summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, December 21, 2008

can anyone say cold?

It couldn't have been 10 degrees last night, in fact if was in the single digits when Paul brought the boys to their boys group party. Today it is supposed to go up into the twenties. But the wind will pick up, 40 miles per hour tonight, with more lake effect snow. Maybe we will get another snow day tomorrow!

Today is our Christmas Feast at church. Turkey and all the trimmings. We number about 100 or less in our fellowship. There are 40 or 50 youth age, then around 30 twelve and under, then the adults. We are the minority. We are in a church with a very vibrant youth group. They are all getting presents for a secret santa thing for the children. They thought this up on their own a few years ago, and it is just so unselfish. I know I will cry. Seeing teenagers being so un-selfish just makes me weep. We have a huge box of gifts to give to the families.

We will have a meeting, then eat together, then there will be games for the kids, and then gifts. It is a very special feast, not to be missed. And what a day to bring the kids out and about! If it were for anything else, I don't think we would do it.

Today started out challenging from before I got out of bed. Camille has a little cold, and the other night I gave her a very small amount of cold medicine, to dry her up for night time. She slept wonderfully that night. Then the next night, she woke up 3 or 4 times. Then last night: 7 times. Yes, seven times I got out of my warm fuzzy bed and nursed her. I do believe that the medicine, even in miniscule amounts, makes her hyper. So, tonight we use salt nose drops and the vaporizer.

I got up this morning with her, came out here to Charlotte Claire screaming and crying. She started doing this recently. Very exaggerated and loud. Drama Queen. She was fussing about something. All the little ones had woken up way too early. I had a talk with them about not waking each other up, just sneaking out of bed. Some of them would sleep a lot longer if they weren't wakened by their siblings. And it isn't that I want them to stay in bed, it is that they are so much happier when they get more sleep.

Two of them have had showers, I have to do at least 5 more before we go. I am taking a break this morning. I put King Kong jr. in the high chair with some cereal and a bottle of juice, and let the other kids watch some public television while they eat their bagels. On the floor. Never on the couch. But they should be at the table. But, our tile floor is SO cold this morning, and the living room is so cozy and warm.....I told them they have to finish before Miss Camille is unleashed on them......

Here I sit...I have a cookie plate to make up, and many other things to do.....

2 comments:

Robin said...

It is sooo cold here too! Have fun at your Feast!!

mommeeof10 said...

Cold is bad! Hubby and I decided we could not afford the gas and boarding the dog, so we are staying in Virginia for Christmas. I'll miss my family, but at least we won't freeze! After 20 years away from NY, living in mild climates, my blood is thinner?