summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, September 3, 2022

what I've always longed for...

 ...some peace and quiet.  Oh yes, for years and years, I couldn't hear myself think.  I can barely remember even driving in an empty car, always took someone to get some quality time in, or I was bringing them somewhere for an appt. or something, but rarely was I alone.  We usually want what we don't have, and my mother did warn me about this:  Lady Jane, someday you'll miss the chaos, and hate the quiet.  You'll be lonely.  Ha.  Ha ha ha.  Quiet sounded like diamonds or millions of dollars, something I certainly would never have. 



She doesn't understand where Paul is.  She just keeps waiting for him to come home.
...a few autumn decorations!
  

So now I've been gifted the elusive quiet.  And shh, it's kind of lovely, but...lonely, and I don't love it as much as I thought I would.  I am home totally alone, except for the doggies and the kitties, who of course keep wanting to go in and out.  Paul is on his way to Budapest, Hungary, and the kids are all at the youth conference.  Abigail is staying here this weekend, we did have a nice visit earlier today.  She hit a deer a last month, had to rent a car while hers got fixed, it was finally done yesterday.  So today after dropping Paul off at the airport, I met her at the rental place, then we drove back here together...we sat on the deck and had coffee, and solved the world's problems.  She just had a surgery done on her toe, so she's a-hobbling a bit.

I did sneak into Target for a half hour before I met her at the rental, what would YOU do if you had some spare time, and there was a Target, ha?   I found my favorite bra on the clearance rack, in my size, and a really nice fall skirt, and an outfit for little Elise to wear to kindergarten.  

So home all alone, I decided to paint the cabinets.  They used to be oak, which was all the rage when we built this place in 1990.  We painted them Sherwin Williams Alabaster, flat, a few years back, and I love them.  They have gotten a little scraped up, and one cupboard door is in the process of being put back on...oh it is a DOOZY of a story, it broke off so long ago, there's a pic of Evelyn when she was small, in front of the broken cabinet door, and she's 23 now.  yeah.  So I had some plans, was going to put some farm-house-y curtain there, but Paul insisted he would fix it.  He got the door all fixed, but has yet to actually put in on the cabinet...I wanted to repaint the door before he installs it, so I got out the paint...and ended up painting all the lower cabinets and drawers, just slopped on another coat of paint, they look brand new and clean and nice.  When you use really good paint, it's so forgiving and easy to paint with.  I need to get another gallon to do the uppers, and the doors in the hallway.

This should make you all feel better about your kitchens.  I wasn't going to post it:  Suri's rear end, the crock pot still out, dishes in the dish rack, the bowl I have to give back to Margaret, some pans on the stove, that towel rack/cabinet basket sitting on the floor in front of the stove...the cabinet doors open so the paint could dry...


Anyway, I was limping when I was done with helping with food yesterday.  My hip started acting up, ouch.  I was supposed to go out and help with dinner today, but nope, couldn't do it.  The painting I did mostly sitting, moving the chair from one cupboard to the next one.  

Now I'm done painting, since I ran out of paint, I've had dinner, leftover beef roast and gravy from Thursday, and here I am...home all alone.  It's too quiet.  I'm not a television person, so I've puttered around cleaning up this and that, read some of my book, ate too many Hershey Kisses, and now...well, the crickets are cricketing and the cars are going by every little while, but it's very quiet.  

It's almost midnight, Abigail is here, and I'm heading to bed....goodnight!

...

8 comments:

Linda said...

AH, Peace and quiet. smiles---and at least you have a kichen of your own, lololol. I will soon too, smiles. I keep telling myself Hang on Linda, hang on. ---on that note, have a beautiful day friend.

Unknown said...

Hi Della! You have been a busy person I think, so just bask in the lovely quiet for a while because you know it won’t last 🥰 Sunny looks like my Bindi when I go away 😔😔 My husband said she was always watching the door when I was in Penticton last week. Your camp sounds fabulous! I’m sure all the kids had so much fun.

We are basking in horrible SMOKE 😬😬😬Some from around Jasper and some from BC too. It is just foul! There’s an air advisory, so I will be staying inside as much as possible today. It sure makes the sunlook beautiful at sunrise and sunset though. It is so crimson!

Anyway, you have a lovely day 🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Terri D said...

I liked seeing your kitchen! Homes get lived in and it feels good when they look like they are lived in!! I am a TV person so there is usually noise from the box if I am at home, whether I am watching it or not! Hope you slept well and wish you a week ahead full of blessings!!

Anonymous said...

I used to beg for quietness, but now my kids are 2,000 plus miles away at school and come home for Christmas and 6 weeks for summer, quietness is not all that it is cracked up to be.

Anonymous said...

What are you reading these days? I've taken a little book break; it is always so nice to start one after I do that!
Valerie

16 blessings'mom said...

Linda, you're not going to know what to do with yourself, in your own place. :)
Marilyn, poor Bindi, they just don't understand. Suri doesn't care that Paul is gone, as long as I pet her all day, she's fine. Sunny loves me extra when Paul's gone, but she also worries terribly about where he could be. Terrible about the smoke!
I like tv too, Terri, but I never turn it on because I can't ignore it, no matter what's on, I'll pay attention to it, drives me nuts.
The noisy years go by too fast, my mother was right.
Valerie, I've not read anything really good in a while. I just get books from the library, and meh, nothing I'd recommend right now.

Deb said...

My two sons are grown and out on their own, and I quit working three years ago. I thought living a quiet life of leisure would be a dream! I still can't believe how hard it's been to adjust. Many days it's just too quiet and too boring. Still, I'm happy to have it and ever so thankful I'm able to stay home now.

I like your kitchen, even in it's chaotic state!

Anonymous said...

You’re absolutely right, the quiet is definitely quiet! I just enjoy your blog so much you are so real. Could you please tell me your favorite brought at target I struggle finding One that is comfortable.
Blessings Darla from Orlando Florida