summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, September 2, 2022

a picture's worth a thousand words...

 ...but since I don't have a picture, you get the thousand words.  I told you how there's a youth conference at our church this weekend, with about 450 kids coming.  Well, imagine Emily's shock and surprise when the local Sysco food supplier told her they had no one to deliver the multi-thousand dollar order.   They told her if she got a rental truck, they would reimburse her, for gas too, and would give a discount on the order.  So, Emily, after a normal day's work as a normal NP, went and rented a huge-0 U-Haul truck, and picked up the order.  

We had lots of help unloading the truck and putting everything away, phew, then I went with her to return the truck.  I could barely get into the thing, and I'm serious!  It huffed and puffed and didn't want to accelerate, she said it was way worse all full.  It was an adventure though.

(turns out the drivers for Sysco are on strike!)

Anyway.  I wish I could have gotten a picture of Emily beside that huge truck.

This fine morning, I got up at 5:40 to take a shower and make sure I was there to help make brekky for all those kids.  They had Belgian waffles, sausages, and orange juice.  Yes, the waffles were frozen, but we baked them up in the ovens and kept them in the warmers until it was time to package them all up in individual (green, compostable, earth friendly!) containers with butter and syrup.  Yes, we had gluten -free waffles too.

The sausages were frozen (frozen together, we had to PRY.  They were boiled then browned up on the griddle, as the ovens were in use.  Guess who stood there frying?  Yeah, I melted.

Lunch was simple, sub rolls, either cheddar and turkey, or ham and Swiss cheese, with shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, a bag of chips, and a local apple, from up near Lake Ontario.  We packaged those all up too...then I came home.  Two meals was enough for me.  It was hard to leave though, because it's so much fun to be with all my friends!  There's joking and camaraderie and silliness, even while being efficient and careful (you know, gloves, hairnets, ect.)

Their dinner tonight is a choice between a beef rice bowl or a chicken rice bowl with peppers and tomatoes and all the fixings...here are some of the peppers and tomatoes I bought from the local mennonites:

Home, ahh home.  I swept the floors, and did some dishes (last night we had beef and gravy with potatoes and carrots in the crockpot, it got put away in a Tupperware container, but the crock pot was still sitting there...), I put new flea collars on the dogs (can you say CA-CHING?!  Three new collars were $177, we already have one new one for one cat, so we only needed three, but jeepers.  The Seresto collars are the only things we've ever had that actually work on the fleas though.  All of the sudden, their old ones stopped working, probably because of all the swimming they did when we camped.  You cannot just ignore fleas, oh no, they will multiply and build kingdoms in your home, and on your pets.  Sunny is allergic to flea bites, too, she gets all irritated and rashy and loses fur, so we can't have that.)

Sonja had clinical today, worked at the hospital, yay, second year nursing student!  She is home now, and is heading out to the conference.  Miss Char and Miss Cam are already there, so it'll just be Paul and I and the pets here.  

I must say, I would like to be in better shape.  I am for sure heading back to water aerobics next week, as the pool season in our northern state is so short, the water is so cold already.  Tomorrow will be 88, so I'll get in regardless:). But standing on my feet for all that time, ugh.  I need a hot tub, ha...
But I am thankful for our deck, and our pool, and our yard...



Abigail is staying here this fine weekend, which is nice...when your kids grow up and turn into your friends...



6 comments:

Kanadiangirl said...

Dear Della,

I have found that keeping all out pets (dogs, horses, ponies, and cats outside year round) keeps them very healthy. Of course, they have a garage/shelter to go in and out as they please, plus heat lamps for dead of winter. Might be a way to get rid of fleas ...I'm not sure, just a thought I had

Terri D said...

That's a lot of food in a huge truck!! Wow! I am always amazed at the work you do and the amount of food you can prepare for so many! Whew!! God bless!!

Martha said...

I am exhausted just thinking about trying to accomplish all this! Ha ha!

16 blessings'mom said...

Well, we don't actually have a garage, just a shelter type place for the mowers and lawn furniture. It does get quite cold here, and our Labradors think they're peoples, they won't stay out side without us. Yeah, they're spoiled. :)
Terri, I think I did too much yesterday, limping around like an old lady today ha.
Martha, me too!

Linda said...

The pool looks so inviting, truly it does, smiles. Wishing you a beautiful weekend my friend.

Shirley in Washington said...

I hope you get a little more pool weather! I am also amazed and what you and your family do for your church. Truly inspirational! I hope you get rested up. Blessings, Shirley