summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

all the ruckus...and the things I like...

 Yesterday was one of those days where I did nothing yet it was busy.  I swept and mopped and did laundry, washed dishes, and the usual picking things up and straightening things out.  I didn't leave the house, but I did talk to Margaret, and Kathryn, and Abigail, and Sam.  I texted a few of the other kids, too.  Sonja left for nursing school, came home and had lunch, did some work, then went to the hospital for clinical.  She doesn't have a car, and I have a nice new car, so guess who ends up without a car?  mm.  hmmm.

Sam almost brought Grant up here, again.  The daycare situation is dire:  another child in his class tested positive, so Grant is automatically out of daycare for ten days.  Grace had a baby at the beginning of this school year, little Ruth, she used up her time off. (Grace is a teacher)  Samuel does not get paid when he takes a day off from work.  So, Sam was going to drive Grant all the way up from Virginia to stay with me for a while, but Grace's dad, bless his kind heart, heard of this and said, nonsense.  I'll watch him!  He only lives a few hours from them, so it works much better.  The bad part is that you pay ahead for daycare, they make the rules, and you don't get reimbursed.  So they're paying big money for not having him there, yet not getting paid when they stay home with him.  

Anyway.  I do have a very busy schedule today.  I have to call the orthopedic surgeon to schedule Camille's surgery.  The office called yesterday and wanted to do it next week!  All off the sudden, Omicron is dropping off the charts, and the hospitals can do elective surgeries again.  Well, Camille has to many plans to be able to fit it in next week, as the recovery is long and hard.  (Her knee has dislocated three times, so she's do to have a cadaver tendon put in place to hold that knee tight)(she can choose to use one of her own tendons from her other leg, but that's much more invasive)

I thought I'd steal from Billie Jo,  the things I like, the things I don't like...

But first:

The things I love:

1.  The gospel.  I am absolutely apprehended of the hope of salvation, that God can do such a work in me, that I can be freed from the sin that so easily entangles.  My deepest longing is to actually live a life that is pleasing to God, to be an example, so that others draw near to Him, and can experience such a hope too.

2. Unity.  I love when people get along with each other peacefully.  

3.  My friends.  I am blessed with a group of friends, an enduring fellowship, years of getting together in goodness.  

4. Paul.  My husband is a conundrum.  He's not extremely social, yet he cares so much for people.  He works so hard, is honest to a fault, and he lives to please God in all of it.  He takes good care of himself in that he works out every day, eats clean and healthy.  He's not strong and opinionated, he weighs both sides.  He's very peaceable.  He has learned to sleep on a problem, and pray about things.  He has a wicked sense of humor, and is lots of fun.  He LOVES the grandkids, and spoils them.  He gets out all the toys when they come over, and frequently buys new ones from the Dollar General.  As in any marriage, it's not always sunshine and roses, as we are sometimes on different wavelengths, but he is truly patient and forgiving and sometimes when someone is good when you KNOW you're being difficult, it wakes you up, ha.  

5.  The kids.  How can I sum up in one paragraph?  I can't, so I won't, same with the grandkids.

Things I like:

1.  Food.  Steak, grilled burgers, taco salad.  I like chocolate, and I like coffee.  I like when I shake the cream up, so it's foamy on top.  (I do not like when someone puts the top on too loosely and I don't check before shaking it up)

2.  The pups.  They are a royal pain, yet they are so hilarious and people-like.  I think they like me too.

3.  Grocery stores.  I like them here and there and everywhere.  On vacation, love to check out the Piggly Wiggly, Publix, WinCo, Fred Meyer, Safeway.  Locally, it's Aldi, Tops, Price Chopper.  I like looking at the weekly ads online, to see if it's worth going to get beef...sirloin steak is $3.99 a pound at P.Chopper this week, so I'll definitely go there.  Otherwise, mostly it's Aldi.

4.  Target, Walmart, thrift stores, online marketplace...

5.  Planning things.  My latest plan is in cahoots with Cheryl, my sister.  We are planning a weekend Getaway for our friends, 12 of us, at a huge Airbnb with a hot tub, on several acres of property, with a lake view, and lake access, and a pond...I budgeted $30 each for meals, and am planning some good ones!

6.  The feeling of bare feet in sand, and that first moment of stepping into the water...ahhh.  Bare feet in grass, too, with the sound of a lawn mower, and that smell of freshly cut grass.

7.  How chocolates, nice chocolates, look on the top, that smoothness...molded chocolates impress me too.

8.  Rocking babies and small children.  Extra points if they fall asleep in my arms.  

9. I'm torn on the cats, they belong in both the "like" section, and the "hate" section, even though there will be no "hate" section.  (they knock things off the counter that they are not even allowed on, they meow to come in, then saunter as slowly as possible, or change their mind altogether, only to meow again a few minutes later.  

10.Fun.  I like to have fun, anywhere from a bit of fun, to TOO much fun.   As I mentioned on one of the blogs I visited, I like to laugh until my stomach hurts, but unfortunately, that happens to me at inappropriate times...imagine laughing through an entire funeral, and a calling hours, and a solemn and beautiful wedding.  It's not actually funny.

11.Traveling!  In the last two years, I've gone to Florida,(like six times)  Oregon twice, California three times...and before that, Norway, Ireland, France, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, then of course several different states.  I always like to explore new places, but I always like to come home, because I do love home.

