summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, December 18, 2008

the colds are here....

Well, I took the kids shopping the other day, and imagine my guilt when we got home and I realized that Charlotte Claire was warm. I took her temperature (I keep the thermometer in my purse now, so I always know where one is), and sure enough, 101. Then she started in on a bit of a cold. It isn't too bad, but alot of us are getting stuffy and headache-y. (you can add "y" to anything, right?) It is just the kind of cold that makes me feel sorry for myself and want to snuggle into bed, or sit with a cup of tea under a blanket. But then there are alot of things that make me feel sorry for myself and make me want to snuggle into bed...

So Kathryn has skipped today, sore throat. And little Sonja got all ready, spiffy and pretty, and decided her stomach hurt. Which is fine with me. They do so well in school. I do feel guilty that the school recieves no state aid when the kid is absent, but oh well. If I couldn't keep the kids here as often as I do, I would probably be homeschooling.

Today Emily, Abigail (after one of her finals), Mirielle, and Mali are going out to lunch and shopping. And I find myself a little bit jealous. I know they are sisters, and I am their mom. That they want to spend time together, and that they are good friends makes me happy, but still: see, I feel sorry for myself and want to got to bed.......

Camille has this new cold, too. Which totally negates what I wrote about mommy setting the cue for how baby behaves at night. Ha. When they are sick, all bets are off. She is sort of congested, but not really in the chest, more just that throaty thing, that tickle/cough, stuffy nose, wake up alot thing. She was only up for three nursing sessions, but in between, she kept waking me up with her noises, and I would get myself braced to get out of my warm comfy bed, then she would drift back off. So it could have been worse.

Every year, we go to my brother's house for Christmas eve. Long ago, it was at my parents' house, but we outgrew it. My brother has 10 children, 4 are married, a few grandchildren. Then I have a brother with one child, a brother married with 2, a brother who is single, a brother married with 12 kids, and my sister married with 7 girls, 2 of whom are married, two grandchildren. That makes 48 grandchildren that my parents aren't around to enjoy. Boo-hoo. But, most of us still pack into my brother's house for the evening, and it is crazy. We have lasagna, and ham, and all sorts of goodies, eaten sort of casually buffet style, at the tables when you get a chance. The kids are all excited to see their cousins, and can't wait for the presents. We manage to get some small gifts for the kids. This year I am just giving to the younger ones, and the older ones can be covered under the family gifts. It is one of the "funnest" nights of the year.

And every year, we have a feast at church. There are twelve couples/families, and a few singles. We get something for each of them, like a box of candy. Or two, if they have a lot of kids. The neat thing is this: the youth(ages 12 and up ) decided among themselves to draw names to buy for the under 12's. Last year I was crying, it was so unselfish-seeming, watching those teenagers and twenty-somethings come out singing, and handing out the gifts to the excited kids. Of course I have 8 kids in the youth group, so who ends up buying most of the presents? Yup. And then, they have youth parties, where they draw names. A few of them can afford to do it on their own, but I end up doing a few too. I don't mind, it's just that with all that, then secret santa gifts at school, it's mind-boggling. I have most of it done, but still have some things in my closet that I haven't sorted out yet. And a whole potpurri of things I have collected for the kids' stockings.

Well, Camille the cuddlebug is awake, and my time for typing is over....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! You have a huge family! :) That is so cool!

Robin said...

Sorry about the colds! I only have one sister and am jealous of those with huge extended families:) Hope you enjoy your time at your brothers!