summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

homeschooling?

Yes, I have considered it. Especially this year, our summer was SO nice. Here is Miss Mali....
These guys ride on first trip, and come home an hour earlier than the three elementary kids...Mali, 11/12 grade (she is graduating a year early), Aaron 12th, Kathryn 7th ,Sam 9th, Evelyn 5th, and Margaret 8th....
They weren't too thrilled with me for taking their pictures this morning...don't they look excited?

These guys actually were excited...Sonja 3rd grade, Suze 4th grade, and Jonathan first grade.





Not much drama this morning....we had to search for one of Jon's new sneakers, he has two pair and the ones he was going to wear were too tight....he has funny feet, his second toes cross over his third, and he needs really wide sneakers...he hates wearing socks and sneakers, but in school, no sneakers means no playground.
I made cinnamon raising bagels for everyone, their lunches were packed, smooth sailing.
And I didn't cry yet. But I will.




3 comments:

Joni said...

Totally understand your interest in homeschooling. This year I took the plunge - and though I wonder daily if I am doing 'enough teaching', or directing them to lessons enough - I absolutely love having them home. And as we've already been in our school year for almost a month, I can say they have at least learned something! I have to actually take a step back, even with our oldest who is 10, and I'm working on their basic addition skills. They are all bright kids, and I can see that they will have a great advantage in life in general, and in higher level math courses, when the basic addition (and subsequently subtraction) come without any thought.

I love the fact that it does not matter what time our 'school day' starts. If I hope to get lessons started at 9, but they're actually starting at 9:30, it doesn't matter. I love that we can pick a day to forget 'school' and pack up and go to a fun park instead. I love that they are not influenced daily by all the bad stuff they are exposed to in school.

I can say that though a school district may be reputable, the teachers may be wonderful - I find myself stepping back and looking at the whole picture of public schooling these days. How can a teacher (however wonderful) really get to every child in the way they may learn best, when there are likely at least 25 kids in the class? I do not have any negative thoughts toward someone who has their kids in public schools, but do feel like you do - I really do not want to give my kids up to the school system. I want them here with me! They will be grown and gone in just a few years ... I'm greedy!

You'll do great if you decide to homeschool, but I certainly do not disrespect you if you choose not to!

Mom said...

What beautiful pictures! I love that you would rather have the chaos of having all of the kids at home--then to miss them while they go to school. That is awesome! We are homeschooling (just pre-school at the moment) and I have to admit that one of the benefits is getting to hang out with my kiddos more. I love it!

AUTISMOMMA said...

That is so odd that Jon has those crazy toes, as Reiss has them as well. They are something he developed over time during his toddler years and every time I brought it to the doc's attention, he always just told me it was fine....just like he did with all our concerns when we talked to him about the OCD behaviors, tantrums, lack of social interaction, everything. Sometimes I wish I had looked into the toe thing more.....