summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 12, 2023

where on earth have I been?

Let's see...Tuesday I went out and about with Kathryn and her little ones.  We had to get a birthday gift for a sweet friend turning 12, so we went to Marshall's, then to Walmart because Paul needed...suspenders.  He said, "for hunting".  okay.  I got the suspenders.  

We had a nice pot of tiki masala for dinner, with some tortillas browned up in a little olive oil, and quartered...because I didn't feel like making naan bread, and also because I cannot say no to naan bread, probably because it takes a bit to make it, and I deserve to eat it ha.  The girls also had some rice, it was a nice cozy dinner.  I had to leave and go to Activity Club, stopping first at the Dollar General because the big bag of dog food I ordered hadn't arrived yet, and the dogs were happy to make due with a $14 bag of Kibbles and Bits.  

Yesterday, I brought a friend to the hospital for a surgery.  I picked her up at eight, then went to visit Margaret and the kids.  Wulf and Tennyson are so much fun.  They fought about a set of toy keys, because when one boy has something, it's a hot commodity.  Tennyson wanted to hear all about the whiptail lizard a few times, and about donkeys and wild horses, Wulf wanted to talk about the scorpions.  

We brought them to the Dollar Tree, they each carried a shopping basket.  I'm still laughing at Tenny, he found a Dracula lawn decoration, and yelled, "That's my dad!"  It does resemble Adrian, ha, so I bought it for him.  He carried it happily in his little basket.  They were actually really good about not putting everything in them, although there was one little ghost plaque that almost got through the register. 

We went through the drive through at McDonalds, then they had a picnic at home.  They begged to use their new silly string.  Out on the back deck they went, their mama said no leaving the deck, no spraying each other.  When Tennyson came in with silly string in his hair, Margaret asked Wulf, he said, "I can't help it if he walks in front of me when I'm spraying."

Oh dear.  I got to hold little Miss Blythe Margaret...

She's still a tiny newborn.  She opens her eyes and looks around and is on the verge of a big smile, holds her head up, she's little but mighty.  I do love holding a small baby:)

My friend's surgery was done, and it was time to pick her up.  She needed to pick up some meds, so we stopped in a Walmart, then got her something to eat, as she hadn't had anything since the day before.  I brought her home, and came home to...Mom, what's for dinner?   I had picked up a pizza dough in Walmart, but it was still frozen...so bacon and eggs it was.  

Life is full of details, of small things not worth mentioning, boring chores and little struggles.  But this is our life.  This.  Not what might happen, or what's going to happen, this.  Today.  Cleaning up the dog pee in the hallway.  (ugh!).  Finally washing the two beach towels that somehow were still on the deck.  Digging out the slippers because the floor are cold, I miss bare feet already.  

I read a post recently written by a mom who was overworked, overwhelmed, a day late and a dollar short. She was tired of apologizing to her kids for not being able to do things, tired of never having enough...one person commented to look at it from a different angle:  start being thankful for what she does have, and doing fun things that don't cost anything, with thankfulness.  I thought that was brilliant.  To be content and thankful is priceless.

Yes, this is our life, this is the one ride through it.  There is no going back, no re-do.  Each day is a gift, and the more we think of others and genuinely ask God for grace and help and wisdom, the happier we'll be.  It's super easy to backbite and gossip and argue, but it's ugly and it's hurtful.  If I wake up each morning and envision the day I'll be standing before Him to give account,  I'll be much quicker to have my priorities in order.  No grudges, no getting back at anyone, no one-upping anyone...being tempted is one thing, but we don't have to give in!  

So yes, this is a good day.  :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this… being thankful for everything. Yup, I walked dog around yard for 20 minutes this morning and she never went. I went in with soaking wet sneakers. The dew was heavy today… a daughter who is home from work and not feeling well due to reaction to DPT shot she needed for dental school. But, I am thankful for her company as everyone else is at work, thankful her reaction wasn’t like it was when she was 4 and fresh home from China, she was one sick baby from that vaccine. Always things to be thankful for regardless of what happening. My life is similar to yours… stopping to see the grands, target etc. cleaning up after dog and being asked “what’s for dinner” yesterday when I arrived home at 4 from a day of running. But each morning I ask our Lord to help me represent Jesus well during the day. Wish I could say I always do, but thankfully He shows me grace and mercy.

Enjoy today, we have sun before another rainy week end. I see candles, throw blankets and coffee in our week end.

Judy

Terri D said...

Busy as always!! Little Miss Blythe Margaret is adorable!! Blessings!

16 blessings'mom said...

Judy, I like the sound of candles, throw blankets, and coffee! Oh, that must have been scary for your little girl, can't believe she has to have it as an adult when that happened, but if she wants dental school there's probably no way around it. Hope she's okay. Yes, each morning those prayers to be awake and alert to what God has to teach us!!!
Terri, yes, busy, and thank you! I hope you are healing up after your surgery, I can't seem to comment on your blog, but I read it!!!!

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!

You’ve been busy since you got home. And look at that gorgeous baby girl!! I’m sure you could cuddle her all day. I could I know that 😊 The little boys are so cute in their interests in the Arizona critters. So adorable.

We have cooled off here too 🥶 This morning it was 3C 🥶 with a wind that felt as though it was coming from the North Pole! Well I’m off to Arizona in a week where it will be beautiful.

Have a great day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Joybells said...

I'm guessing that was my sister Betsy (Annetta) who had surgery. Thanks for taking her. <3 <3 <3 I appreciate the reminder about choosing thankfulness when everything feels like not enough! Have a great day!

Joy from Salem