summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, September 19, 2010

sunday, a day of rest....

That title always makes me laugh. I DID have a day of rest on a Sunday once, I am sure, but I don't remember.

Today was Day Two of the soccer tournament. Let me start with Day One....

Candy store...I love working at the candy store....it is special because for some of the kids, it is the only time they actually get to have money and go and pick things out. It is a highlight of these weekends for them. They are SO cute. Since so many of my kids were playing soccer and practicing for their evening performances, and so many of the sixteen year olds and up were working at the Carrier Dome, we were short staffed and I found it hard to get away even to use the bathroom. It killed me not to watch my own kids play soccer, but I guess it didn't REALLY kill me, did it? I could see some of the games from where I was....it was quite exciting because KATHRYN scored a goal!!! In the first game! They also won that game, which has rarely happened for our team in all the years of playing.....Kap was humble about it, she said the ball was just there, and she just kicked it in....but it was a very exciting and promising start for them....unfortunately, it was their only win....

So we served our meal yesterday to almost seven hundred people.....we served roasted pork loin with apple gravy, baked potatoes and butter and green beans. We have it down pretty smoothly to form assembly lines and pack them into foam containers.....after everyone was served, I fed my kids and cleaned them up and brought them into the Music Feast in the meeting hall....

The children's choir was precious....Suzanne had a solo, and sung so sweetly. Abigail, Joseph, Aaron, and Margaret were in the jazz band, that was nice too. Each church had a few different groups perform, it was entertaining and encouraging.

Today has been that special post-conference good feeling stuff. We are so thankful for our friends! Our family has been so blessed once again. It seems no matter how much some of us give, we are given back many many times more. I am fully aware that my children are turning into faithful and God-fearing and amazing young adults because of God, and the church.....I can never repay that debt.

Not that there aren't trials along the way...but we know that with every temptation, there is a way out....Jesus overcame, we can also. Then it is only good.

Something really funny: several of the kids told me that a boy they know reads this...so hello to him, the nice little guy in Ottowa! I only hope I haven't written anything that embarrassed them!

While working at the candy store, I made friends with four little girls who wanted to help me. These girls are all from large families, so we had fun talking about how they are treated in school and getting along with brothers, and dinner-time craziness. I must say, I am very proud of them, they learned quite quickly how to take money and make change. I found that if I hung back and watched from more of a distance, they were more sure of themselves and could figure things out....I let them pick out some candy when they left....

So I am happy today, life is full of promise. Things I have noticed today....

The breeze smells like fabric softener and autumn leaves.

The sun is shining on Kathryn, who is practicing handstands in the front yard.

Mirielle brought home some of the leftover donuts, shh, and hmm..let's just say my good intentions were somehow lost along the way...but I won't give up...tomorrow is another day. By the way, they were EXCELLENT donuts. I think the friends enjoyed them last night, too.

Camille is unrolling a roll of toiled paper. Paul just said to her, "Charlotte, can you stop doing that?" To which she answered, "I am Camille..." He said, "Yes, you are Camille."

Jonathan is lying on the living room floor with a pillow and blanket playing with some silly bands...

Abigail is here...she helps with the church books, so she has stuff to do.

Joseph went on a run. He swept the kitchen and living room first.

Our house....our poor house...when we have a busy weekend like this, oh my goodness....there is stuff to do everywhere....we have mostly caught up, here and there...I ask each kid I see to do a little bit here and there because they are tired and I don't want to create what they call a "stress-fest"....so I am plodding along picking things up and it is almost back to normal....

Since lunch consisted of...uh-hum, donuts....we shall have an early dinner. I need to go out there and get that going before they all start getting too hungry to wait and start making all sorts of goodies....

1 comment:

cheryl said...

Hahahaha.. I was hoping your family would get some of the left- over dounuts!! A very good lunch, indeed!!