summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, September 17, 2010

hmm, jamaica again?

We had such an excellent time in Jamaica last year. Paul and I had never gone on a honeymoon, we got married on a Friday night, and went to work on Monday morning. And, to my older kids' incredulity, we went to church that Sunday, too. So after almost 26 years of marriage, last year we finally went on a trip. Only five days, but five HEAVENLY days.

We are thinking of going again. Mirielle said last night that when she gets out of school for the semester she will be glad to watch the kids. We were checking some prices, it is cheaper this year than last year. Of course we are only "talking" about going now, and it might not be Jamaica, it could be Dominican Republic or the Bahamas....oh, even if we don't end up going, the speculation is fun!

So one thing I have decided is that I need to get into a bit better shape in the next few months, just in case. This summer I swam a lot, and tried to eat sensibly, for the most part....but for the last few weeks since the weather turned chillier, I have felt blah and haven't excercised at all. I really like to eat, and I know that diets don't work, and I am not going to go on and on on this blog about calories or portions...I am just going to eat less and make better choices and try to get to the school pool or go on the treadmill. I won't turn into a covergirl for the NutriSystem, but I will feel better. The thing is, I decided this last night. Heck, I decide every single night that "tomorrow I will be wiser about everything I eat..."ha. I don't even believe myself anymore. But I SUPER decided last night. Then this morning, as if by magic, I woke up SUPER hungry. And there were Toaster Pastries left. Rasberry. I made some for the school kids, and poured myself a small bowl of Shredded Wheat. Then somehow there was an extra half of pastry, so I picked it up and took a bit...Nope, I asked Charlotte Claire if she wanted it, and she did! One small victory.....(please, please, do not anyone even ask about the seven hundred donuts Mirielle is picking up tomorrow for our soccer tournament/music feast...I am already battling in my mind about it....donuts are pretty good....)

Charlotte Claire is on the floor behind me playing dollhouse. Yesterday, I sorted through the stuff and removed all Jon's cars, a few stray socks, blocks, crayons, and other assorted items that had gotten mixed in with the dollhouse stuff...I ended up sitting down there on the floor helping them set up houses....anyway, Miss C.C. has SEVEN dollhouse babies. They are all lying in their cribs and basinettes.....if I have done one thing, I have instilled in my children an absolute LOVE for babies....

Emily Anne was here again last night. And I stayed up way too late again last night. blah, when I am tired it is hard to make good choices....(oh dear me, it is only nine o'clock in the morning...) But it was so much fun to stay up late and talk...Mirielle stayed up late with us too, then she got up at 5:30 to go to the gym......why, oh why, can't I be more like Mirielle?

Today we are going shopping. We need some things for the weekend, things not for us but for the church stuff tomorrow. It is so nice that Mirielle has early classes and is home before 1:00 on Fridays....so much nicer to have a shopping companion. Especially one like her, she cuts the coupons....I went to the store without her the other day, and everything I put into the cart, I imagined her chastising me because she had a coupon for it. She really is a fun girl.

Why is it that the more decided one is to get into shape, the more one thinks about things like donuts? Why do we torture ourselves? Why are we our own worst enemies? hmm. I have some mental battles to win here.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Donuts are just SO good:-) I, too, am trying to do much better and have day 2 at the gym under my belt. I have been going with my daughter and that makes it so much fun! She is doing much better than me, but baby steps are good, I guess;-)

Darla said...

My husband and I and the kids just looked at our old pics of my and my hubby's Mexico trip we took for our 10th wedding anniversary. Mmmmm, I could go for a trip like that right about now!

Rebecca said...

Hi there Della,

I've been following your blog for a while now and enjoy reading your posts about your busy life with your lovely big family.

I'm a mum myself, to just two little ones, both of whom have cystic fibrosis. I've been blogging about our life for a few years now, and today I awarded you a blog award. Feel free to pop over to my blog to pick it up!

God bless, and thank you for brightening my days with your sunny posts about your lovely family!

Becky x

maureen said...

Oh it is so much fun to dream, isn't it? I hope you and Paul get to go somewhere. And aren't you lucky to have big girls that want to lend a hand?!

Sometimes I think about the day in the future, when I can have a night to myself, you know, one where you wake up in the morning and don't have to make breakfast for anyone? But then I am so happy to have my kids around me, and I would have to stop adopting babies...so never mind, I can wait!

Good luck on your plans!
Maureen