summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

baptism in the rain...

 ...yesterday afternoon/evening was a momentous occasion, two very dear souls were baptized...my s-i-l Adrian, and our friend Irene.  It was sprinkling out, but the weather temperate enough that it was okay.  So encouraging to share with them their commitment to live faithful lives!


Wulf and Tennyson were so very good, they got to ride their scooters around after.  Oh, and I found a good use for all those cookies, they were devoured after the baptism.

Kathryn is coming over this fine morning, to gather some tents and supplies for a big girls' camping weekend.  

Ah, where has the day gone?  Now it is evening, and Kathryn spent this dreary rainy day here with little Rhys and Achilles.  Rhys took a little nap, since Jonny is in Germany for a year, we can leave the little pack-n-play set up.  Achilles had some down time on the couch with a pillow and furry blanket, but didn't fall asleep.  He's two years old, and still rather needs a nap, but he was so good!  We had pork chops and applesauce (unsweetened Aldi applesauce with some fresh apples peeled and sliced on top, with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on, and baked in the oven).  

We had drama here, Miss Camille had a snake!!! in her room!  Now, it was just a tiny little garter snake, but the poor girl was hysterical.  She had slept on the couch last night because there was a SPIDER in there....she brought the vacuum down there today and got it, felt better, but the SNAKE, oh dear.  

Samuel happened to stop in here after work today to pick something up, and oh my, he's the hero of the day:  he captured that snake and brought it out to the woods.  We then googled how to get rid of snakes, and decided that actual snake repellent from the hardware store would be toxic to our animals, so we went to Walmart this fine rainy evening....and bought essential oils.  Cinnamon and cloves are supposed to repel them, so we bought some and a spray bottle.  Charlotte Claire sprayed their rooms and the back door, even if it doesn't actually work, it's like giving a kid a can of Monster Spray to spray under their bed I guess.  It's worth the ten or so dollars we spent, to give them peace of mind.  I said, "If we haven't had a snake in here in all these years, the chance of having a second one is about nil."  Well, I did think that perhaps the mama snake had babies somewhere and there are dozens more hiding, but shh, I'm not stupid enough to say that out loud, poor girls.  

I admit that my eyes have darted around here, wondering if there are more, but I'm trying not to freak out.

Before we went to Walmart, we went into the thrift store.  The girls didn't find much, but I found boots for Achilles, and a coat for me.  

Home...ah, home.  The girls are making lunches, Miss Char is making hers, and Camille is making Sonja's...Sonja is really swamped right now, in second year nursing school.  She has so much paperwork after a busy day of class/clinicals.  

Kathryn and I are planning a trip to Florida to see Grandma, one of these weekends...:)



8 comments:

Angie said...

We remodeled a home for our son and his new wife. We ended up finding about a half dozen snakes inside! (Found one at a time.) We finally had to stop telling my DIL for fear she would move out.

16 blessings'mom said...

Ha, that's smart, what she didn't know wouldn't hurt her. Poor Camille slept on the couch last night.

Deb said...

We often have harmless small snakes in our yard. They still kinda creep me out but as long as they stay out there, they're fine. LOL

Anonymous said...

Be careful with the cinnamon oil, not good for pets!

Shirley in Washington said...

A snake in the house would certainly freak me out! I am hoping it's the only one! I have been cleaning an outbuilding and vacuumed up so many spiders. Not crazy about spiders either. Blessings, Shirley

Mari said...

The baptism was a joyful occasion! The snake though - yikes! Hope they stay out of the house!

Diana said...

Should've called me, I'm the one our family calls to get rid of snakes, spiders, wasps, hornets, mice, lizards... all sorts of other-than-human thingamajigs and creepy-crawlies. LOL! I'm not scared of much... I worked at a garden center that also had a small pet department and I loved taking care of all the animals and fish. My favorite were geckos and ferrets. Snakes don't care what you think is going to repel them, they'll still try to visit -- but don't tell your girls! "Monster spray" is good for the soul anyway, so they can spray to their heart's content. // Praise the Lord for bein' saved and baptised!! Woot-woot! Ain't nuthin' better than having Jesus in your heart!! God bless them real good!! 💕 ✝️

Terri D said...

The baptisms are a blessing, indeed! As for the snake! Yikes! Could it have been in the camping gear from the last time it was used? Crazy! Happy Friday!