summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

there's nothing like the heavenly aroma of...

 ...cookies baking.

Beautiful, right?
A triple batch, the first two pans made with no chocolate chips, just sprinkles on top.  I started this a few years back for Miss Camille, who doesn't like the chocolate chips (?!), and the other kids agree that they're actually really good.  The cookies are darker than usual because I didn't have enough white sugar.  My recipe is for twice the brown as white anyway, but this was even more than that.

This fine morning, Miss Charlotte Claire got on the bus and went to her first day of eleventh grade.  I didn't take a pic of her with one of those little chalkboards, but I did tear up when the bus drove away.  We had a good summer.  Camille has started her homeschooling already, but oh dear, the house is quiet.  Sonja K. is gone to college already this morning.

It's easy to be deceived that things would be better "if".  

If I had a brand new house, new flooring, new countertops, new furniture, new vacuum cleaner.  There are good reasons for all these things, and life might actually be a bit nicer, there is some truth to that.  I mean, our big couch is getting really old, we have to keep it covered in blankets, which I change out and wash more than once a week, and straighten daily...multiple times, most days.  I dislike the look, I dislike the constant maintenance, but the couch is comfortable, it's well built, and we have Labradors who, unfortunately, like to get up there and get them all furry.  So a new couch would be nice, but the dogs would ruin it anyway.  Our other couch is the leather one from the thrift store, it has a few tears in it, isn't awful yet, but it's getting there.  

Jeepers, I can't stay on point to save my life.  My point is to be thankful for what you have, and to make do!  I mean, I can whine and pine, or I can do what I can to make things nice.  I had this thought the other day, out of the blue, a thought of a beautiful house, with tons of huge windows and so much light, oh how I would love and adore living in a home like that...maybe even with double ovens, so I could bake in half the time...or two ovens!  Then I pictured myself in my own house, being thankful and happy, and I realized that is what is beautiful.  

But yesterday, I had an idea.  We have valances on the kitchen windows,  and I thought to change them out to white sheer curtains...I had ordered some for Charlotte Claire, as she changed rooms recently...they were only $5 a panel from Target.  I had Camille climb up on the bench to see how they would look, as we haven't put them up in Char's room yet...

I think they might be pretty!   I went on Target, and they were on sale for $3.50!  And the curtain rods I wanted were on sale too!  So, for very little money, we will have a new look.  Will we love it?  I don't know!

Then I started thinking about painting the stools at the counter...maybe, maybe not.  I do have to get the paint to repaint the upper cabinets, the lower ones look so spiffy.  

It's time to bring Miss Cam to PT, then we're stopping at the library, and the store...our meal plan is simple this week:  chicken and rice bowls (cauliflower rice for me!), with broccoli tonight, pot pie tomorrow, and pork chops with apples and squash on Thursday.  The girls are going camping for the weekend, Paul is returning from Hungary on Saturday...anyway, off I go!


6 comments:

Deb said...

I love your thoughts of making do with what you have, and I agree. We've lived in our house 26 years now and although most of it is out dated and needs extreme deep cleaning, it is home and it works. Just yesterday my younger son was home to do laundry and heard the growly sound the washer has been making when it starts a certain cycle. He was immediately on his phone looking up prices of fancy new ones and I said no, this one still works. (for now, *knock wood* LOL)

I like the new curtains! I've been wanting to do something new for my kitchen windows too. I've been thinking about investing different valances for the seasons, like fun autumn leaf design, Halloween ones, spring ones. I already have Christmas ones that I bring out each year. In my mind it's a way to decorate without adding clutter. The bank account might beg to differ though.

Terri D said...

I think the shears will look nice on the windows. Let us know how you like them. Great sale price! Those cookies always lood SO GOOD! I enjoyed your post!!

Billie Jo said...

Why don't we live closer??? I could really go for one...ok three...of those cookies! And I would love to visit with you over a cup of coffee. Love the fabric on those. Have a cozy evening, my lovely friend.

Diana said...

Just had to stop by now that I'm done with my summer "Jesus leave" and see what you've been up to. I sure understand wanting big windows for more sunlight. Our little apartment with its two windows that face north (we are on the north side of the apartment building) hardly give us any light... the kitchen is so absolutely dark with no windows. *sigh* But I make it work, it's our home, we truly blessed to have this place because it's handicap accessible for Jerry. Wherever we've lived throughout our life together, I made the places feel like home, usually on zero dollars to do anything. God makes our home beautiful anyway. I'm like Miss Camille... no chocolate chips... welllll, you know I'm the one who doesn't like chocolate anything anyway lol. Hugs and blessings to you, my friend!!

16 blessings'mom said...

Deb, our washing machine has been fixed so many times. Paul is definitely a Part Orderer, do-it-your-selfer. The new curtains, now I just have to install the new curtain rods, and get them put up. I think I'll like them too. I do have a nice sewing machine, but these sheers were only $3.50 per panel, couldn't make them for less. I like the idea of holiday valances...
Terri, would you believe that I didn't eat any of the cookies? I already know I LOVE them, and one bite would lead to another. I like to bake them and share them, but I don't eat them, anymore.
Diana, welcome back! It's truly vital to be thankful for what you have, and yes, God does make our homes beautiful when we are serving Him. I actually thought of Paul the apostle in prison, he was singing songs and was thankful...how beautiful is that?
Hugs to you, too!

16 blessings'mom said...

Billie Jo, I know! :)