summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 22, 2008

my poor computer

It is sick...seems to have a virus....but Aaron is home from school now, and he's looking at it...he is 15 years old, and way smarter than me.

So, I am hogging a turn on the family computer...I just wanted to get on here and say a few things....sometimes I read the things I have written, and I sound so proud of myself. It's embarrassing. I am not so proud of myself. I feel like we're barely functioning around here sometimes. People say things sometimes like, "I don't know how you do it, I only have "?" kids, and I can't manage...." Oh dear, how can I explain that it is no different here?

And when I talk about teaching the kids manners, yes, that is a good thing. But they still burp (and worse) in Walmart and embarrass the heck out of me, and I think I am too much of a friend to them sometimes for them to properly respect me. I never would have been to my parents like they are to us....is that a generation thing, or was I just more fearful of my parents? I also don't like to give advice to people, except to be quick to love, quick to forgive, and be patient. Other than that, I really have no right to give advice, I am too wishy-washy. I do not dole out very many punishments. We sort of do this "expect good things" parenting, and just let them know we're dispointed when they're bad....the older kids sometimes accuse me of not taking enough action...."Are you going to just let him get away with that, Mom?!!!".....(where THEY got all this wisdom, I don't know...).....anyway, just want to apologize if I give the impression that I know the right way to do things.....also, I am an at home mom, though I go places almost every day. I am thankful that works for us. I am not narrowminded enough to be judgemental toward anyone elses' choices. I just like writing on here, getting to know other people.....so if you see me getting too preachy, just tell me!

The girls are suddenly interested in hand sewing. Suzanne came to me last night with a needle and thread, and a little piece of fabric.....so I showed her how to get started....if there is one thing my kids learn, it's persistence...she had to follow me around a bit before I had time to get to it....anyway, Margaret, Kathryn, and Evelyn are now sewing, too...I let them have some "stuffing" for their pillows....

6 comments:

Renata said...

I've never thought you sounded preachy. And I bet you have more advice than you think. I love reading your blog because you're real on it. You don't try & pretend you are perfect. Thanks for writing it!

junglemama said...

Thanks for being honest. Whatever it is that you are doing, I think the fact that your girls are into hand sewing is pretty amazing this day and age. Good job Mom.

Piper Paradise said...

I just love your blog. I love that is sounds like real life and that you sound happy - such a great thing to read :-)

Peta said...

It's nice to know someone else is dealing with the same things we are, so please don't change.

Barb said...

I absolutely love your blog. I read it everyday. I enjoy your honesty and I love the craziness of your life. I have 3 sons and never stop running, etc. I like hearing how other people live. Thanks for sharing....

barbandtheboys.blogspot.com

FLmom7 said...

Love your honesty!