summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

last day of vacation

And my kids are doing something I know they shouldn't be, playing on the trampoline with the hose. The sunny weather is still here, very warm in the high eighties. We went in the hot tub for a bit, but we don't have it set very high, so it is actually refreshing.

I was planning to take the kids on a "last hurrah" today, to an area beach that we haven't been to this year. I wasn't going to tell them until it was time to go, the older kids were in agreement to go, most of them, but when I called the park, the swimming was closed for the year. And I think it's too warm out for an outing outside that doesn't include water. So, I decided to just be content at home today.

I just am so resentful to have to send my kids to school this year. Joseph is a senior, and Aaron in tenth grade, Molly in 9th, that's not so hard. They go to school and learn quite a bit, with minimal time wasting. They have strong ties to their church youth group, so I am not too worried that they will be led astray or influenced too negatively at school. But I will be praying for them and encouraging them, too. The younger kids: much harder to say goodbye to. Sam: 7th grade - and he is such a soft-hearted boy. I think of him as just too good for this world, and by good, I mean abscence of malice. Oh, he can tease and bug, but he has a gentle spirit. He doesn't fit in all to well at school. But he has a few very good friends in the youth group. Margaret: She will do okay. She wants to be good, prides herself on it. I just will miss her. The younger ones, Kathryn 5th grade, Evelyn 3rd grade, Suzanne 2nd grade, and Sonja, 1st grade - I hate to send. They are my kids, darn it. We live out in the country, and the bus ride is too long. The 3 youngest don't get home until after 4:00 everyday. No fair. Each summer, I go back to contemplating home-schooling them. But in New York state, it isn't easy. Benjamin homeschooled for a few years in high school. The state requires that they take the standard tests, and wants grade reports every 4 months. And something in me thinks it's good for them to experience the social aspect of school. I haven't looked into any homeschooling networks, and I am sure there could be alternative social activites.....but on the plus side, the school is small, the teachers are excellent. I mean, this year the high school has a new French teacher: my sister's oldest daughter!!! So my kids have to call their cousin Mrs. teacher!

Well, as I sit here and type, Camille and Charlotte Claire are napping, and the hose on the trampoline has turned into a mud fight. Will it go away if I ignore it?

This coming weekend: Friday - Aaron has to go to a check-up at the hospital 2+ hours away....Jon and Charlotte Claire are invited to a birthday party, for an hour in the afternoon....Saturday: a wedding at our meeting hall, that we are doing, plus the 60th anniversary party of Paul's parents that we are all supposed to go to.....Sunday: meeting (church), then a birthday party for Evelyn, Suzanne, and Sonja to go to....so, I need to go look in my present closet.

The girls are now all in the shower.....which means they are pretty muddy. Thankfully, Mr. Jon has been in here bugging me the whole time. Not really bugging, just hanging around, playing with his cars, snitching drinks of my diet Pepsi......

I need to go switch laundry, and generally get moving.

1 comment:

Renata said...

I hate sending Zai to school - in fact Dave & I were discussing homeschooling last night - difficult decision to make! Hope they all transition back to school easily & enjoy it!