summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, September 21, 2008

a new week is starting

I like having sort of amnesia, that naivety that thinks a new week is a blank slate....I don't know off hand of any appointments this week...we do need some milk, but Joe has his sneakers....how will my week go? Will it be quiet, enjoyable, and relaxing? You never know. It might be. Ha.

One exciting thing: I bought another carriage. Crazy? Yeah, probably. I had bought that really nice seat, and needed a new chassis for it. Which cost $230 brand new. So I found one on e-bay for $100.....but of course it came with a seat too, and a diaper bag, and umbrella.....which I don't really need, but I "saved" $130..........it is an Inglesina Magnum. Very nice. And I really am going to start selling off my collection, or giving it away....or both.....

I don't know why I like strollers so much. Just can't figure it out. Maybe it is tied to having babies, and I know those are numbered....but my husband has been very patient with me, despite thinking I need mental help.

I don't know what people think when they hear we have so many kids here. I have personally given up my illusions of a "Godly" family long ago.....oh, the meek and obedient children.....the calm, loving mother.....we do eat our dinner together every night, which is priceless. We try to hold Charlotte Claire off from getting her plate, or she'll eat it all before we even pray. And Camille usually sits on my lap, or in her high chair, yelling for everything she sees. Then we hear the , "I hate this!", and ,"I am not hungry".....the laughing, teasing, fooling around, the younger ones taking advantage of having mommy and daddy there to tell things to.... It is a lot of work everynight, just setting the table, serving, cleaning up, pan washing, dishwasher....counters, table, sweeping....yes, we do have alot of help, but it isn't blissful asking certain kids to do certain chores.....and if you have kids, you KNOW they never, or rarely do things the way mommy really wants them done.....and if you call them back too many times, well, they hate it. They think mommy is picky and unthankful.....so, life isn't peaches, but it's pretty nice.....I can't complain.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

my thing is baby bottles. I'm even planning on breastfeeding and I have enough bottles to feed triplets at least? I could go 3 days without washing bottles, and thats with a newborn, aka 13 bottles a day LOL. And whats worse is that these are all avent, i will get bored with them and end up buying all new ones of a different kind.

I would be the same way if we used strollers that often. But i do have the big peg perego that turns into a carriage, a sit and stand, and a lightweight mini stroller (looks like a fullsize and has basket but drives and is weight of umbrella stroller)

Baby stuff is just so much fun huh? The little clothes and socks and onesies, and gowns omg I have gone crazy this time, not all new but i have probably 30 gowns LOL

anyway hugs girl :) i love your posts

Renata said...

I don't have a problem with too many baby things - but I do hate letting go of them. I would keep everything as memories if I could - but I can't.
Your family dinner sounds wonderful! I grew up with only 5 kids in my family & I remember the noisy, loud, fun family dinners we had! - they are one of my favourite memories!

Peta said...

my obsession is also prams. I cant help buying a new 1 everytime I see 1 I like. I love Ebay for them. You can get any sort for very little money.
Our dinner table sounds a lot like yours, so does the moaning kids when there asked to help mamma out every now and again.

FLmom7 said...

Nice to know you are a normal (not perfect!) family;-) I'm laughing at the stroller obsession, I've BTDT too (and bottles too, like Heather above)...oh and baby carriers, cloth diapers...and so on!

Enola said...

Do you have food rules? Like kids having to take a "no thank you bite" or try everything or stay at the table until everyone is done? We're trying to find a happy medium at our house.

My daughter thinks prayer time is a hoot. She'll tell one of us to pray. Then she'll start sneaking food while we are praying. If I open my eyes and catch her, she'll say "Oooh mommy you cheated - you opened your eyes!"

16 blessings'mom said...

Hi Enola, yes we do have food rules. We have to, or dinner would be more chaotic than it already is. Half the noise is from mom/dad/older ones correcting the younger ones....we feel that we are doing them a huge favor by teaching them manners. I tell them if they ever got invited to the White House, they could thank us...they have to say please, thank you, no reaching, keep your drink safely north of your plate, no smacking, no talking with your mouth full, and absolutely no licking off your fingers...or wiping your hands on your clothes, or your mouth on your shirt....you get the idea...and they have to ask to be excused before they get down....so you can imagine if one of the kids puts their elbows on the table, 3 kids are calling them on it...but I think it is really important to send them out in the world with table manners, I don't ever want my kids to be burdens when we go places...don't get me wrong, it isn't the old "children should be seen and not heard", or anything that strict...just basic manners. And if they don't like something, we try to encourage them to try it, but we don't force anything. Sonja hates vegetables, we make her eat just like one green bean....I want meal time to be a good time, not filled with issues, and battles of will....we as parents set the tone for these things, and like everything else, if we don't make a big deal out of their preferences, or refusals to eat something, it usually doesn't end up being a big deal....oh wait, did you want the short answer? Sorry! You are probably going crazy about now, one day over due!! I am thinking of you, and still praying for you for a peaceful labor and delivery....