summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, February 25, 2022

snowy blowy Friday!


 ...but we aren't staying home, safe and sound.  We have to go out and about...the three youngest kids are going to a concert on Sunday, South Korean pop music,  TWICE, is the group.  Don't ask me, because it's not nice to say that it hurts my ears, but then I find myself singing some of it...blah.  But they're going with friends of ours, who are graciously driving down to New York City with them, and their three kids.  They have to show proof of a negative C test, so that's where we're going today.  Important stuff, to them. 

When they first started yammering about this concert, I let it go in one ear and out the other, because in my book, nope, wasn't even happening.  But then Paul remembered what it was like to want to go to a concert, and said he'd take them.  It turned out that our friends are taking them, but I still can't believe they're going.  They have earned the money themselves, and paid for their tickets.  They have been counting the days.  

There is also a huge church youth conference this weekend, so I'll be helping Emily a bit this afternoon, meals for 400!  Then tomorrow, little Wulf and Tennyson will be coming here for the rest of the weekend. I have to go vacuum the room they'll be in, and I still have to see if my stuff will fit in my backpack, as we're leaving Monday morning for Florida.

Yesterday, Sonja had the day off from school, so we went to a few places, then she had an appointment, so I went to a few MORE places, all by my lonesome.  The thrift store, where I got some grandkid clothes, a bin of wooden blocks, and a nice toy garbage truck.  It was so nice to just wander around in no particular hurry.  Then, to the dollar store!  It's all $1.25 now, but still, here's what I got:

The rich get their ice in the summertime, but the poor get theirs in the winter,  Laura Ingalls Wilder in Farmer Boy...  I always think of that when I buy nice sweaters, slippers, or Christmas items when springtime is encroaching (or swimsuits and sandals in the autumn).  These were marked $12.99, each has cocoa and coffee in it.  Since it's still really cold and wintery, why not?  (I also got a huge plastic canister of Halloween pretzels, and two bags of Reeese's Peanut butter cups with glow-in-the-dark wrappers...)

I cheated and didn't have to make dinner:  I bought the in-store fried chicken, then cut up some veggies and strawberries, and there's dinner, kids.  There's this disgustingly yummy lunchmeat that I had as a child, and bought occasionally through the years, and the kids really like, olive loaf.  It's like a bologna with sliced green olives in it, sounds awful, but it's actually good.  I bought that and a pound of store baked Italian bread (99 cents, can't go wrong!), so those kids ate sandwiches, too.  

We are leaving Monday morning, and I've just tried stuffing things in my backpack, it might work.  If I take a few things out, will I sorely regret it?  Should I leave the laptop home this time?  We aren't going to a remote island where there are no stores, so it's not like the end of the world, but for me to find something that fit me, well...

Anyhoo....things to do around here...and the girls are chatting away...so goodbye for now.




3 comments:

Carol said...

Well, the concert sounds interesting is all I can say. Certainly not my idea of a fun evening! The trip to Florida sounds exciting! I am so ready to just walk out of my house that I would truly not care where I was going.

16 blessings'mom said...

Carol, I don't know what the appeal is with this kind of music, but I do sort of remember being a crazy teenager. Florida will be nice, nice to spend some time with Paul without him working so hard, and I actually love seeing him interact with his mom. He's so patient with her, and good to her. We will only be there for three full days, but I am SO ready for some sunshine, and hopefully one trip to the beach on the gulf coast, cannot complain about that!!!! I hope your recovery is going as speedily as possible, and that one day soon you can just walk out of your house, preferably into some sunshine.

Diana said...

My dad could never have afforded to let me go to a concert (I'm bettin' if my mama had been alive through my teens she'da said no anyway) and I wasn't allowed to get a job until after high school graduation so I couldn't pay my way. I wasn't interested in music much anyhow. Went to a couple or maybe three as an adult only because ex wanted to go to such-and-such. The one concert I reeeeeally enjoyed was a symphony my sweet stepmom took me to a couple years before she died.// I was not surprised to find that the Dollar Store had raised their price at the end of 2021, just figured because of everything else going up in cost. And then I recently saw they now have $2 and $3 items, but the same or less amount, or the same or less quality. *sigh* We have two of those stores in our town and both are absolutely filthy all the time and can't keep anything in stock, or even get stock. Very disappointing. We have an Ollie's as of last year, and they claim their prices are lower... but nope, I can get the same thing at Walmart cheaper. On the other hand, Ollie's has the little trains the 3-year-old grandson loves, 2 in a pack for $1.99. // I'm DONE with cold and winter... uggggghhhhh. Finally, starting tomorrow, we go back to warmth! The mid-60's into the mid- and upper-70s the next ten days!! Let me do my Daffy Duck woo-hoo all over the place! LOL! Blessings to you, Della! Have a safe trip and enjoyable time in Florida!! ❤️