summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, February 4, 2022

we came back to winter....

 We may not have time travel, but close to it...airplane travel.  From warm and sunny to cold and snowy, in just a few hours, magic. 

We had a few monkey wrenches in the monkey wrench pile this fine morning, in Florida.  Our flight was scheduled to leave at seven something a.m., so we were getting up at 4:45.  That meant, of course, that I couldn't fall asleep for nuttin', no-how.  I tossed and turned and wiggled and wriggled, but sleep eluded me.  I fiiiiiinalllly fell asleep, and dang it, I woke back up and checked my phone, what time is it?  At 4:41, I saw that Mariel had messaged me at 1 am, our flight was cancelled.  She said, we'll figure it out in the morning.  My first reaction, was HALLELUJAH!  I don't have to get up in four minutes, I can go back to sleep.  But, my brain  had different ideas.  I started thinking of plans if we couldn't get another flight...so sleep, once again, was far from me...dang.

I woke up again at seven, so at some point, I must have fallen asleep.  We thought we'd be long gone by then, but there was still coffee in the bag, so we made a pot and considered our options....there were no more flights on this airline until MONDAY.  Emily is on call this weekend, she had to get home.  We could possibly get flights on this airline from a different airport but would have to Uber there, and it would be Sunday...so we just switched airlines, and paid out of pocket for new flights.  

We got home at 8 pm instead of 11 am, but, we're home.  Home to a foot of new snow, and cold...15 degrees on the ride home from the airport.  Paul so kindly brought my boots, my Birkenstocks would have sunk in the snow in the driveway....he cleared it before he went to get us, but it snowed more.

The kids went ice skating this evening...

I miss this back yard already...coffee in the morning, charcuterie and wine in the afternoons...
The pool water warmed up enough by Thursday for a few refreshing dips...
We went to a small local brewery Thursday night...I look like I had one too many, but I really only had one six ounce glass...and, we had pizza.
Home again home again jiggity jig.  Here's Orange Guy....so fluffy.  He's 90% fur.
Tomorrow, Charlotte Claire is going skiing, Sonja K. is doing homework, Paul has some work to do on a house he is fixing up, Jon will probably be working on his four wheeler (he blew up the engine), so Miss Cam and I will be going to the grocery store....then in the evening, there is a get together at Emily's to celebrate five years cancer/surgery/remission for my sister Cheryl....when we were in Florida, the girls and I started talking about how amazing and special Cheryl is, and we decided we should get together and celebrate this milestone...and show her some appreciation.  We were going to have some sort of charcuterie, but the girls are now talking about making a dinner....

And...this old lady is heading to bed.


7 comments:

Linda said...

Glad you made it home safe and sound, my friend. Welcome back to the frigid north. Smiles

Terri D said...

Glad you made it home okay but sorry for all the snow and cold you went back to! I can't even imagine living in the cold winters up north again. Too spoiled by Florida! Catch up on your sleep!!

Anonymous said...

Good to see you on here again and that you made it home safely. We got about a foot of snow, too. The kids are loving it.
Valerie

Carol said...

Thankful for a safe trip and that you were able to get a flight. Sorry that you came back to such awful weather.

Mari said...

Welcome home - sorry you left sunshine and came home to snow! And what craziness with that flight!

Betty said...

Glad you enjoyed your time away and are safely back with your family. Thank you for your prayers for the recovery of my brother he went home Thursday and sounded like his old self when I spoke to him today. Bless your daughter and her coworkers they are true angels.

16 blessings'mom said...

Linda, thank you...it's much better out there today.
Terri, today was actually a nice day. Sunshine on the deep mounds of snow and snowbanks. Roads clear.
Valerie, the kids do love the snow.
Carol, I'm thankful to be home...today was a lovely day, sunny on the snow.
Mari, I know! Never a dull moment when you travel, makes it rather fun though.
Betty, so glad your brother is doing so well. I agree, the healthcare workers are special!!