summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

free coffee?

 Years ago, I would have been so jealous of now me.  There were days, weeks, months, YEARS of being so busy every waking hour, with babies and toddlers and kids and teenagers and appointments and making dinners and lunches and bottles, and breastfeeding and cleaning, matching socks, washing bedding...ugh.  Disclaimer:  I would definitely do it all over again, no regrets.  My point is just about being so busy, barely getting a chance for a breather.  If I could have imagined this present getaway, I would have simply longed for it.

The grass is always greener they say.  Ha, here I am with my long expanses of quiet down time, missing the kids and grandkids like crazy.  

I AM enjoying the time though.  Yesterday, Camille and I had our morning coffee, she had oatmeal for brekky.  We cleaned up a bit, then went outside in our suits.  We sat on the comfy outside couch and soaked in the sun, then went in the pool.  I moved around and did my water aerobics, she swam and floated.  We dried in the sun, then decided to go bye-bye.

First of all, I do not love driving in new places, especially in the Jaguar.  It's too nice.  It makes sure you stay properly in your lane, and has all the bells and all the whistles.  Shh, I drove over a curb.  Aaron, if you're reading this, it was fiiiine.  I drive like an old lady as it is, but put me in a really nice car, and oh dear.  But I did it, I drove on the highway through the desert, and brought Miss Camille to Marshall's.  We bought a few baby outfits, and one dress for her, along with some nail polish.  Then, Target.



Target...ah, there was a Starbucks in there, and what a coincidence, we both really wanted coffees.  As we waited in line, I noticed a pitcher under a flowing spigot, overflowing water all over...I politely pointed it out to the young gentleman working there, and he slightly freaked as he thanked me for letting him know, as he cleaned it up.  He thanked me again, took our orders, handed Cam her pumpkin spice iced Americano.  Then as he handed mine over the counter, uh oh, he dropped it, or the lid came off, or something, but that whole Venti drink splooshed and splashed, all over the counter, all over the floor, onto my Birkenstocks.   He was SO sorry, I felt bad for him.  He started cleaning it up while the other girl re-made my drink.  The manager had just arrived, apologized to me, and refunded the total amount of our coffees back to my Target card.

I told the young gentleman that I sincerely hoped his day got better, and not to worry about it.  He was more embarrassed than I was inconvenienced.  

But, we skipped away with free coffee!  :). 

We bought some blonde roast cold brew for "home", and some chocolate, the necessities of life ha.  We found the clearance section, and would you believe I found TWO bras for myself, for 70% off?  I know I love them because I have the same models in the same size, different colors.  I was almost jumping up and down, if I could actually jump, I would have.  I told Camille if they don't fit in the suitcase, I'll just wear them all home.  

We decided to go to the Safeway again on the way home.  They have New York strip steaks on sale for 5-something a pound.  We had some the other night, and oh dear, my very favorite, grilled steak.  We bought a bag of salad mix, and voila, dinner.  I grilled, Cam poured the salads into the bowls, she also had some leftover garlic bread.  It was so very yummy.  

The boys are coming home from Europe this afternoon, so we'll have to clean up this trash heap.  Just kidding, Aaron, we have kept it very nice in here.  We do have to touch up a few things, but we do that every day.  They have an automatic vacuum that empties itself, one here and one upstairs.  The vacuum cleaner closet has a few Dysons, a nice shark, a steam mop, an upholstery cleaner...it's like playing house with really nice toys. 








 (Morning coffee outside, talking to Molly on the phone...:))

Have a really nice day!

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Good sunny morning 🌞🌞🌞

That would be funny………and maybe a bit uncomfortable to wear 3 bras home 🤣🤣 We lived in Windsor Ontario In the late 60’s and early 70’’s right across the river from Detroit. People would go shopping over there and wear some of it home in layers so they didn’t have to declare it!!! 🤣🤣🤣

That’s funny/not funny about the coffee. That poor kid. But you snagged free coffees. Enjoy these last days with your boys. Are you going to the Grand Canyon still? Fun!!!

Have a lovely day 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Mari said...

You are right on with how you started. When our kids are little, our days are so full and we wish for a little quiet time. Then they grow up and we wish we could go back and enjoy that chaos, if only for a day!
You made me laugh with your driving story!