summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, December 4, 2008

very cozy day....

and I wasn't going anywhere for several days, right? Well, I had to go mail these packages to those trusting people who bought stuff on ebay from me. One was in Alaska. I wanted to make sure they got them as soon as possible with Christmas coming, so out I went. I couldn't make an 8mile round trip to the post office and not stop at the BigM, could I? I just wanted to get some rolls for dinner, as I am cooking a turkey. Well, lo and behold they were having a special Thursday through Sunday sale!!! I couldn't pass up buy one get one free pizza dough! I mean, 7o cents for a pizza dough? and the six packs of Lender's bagels, $1....and a few other things.....I never buy anything unless it's on sale. I cannot even think of what it would be like to need things and go buy them, rather than just buy what's on sale so you have it when you need it...

Anyway, I am home, we had some lunch, Camille and Charlotte Claire are napping....and I should be doing things, I will get moving in a minute....there is much to do....I have to match that load of socks! And the treadmill is calling me.....the turkey is in the oven, and it is starting to smell good in here. Molly, who didn't feel well today (Molly had a headache all night, and I had mercy because I had an awful one the other day), is painting the little kids' room.

What I really want to do is go snuggle into bed and take a nap. Camille only woke up twice last night, but I could still sleep.....I love naps....but alas, I hardly ever get them, which probably adds to their appeal.....I did a terrible thing: I opened an electric blanket that I had bought for a Christmas present for one of the kids, and put it on my side of the bed. My feet just get so cold! Especially when I get up with Camille. And there's no way I can sleep with socks on......if Paul wants to share, he'll just have to come over and visit me.

Mirielle had a good suggestion: that I schedule an appointment somewhere to get a family picture done. Emily will be done with work, Abigail on school vacation.....I'll just have to pin down the elusive Benjamin, then bug and badger him so he doesn't forget or blow it off.....

A comment left on here: "God doesn't call the equipped, he equips the called".......I really like that....

I have thought alot lately about me, and about being responsible for so many lives. I never learned how to cook for 15 or 18 or 20 people. Or how to have a laundry system. Or how to balance the time to go over homework and do spelling tests. Or how to buy things at the end of the season for the next year, and remember what I have and for who....Or how to keep the house stocked with toilet paper and dishwashing stuff......And truthfully, I am not always good at all these things. In fact, I fail miserably in a few. But the husband and the kids are the important part.....to love them and work with them and lead them to God......all the other things....oh, they are useful, because I see how lacking I am , keeps me very humble....and helps me seek God. We don't have to be great in all these things, that is not the point of life. The point is to trust the Lord that He never makes mistakes. He gave the children, He will give sufficient grace to Paul and I to raise them to His glory.

4 comments:

Piper Paradise said...

I think you are a vessel from above to tell me just what I need to hear. Thanks for writing my message regularly : -)

Cassandra said...

Della, i agree with Glenda, sometimes you tell me just what i need to hear to help me get through the day with a smile on my face
Cassandra xx

Anonymous said...

For the socks you should try asking one of the very young kids: "let's play make pairs!" It worked with me. And I loved helping.

FLmom7 said...

Well, that was refreshing...it is nice to hear that you are not SuperMom...so many moms of large families seem (from the outside) to have it all together, be so organized, so well balanced in their home and life...I'm not there either, I am like you- always feeling humble but I think that is a good thing;-) I still have trouble with dinner time for 8 (picky) people, can't imagine doing it for how many you've got there. I'm sure you're doing just fine, and your family is going to remember you love more than anything.