summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, July 23, 2011

sadness in Norway

Aaron came home right before the terrible attacks. I read the authorities closed the borders after it all happened. A peaceful country with five million people, and these horrible things happening to innocent people.

How can such evil exist?

Then there are the good people. There was a crash on the Thruway near here the other night, right after I picked Aaron up at the airport. A tour bus and a tractor trailer collided. An Army soldier from Fort Drum was right behind the accident, so he, along with other citizens, pulled every single person off the bus right before it went up in flames. He was enroute to his home in Oklahoma, which I personally know is a long long trip, yet he took the time to bring some family members of an injured man who was helicoptered to the hospital. After arriving at the hospital, they realized the man had been taken to a different city, over an hour in the other direction. The Sargeant took the people there, and waited with them until they were okay, and re-united with the injured man. Now there is a hero! Above and beyond the call of duty.

I have now lost 34 pounds! It seems that I could lose more quicker if I cut out the chocolate, but is life worth living without chocolate? Paul brought home some treats from a guy at work, including organic fair trade dark chocolate, oh so good. And, some white chocolate with sea salted cashews and ginger. Thankfully it was a small bar, because I was the only one who delighted in it. No "wait and they will eat it all" with this chocolate. It is now gone, phew. Yum. But, the bar of Norwegian chocolate from Aaron is in the 'fridge, and if anyone so much as touches it...rrr. When I am good and ready, I shall take it out and share it. Or, perhaps when I am here all alone..ha.

The little princesses are happy. I bought them a set of princess paper dolls yesterday. It is so very hot outside, unless one is swimming, and there are horseflys out, that seem to be worse when it is so hot out. So, here in our air conditioned living room, they are playing paperdolls. They played for hours yesterday. They are playing again now.

Kids are eating popsicles. There are dolls in strollers out. Mirielle says one baby is so cute she wishes it were real. Me too, Mirielle, me too. Jonathan has a headache and is resting on his blankets on the floor in the cool. I think I am going to have to go do some shopping for the grill, I have lots more to get.

Suze is walking around in her bathing suit, asking to go in the pool. I guess I am going swimming. Poor me, eh?

3 comments:

Martha said...

I read the news in disbelief. So much senseless tragedy... My heart aches for the people of Norway. How does one ever reconcile the atrocity of such an act? And when the perpetrator is tagged as a "Christian"? It hurts ever so much the more.

My heart aches for the Amish families who lost cherished family members this week too. How the heart of God must grieve!

I am relieved there is goodness in midst of terror, angels in time of need, and the grace of God in tragic times.

Congrats again on the weight loss and the happy princesses.

Angela said...

I thought of Aaron when I saw this tragedy on the news and said a prayer of thanks that he had made it home safely before it happened. With your family's close connection to Norway, I know you must be especially affected by this. Things like this just don't make any sense and all we can do is trust that God is in control. I'm sure you'll hug Aaron just a bit tighter tonight. God bless.

16 blessings'mom said...

Thank you, Martha. I do wonder muchly why some people choose the good and some the evil...Angela, I will hug Aaron, but only in spirit, he doesn't love hugs. Well, maybe I'll hug him anyway. The whole ordeal over there sounds just like it was just terrifying, and really hard to understand.