12. That Canadian convoy!  Go, Canada!  

Things I don't like:

1.  Kids getting yelled at in Walmart.

2.  Seafood, except for haddock, preferably breaded and fried.

3.  Ketchup, mustard, mayo...I know, I am Ms. Pickypants.

4.  Hearing stories about broken bones or accidents.  I WILL faint.  I mean, you're watching a football game, someone falls and twists a limb backwards, and they show it OVER and OVER again.  Really??!

5.  Backbiting.  I wish I could say that I've never ever done it, because it's awful.  I do however, have hope to be awake and aware, and never do it again.

6.  Cancel culture.  Let's just agree to disagree, and let those who have different ideas just have different ideas, okay?  

7.  Lying in the "news".  Remember the story of the border guards whipping the immigrants?  It wasn't true.  The "whip" was actually the reins for the horse.  Even Pres. Biden condemned it, without verifying the truth.  I'm still waiting for them all to apologize to that border guard.

8.  All of the censorship... 

9.  Hippies who grew up and decided the government is actually caring and trustworthy.

10.  When servers have to mask to wait on unmasked guests.   It's appalling.  Also when you see the plethora of politicians unmasked, lying when they get "caught".  No one would care, if they hadn't just ranted about how important it is to mask.

11.  "The View".  nope.   

12.  Dirty floors.  This one has been challenging, as I did have 16 kids, and once upon a time, they all lived at home.  We had no dogs in the house back then, just inside the door, then when Camille turned two we got that sheepdog...but still, it was so hard to keep the floors clean!  I also hate sticky.  Imagine, having so many kids, and hating sticky.  I would sit there with them while they ate, and wash their hands when they got too messy, therefore teaching them that we don't just get all yucky when we eat.   I didn't SAY that, I just taught them by keeping them clean.   They grew up into neat eaters, at the table.  I couldn't have crumbs and mess all over the house!  And believe me, our house was a mess sometimes, but not from sticky and crumbs, just toys and clean laundry and of course the laundry MOUNTAIN in the doorway of the laundry room...

13.  Pill-y blankets or sheets.  'nuff said.

14.  Driving in the snow, walking in winter when it's icy.  

15. Being fat.  I thought once I decided to lose weight, it would be a nice downward tumble into small sizes, but it's been years and years of fighting, maintaining, losing, gaining...it's not like you can just lose weight, then eat what you want.  I don't like being so absorbed by it, but I have to, or I'll gain that 70 pounds back.  I do try to keep quieter about it though, it can be so damaging to daughters...

16. Cold feet.  I've reached that point in the winter where I could say a lot of things about it, but I'll be done...but shh, I can't wait until spring!

I'm done for now, I've started and stopped here like twenty times.  I've gone to Walmart for a new clock, and a new rug over by the door (Jonathan came in with something oily on his boots last week.).  Miss Charlotte Claire took a day off from school, shh, and Camille came along too.  We got fun things too, like fruit snacks and seltzers and some one dollar shirts for some little granddaughters.  Then, the thrift store where Char found Zara jeans new with the tags, and some other nice clothes.  



Now, home...ahh, home.  But, I've got to get up and make dinner, because it's Activity Club night, and Lydia is being dropped off here to go with me....meatballs tonight.

Random pic:  Sonja's hair...pretty, right?

Have a good day!


3 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I LOVED your Likes and Dislikes! And your LOVES!!!!! Thank you for sharing because now I feel as if I know more about you! We are quite similar, my friend. So much to comment on, but here are a few things...I, too, dislike kids getting yelled at in Walmart! I always feel so sad. Really sad. I try as hard as I can to be nonjudgmental. But I hate seeing children treated poorly. Whenever anyone asks me what I would do if I had a wish or won a million dollars, I always say that I wish no child would be hungry, scared, cold, or lonely. I also love grocery stores! And making lists and getting fresh, good food. The View?!?! I can't. I can't even watch it to disagree! It makes my blood pressure rise! So many other things, dear lady. Just know you are an awesome mom and a fantastic blogger!!!

Stacy said...

You are so blessed in that your husband is a man following Jesus's example. My hubby is a good man, but after a rough time in a former church he threw up a wall when it comes to church, studying the Word, fellowshipping...just all of it. Like I said...he's a good man, but there's a world of difference between a good man and a godly man. I just keep praying he will be able to forgive and let go one day.

16 blessings'mom said...

Billie Jo, if I had a million dollars...my soul just aches when I see kids in need. One Walmart trip a few years ago, three different kids were being yelled at, and I heard a distinctive slap from an aisle over, then crying, but didn't see it. So I was crying in Walmart too.Thank you for your kind comment!
Stacy, I'll pray for your husband too. Forgiving and letting go can be so hard, especially when you aren't really wrong, so it's tricky. I was talking to one of my sons the other day, and a situation was extremely frustrating, and my son was RIGHT, but: getting all upset is not the answer! Dial it down, take a breath! When you actually need to let it go and humble yourself is exactly when, humanly speaking, you have every REASON to be upset, not when things are easy peasy. I do believe that Satan has a field day when someone gets offended, then that root of bitterness grows and flourishes, so we do have to be on guard. It's a fight, for sure.