summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

enjoying the kids....even more

Jonathan, poor Jon...his track doesn't meet, he lost a piece. I have helped him look, but it has disapeared into the land of lost socks....so his train goes around, and has to be turned around again... But he has a nice daddy, who is looking online to buy him some more track....

Anyway, I sat here watching Jon play, and the next thing I know, you guessed it, I was crying my eyes out....because life goes by so fast....I just want to appreciate these moments, enjoy these guys....we put lights in the living room windows, so it is sparkly in here....I made some snowflakes with the girls, then sat at the table and colored with them...I drew Charlotte Claire a Christmas tree, and some little candy canes for her to glue on to it. I even let her cut some things....she loves to cut, as we all know. Suze is still sick, but she ate some ice cream and kept it down. Our dinner was simple, scrambled eggs and bacon and the Italian bread I bought today. And applesauce.

I went in my room to put away some clothes, and Kathryn was on my bed crying her eyes out. I don't know why it is hitting us like this, I never thought it would be so hard. And this is only the first day!!!! Again, I SO appreciate the comments and support from all of you!! Thank you!!!

9 comments:

Tereza said...

You're a wonderful, loving mother. Your children cry because they have learned to love! God bless you during this difficult time. I'll be praying!

Ashley said...

I am sorry today was a sad day!! (hugs)) I have to wonder though, what about this do you feel is different than say one of your kids going a year to Holland, or where ever it was? Is it the child, or the profession, or what?

Ashley said...

This is Holly, not Ashley...btw! Stupid google mail. LOL

16 blessings'mom said...

Well, Holly, I don't even know where to begin with that question....it is like day and night, comparing the Army to going to our church center in Norway for a year. In the church, there are friends who know my kids, who care for them and encourage and help them...it is a very good and safe place. The Army is something else entirely. I am sure Ben can handle it, but it will be hard. And I hate to be Captain Obvious, but, our country is AT WAR. And since Benjamin is going into Combat Medic Training, well, he is at some point going to be not only in great danger, but he will see things that quite possibly will require therapy in later life to deal with. Does that make sense?

Anonymous said...

thinking of you from down under. I can't imagine how hard it would be to let your little ehhhm, big boy go!

Melissa said...

I am a long time reader but have never commented before. My little brother entered the Air Force this time last year. It was hard as it was the first time in 18 years that he had missed both Thanksgiving and Christmas with family.

If I could give you only one word of advice it would be to let the kids write him...that is once you get a address. This might sound like a simple idea but from what my brother told me it was what got him through basic and the holidays.

Let the kids write him everyday if they feel the need. I bought cards in advance at the dollar store and spent one night filling them all out. Then I addressed them all and had then handy so I could drop one in the mail every morning!! It helped me know he was receiving words of encouragement and helped him know his family was behind him.

I can honestly say that was the best $20 worth of stamps I have every bought!!

One more thing, just remember even though he is a adult he left your little boy but will return a Man! At least this is what I saw in my brother.

Good luck and be strong!!

Carolyn said...

Awww! I would cry to if I were you! It's so honorable for Ben to join the Army, but it's so scary for his loved ones; God bless and keep him safe.

Here are the words to a song we sing at church; may they comfort your heart ~

God Bless Our Men
God bless our men in air, on land and sea!
Full well we know how dear they are to thee.
Where’re they go, whatever they may dare,
God keep them in thy gracious care.

God guard our men by night as well as day,
For we, at home for them will every pray,
That war and strife and enmity may cease,
And Thou will send us everlasting peace.

God guard our men, O keep them ever near!
Make strong their faith and drive out all their fear.
Give them a vision of Thy saving love,
That nothing in this world can ever move!

God guard our men, and though just now they roam,
Grant us our prayers and bring them safely home.
God bless our foes and cause all eyes to see,
That peace, O Christ, can only come from thee.

Thinking of you and yours,

Carolyn

cheryl said...

Perhaps when Ben is done with his army career, he may go to Norway! And though you'd miss him terribly, you'd know he was in one of the "best places on Earth".. and we'd rejoice! Personally, I can't even think of him without crying, and I have immense respect for those whose loved ones serve(d) for the Military, almost as much as the "servants", themselves. He has a ton of people praying for him, and I hope he remembers that!

Ashley said...

Well, it does make sense, what you say...I was just wondering why it was hitting you so much harder. So, it is the profession, not the child. :) I pray that he doesn't need therapy. That is exactly the reason I won't encourage mine to go into the military. Selfish I know, but it's the truth. For me, growing up the way I did, the military tainted things. I am glad there are those that are willing to serve though. :)