summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

cold coffee ...

 When you're a busy mom, cold coffee is part of life, if you're so lucky to even find where you put your mug down.  I don't actually mind cold coffee, I'm just glad when I pick it up and there's actually some left in there!  But, lukewarm coffee...ugh.

I don't nuke my coffee, even if the microwave is clean and shiny, with no sauce splatters.  If it heats up my coffee, it heats up all the hidden specks, and they go on the top of my coffee.  This is science.  I cover other things that I heat in there, but I'm not putting plastic wrap on my coffee.

One trick is to use a travel mug, but nah.  I have done this when it was really cold in January, it does keep it hot, but retracts from the relaxing coffee-at-home experience.  I do preheat my mug, by either wasting too much water from the sink, running it until it's nice and hot, then filling my mug while I get the coffee into the pour over basket, or I just heat extra water in the kettle, fill the mug to heat while I get the pour over ready.  (duh, right?)

In any case, I sat here for a bit this morning and had my coffee, then got up to do some housework...vacuumed, mopped, straightened things, let the pups out then back in and wiped off eight paws...then sat back down for just a minute, and ahhh!  There was coffee left in my mug!

I'm out the door in fifteen minutes to visit Ben and Ashley and their little girls.  I have some things to bring them, who knew how much fun it would be to have grandkids to shop for?  I try not to spoil them, but it's SO hard!  You know me, I love love love toys, but they don't really need them.  But some new shirts, and new hair things...why not?

Camille is living the life, by the way, my smart little home-schooler.  She's come into the kitchen for her tea.  She has a beautiful cup and saucer (from the thrift store), and has a stroopwafel to have with it.   Off she goes in her comfy robe, to her room, to do her school work.  She'll practice that violin for at least an hour.  Charlotte Claire, on the other hand, has chosen to stay in "real" school.  She is on the high honor roll, and she actually likes school.  She likes the structure.  She does come home and teach Camille everything, especially geology and history.  

Ah well, have a good day...it's sunny and bright here in central NY state, and I like it.  Winter isn't half bad when the roads are clear and the sun is out!

3 comments:

Angie said...

Would you please consider doing a blog on Keeping Things Even and your thoughts on that? I have two adult children and the two they chose to marry. I have three grandchildren. Two of them in one family, and one in the other. Two of them need more of my time, due to medical appointments and such. This makes the DIL jealous. I just never expected this. I'm a clearance shopper, and now that I have grandchildren by each adult child, it seems hard to keep treats/finds even. Do you attempt to even things out? Thank you for your ideas!

Terri D said...

Yep, I've gotten used to cold coffee too. My visits here are always fun! Have a good Thursday!! xo

16 blessings'mom said...

Angie, I have never been a big believer in fairness. I can mention in a post how we dealt with it. (I think that's excellent that you're willing and able to help with medical appointments and such!!!!)
Terri, :)