summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, September 13, 2008

hulabaloo

These little dolls were the culprit, the reason the kids didn't get dollar menu items....
Okay, my first question: why doesn't someone just make nutritious wipes? Babies love 'em....and I can't be the only mom who has resorted to handing a wiggly baby a wipe while trying to change a particularly bad diaper, can I? This picture, of Camille's head, is significant if you knew my mother. She had red hair, all of her 7 children had some degree of red highlights....but she always was on the lookout for a red-haired grandchild....my Sonja is has the reddest hair....there are 48 grandchildren....and now my mom is gone.....and just looking a Camille's hair makes me sad sometimes, because Gramma would be seeing the shades of red.....and she never got to see Camille....but she can probably see her from heaven....


Okay, onto funner things (is funner a word? It really should be)....this is the group I took to McDonalds.....Charlotte Claire held by Evelyn, Jonny with thumb, Carmen (a friend) in the back in the pink, Kathryn holding Camille, then Suzanne and Sonja....


Evelyn Joy....she is such a good girl, if I do say so myself...she took a small boy under her wing at the Playplace, took care of him and helped him down the slide....when he was leaving with his parents, his dad told me I had nice kids, and asked how many I had....come to find out, they had eight! It was nice to chat with them, and he was an adorable boy, the two year old, not the dad.




No, it's not Suzanne's birthday....






They got a bit of excercise on a rainy evening....Charlotte Claire was in her element....


I must say, these kids were so good! My rose colored glasses? Nah, they were truly good....but why wouldn't they be? I sprung for the McRipoff Meals.....not because they begged, although Carmen stated firmly that that's what she was having (and she brought her own money, so what could I do?)....what did us in was the display case with all the fabulous prizes!: my absolute favorite: miniture Madam Alexander dolls, in a Wizard of Oz Theme....I asked the cashier which one they were giving out, hoping it was just the Flying Monkey, so I could tell the kids how they did not want one, but Oh NO, it was Dorothy with Toto in a basket, and Glinda, the Good Witch....and for boys, a Batman Helicopter.....Oh, Jon was jumping up and down....too late, shouldn't have approached that display case....but my Kathryn, Evelyn, and even Suse were very good about it, telling me they didn't need a Happy Meal....so, I bought them all one....Now, since they have only had a few of these in their whole lives, it was special....
They ran and played a tag game, including all the other kids there. We finally packed up and left, and on into Dollar Tree we went....I told them we weren't getting any toys, just a treat for at home....Jon started to fuss a little for a junky little firetruck, be he got ahold of himself, and I really praised him for it....so, we picked out some Italian Ices, Swiss rolls.....and some Lemon Heads and Fireballs for Aaron, who is not feeling very well....and home.....a fun ride, to be sure...We sang "Wheels On The Bus "at the top of our lungs, doing the horn honking, and wipers wiping....
Then home for snack....and a bit of play that got loud and crazy, so we put in a VegeTales movie....and by the time Carmen's dad got here to pick her up, they were sleepy and calm....
But poor Jon....on the way home, he was saying that Carmen should come over when we have our hulabaloo....I had to tell him that this IS our hulabaloo....thankfully, he thought it was great fun.....and the girls had fun too.... it's all in the marketing, helping them to look forward to some fun, all week....then hoping it is fun enough not to disapoint....





4 comments:

debi9kids said...

Sounds like a nice way to spend the day :)
LOVE all of the pics, esp. the gang of kids who went out to eat. Very cute!

ps All of my babies like to eat wipes! LOL

Cassandra said...

Your McCrappy meals have cool toys, we just get junk! not that i buy them anymore.. it has to be a special occasion ;-)
What a great day, i would have come with you if we lived closer...
love the pics

Cassandra xx

Handsfullmom said...

I stumbled onto your blog tonight and wanted to say thanks for posting! I have seven children and my days sound similar to yours, though probably not quite as intense! Keep up the good work.

mommeeof10 said...

At some Mcdonalds, you can buy just the toy. The price varies. Here it is around a dollar for the toy.