rolling pin is my most treasured earthly possession.  It was my father's mother's, so paternal grandmother's.  She died when I was 3 or 4.  She had 12 children (only 2 of my father's siblings are still alive), but somehow my mother ended up with her rolling pin.  My memories of my mother using this, and her saying it was  seasoned....oh dear, my heart.
Pumpkin pie, ready to go into the oven...
Here's another one, only this one is sugar free.  (it has a bit of stevia in it), and I know, the crust is bad bad bad too, but oh well.
It just seemed like a pie making day!  It's in the oven now, and smells heavenly.

Here's something interesting:


But shh, I won't go on one of my rants today, although I'll mention that I saw a study out of Ottowa mentioning that 32 out of approximately 32,000 people who were vaccinated were hospitalized for heart issues, serious myopericarditis...

Again, I'm not saying I'm against vaccination, I just think the other side of the story needs to be told.   

But right now, pumpkin pie!  It doesn't look as beautiful as it smells, I stabbed them too many times to see if they were done.  This one is sugar free:

...and both of them:
Smother them with homemade whipped cream, and they'll be fine.



Suri is suspicious of my phone pointed at her.  She is such a good dog, but she is a total trash monster.   She can get the laundry room door open, knock down the trash can (the new one, with the locking top), get the top right off the can, and have a feast.  Last night, we put the can right outside on the deck, chancing that the raccoons are as savvy as Suri, but it stayed safe.  She's hungry, she says.  She is so cute, how can you get mad at that face?  (We know Sunny's not the culprit, because being the spoiled brat that she is, she sleeps in our room). (What??!!!  She misses us in the night if she's not in there!  Whine, whine, whine...)

Anyway.  Dinner is in the oven!  I marinated some pork chops in vinegar, salt and cracked pepper, then rolled them in olive oil, and onto a pan... then cubed up some russet potatoes and an acorn squash from our garden, salt and pepper, olive oil, and on a pan in the oven.  It's starting to smell even better in here, if that's possible.

Life is more than good food and good smells and getting the floors cleaned, but those things are so comforting and nice.  It's rainy today, and I totally love it.  Dark, gloomy, breezy, mmm.  I mean, afternoon coffee on a dark rainy day, with dinner IN the oven, wowza.  




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Della………….those pets look really good. I have some frozen GF pie shells in the freezer and seeing these gave me a hankering for some pumpkin pie 🥧 Maybe I’ll wait till Thanksgiving which is October 11th here. Yes pile on the whipped cream and yummo 😋 Our dogs both sleep in our bedroom in their kennels………no door on them…….they LOVE their kennels and they always go into their own! Like their own little caves. Your rolling pin is indeed a treasure. Wow it’s made a LOT of pies 🥧 I just went for a wonderful walk in our river valley with Bindi. Such a beautiful day here. All the fall colours, but not as nice as yours though. The east has magnificent colours. Anyway enjoy those pies and supper sounds wonderful!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Terri D said...

I am not a pumpkin anything person but they do smell good! Dinner sounds yummy!! Dogs are so funny... they know when they have been bad and look at you so sad. How can you not forgive them? LOL I enjoyed my visit here! xo