summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

projects and out and about....

 Oooh, another project!  Our downstairs bathroom needs attention...paint, and a new look.  I'm going to take down the wall cabinet, which was installed when we built this house, way back in 1990.  It's chalk painted, but.  I'm thinking some natural wood (like old pallet boards) for shelves, with just cheap brackets, spray painted black.  I'm thinking a new mirror above the sink, and some spray painted hooks screwed into a piece of pallet board, for the hand towels.  A few fake plants on the shelves, a new shower curtain, paint the door and trim....

Today, we went out and about a bit.  Target, swimsuits pieces were buy one get one 50% off.  I miss the days the girls could get both suit pieces for under ten dollars, but no, they are growing up, and bathing suits generally aren't sold that way.   Camille found one she liked, but Char didn't.  They are fun to shop with though.  I found a few good grandkid gifts, and got a few bags of Easter candy.  

We went to the grocery store just for a very few things.  I had wanted to get a roast, $3.99 a pound, but the pork chops were only $1.49 a pound, so I put the beef back.  I had already gotten chicken breast from Target, so we didn't actually need it.  I like beef best though.  

Now those chops are marinating in lime juice, salt and pepper, and rosemary.  I think I'll roast a few chopped sweet potatoes, and some Brussel sprouts.  I'd like applesauce too, but we only have a huge jar, and won't eat it all...I buy the unsweetened stuff, it's so good with pork chops.

I took the girls to Chick-fil-A, which they totally love...me, not so much.  I got nuggets, saved most of them for Sonja.  It is yummy stuff, but I made the mistake of saying to Sonja, I can buy two huge packages of chicken breasts for what I spent for just a few things there...Yeah, she told me that I always say that, and why do I even go there?  That, my dear, is a good question.  I guess I like to bless them, but ouch-er.  She is a very tired girl right now, burning the candle at both ends in nursing school, so she can be a bit spicy sometimes.   Perhaps she is right, if I go there, I can just be quiet and not complain about the price.  The truth hurts.  

We went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond the other day, it's closing soon and everything was 70-80% off.  I got a beautiful quilt that was already marked down, so it was extremely reasonable.  Charlotte Claire got some new sheets, so soft, and I got some stuff for the bathroom we are re-doing.  I didn't go to BB&B very often, and when I did, it was only for sale or clearance stuff, but I did like to wander through there sometimes.  

This coming weekend, I'll be babysitting for Wulf and Tennyson while Margaret and Adrian go to a conference.  My other kids will be going too, so it'll just be Paul and I with the kids...two small children, how hard can that be?  

We're having atrocious weather, windy and the temps dropping rapidly.  We had a warm couple of days, most of the snow melted, now it's brrrr, and more snow on Friday.  I am certainly looking forward to Florida.  The forecast has sunshine all the days before and after our trip, but partly cloudy every day we're there.  harrumph.  I hope it changes.  I NEED sunshine, and want it too.  

We didn't pay to check a bag, so we're only bringing backpacks.  I'm not sure I can do it.  It's only from Monday to Friday, but...my bathing suit alone takes up half a back pack, I am no small girl.  4 pairs of undies, an extra bra, shorts, two tops, three sundresses...a sweater?  My laptop, cashews and gum and wallet and water bottle...hmmm.  Can I do it?  Oh wait, a nightgown!  Hairbrush!  Vitamins!  Coffee pour over!  (Grandma has a Keurig:)). We can buy coffee and filters down there.  I did get the girls travel sized face wash and little bottles to bring their must-have hair gels and stuff.   A hundred dollars to check a bag both ways....it's not that bad, but do we really need it? 

Ah well...time to put those chops in the oven....:) 

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd have trouble packing just a backpack, too! I can't be sure I won't need...all the things:)
Have a great time!
Valerie

Judy said...

You might consider sending swim suits and all the bottles to Grandma via UPS or FedEx. Not $100!

Anonymous said...

Your bathroom idea sounds great b sure to post pictures when done. I have been buying a bag of apples and make my own applesauce, serves two purposes no more runny jarred sauce and it makes the house smell good. Enjoy those brands as you know they grow up too fast.

Betty said...

Your bathroom idea sounds great b sure to post a photo when done. I buy a bag of apples and make my own sauce serves two purposes no more runny jarred sauce and makes the house smell good. Apples are not as good as what we used to get at beek and skiff but much better than jarred. Enjoy those Grands as you know they grow up much too fast

Unknown said...

Good morning Della 👋 I am terrible at packing! I always over pack……always……but I just can’t seem to help it! I am going to Hawaii with my daughter to visit my other daughter in Kona who has a house there right on the water!! She has been there since the new year. We are all so excited. My daughter reminded me she DOES have a washer and dryer 😉

The bathroom reno sounds good. It will give it a whole new look. The pork chops sound yummy. I made butter chicken last night. Very yummy. I’m going to freeze the leftover to pull out for another meal next week…….one night when I don’t feel like cooking 🙄

It is snowing here…..big fluffy flakes and really coming down. When will this winter ever end???

Have fun with the little boys 🥰🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, KONA?! So exciting!!!! Right on the water, to, so nice, and having a washer and dryer, you really can pack a little lighter.
This winter is a long one here too, snowing again today, big and fluffy...and I will have fun with the boys...I do feel old though, just getting the room ready for them, and I need a break ha.
Betty, they do grow up too fast. Fresh, local apples: mmm. I do sort of make my own sauce sometimes: small unsweetened jar from Aldi, add chopped fresh apples (peeled and cored of course), top with cinnamon and sugar, and bake, when we're having ham or pork chops...they haven't had those small jars in a while, and I don't like buying the sweetened stuff as it's too sweet. I could do the whole thing from fresh apples, but they get pricey too.
Judy, that is a good idea!
Valerie, I know, I NEED all my THINGS. I think I got most of it stuffed in, but the laptop prob won't make it there, sadly....