summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

what would you do?

what would you do if your tranquil yard was being infringed on? Possibly ruined forever? We found out the property adjacent to ours is being purchased by a car collision center up on the main road...and will probably be zoned commercial. We went to the town planning meeting because we found out this property is being possibly developed into: a race track! Mud and dirt racing! Right next door...noise, dirt, dust, people, blah!!!

Now, this is just in the planning stage, but this property owner/planner isn't waiting for permission. He is starting to dig and move dirt. I guess there is no law here against moving dirt around on one's own property.

I am pretty rattled by all this. We have been so spoiled. We bought this property out in the country because we like raising the kids out in the country. Not next to a parking lot used for dirt track racers.

So, we shall go to the board meeting next week. We shall raise our opposition, and see what happens. I wish I wish I wish we had bought the property next door. I wish we had. But we didn't. blah.

I have to remember that this is just another monkey wrench in the monkey wrench pile, and that our home is not on this earth. There is a reason for everything, and honestly, it was good to meet our neighbors tonight. There is some strange satisfaction in being united with them against this project.

I mean, I am all for capitalistic ventures, but...not THIS, not HERE.

blah.

We shopped today again. One hundred pizza doughs, 10 twelve packs of soda for the grill. Some stuff for us.

We have two sick little girls. Camille and Charlotte Claire. Char's temperature was 103.6. Camille woke me in the night last night because she was feverish and had a headache. "I want you, Mama, I want you." Now, I don't hear this as much as I used to, so I was okay with missing a little bit of sleep to comfort "my baby".

Jonathan was already sick, so we kind of know what to expect. Nothing too bad, just a few days of fever and headache and camping out on the couch.

Tomorrow I plan to stay home with my sick little girls and let Joe or Aaron or Mirielle take the other kids over to church to make signs and posters for the Children's Day parade next week at our summer conference.

I am rather happy about one thing: I came home from all my shopping, with not much time to get ready for the town meeting, yet I went on the treadmill, then took a quick swim. Mirielle made me a really good salad, which I had when I got home with some chicken on top.

Well, the older kids are watching a movie, and I am distracted. Oh, I forgot, I bought a sports bra today, my first one ever! It was really cheap, I thought it would be a good incentive, but it fits!

3 comments:

Martha said...

Blah! It's bad enough dealing with apple sprayer late at night or in the wee hours of the morning. We can hardly complain as they were her long before us... I guess I would voice my opposition while I had the chance.

Karen said...

You'll have to buy a race car/cycle/whatever and join them if it goes through! :-)

No, seriously, that would be quite annoying right next door!

Anonymous said...

I love your pictures up on top! I don't know how new they are...I usually read in Google Reader, so I don't see what your actual blog looks like!

..about your new neighbors?! I'd cry. Oh, I feel for you. I know this isn't the same, but we live in the outskirts of Torrington. Blah. I think you've been around here, right?! It's not a bad place to live, but it sure isn't country and it's UGLY. There is a road close to where I live that goes up into the "mountain" and there are few houses and a really nice farm, woods and fields. All of this set into hills and it was beautiful. I'd walk up there and fantasize about being able to buy that farm at the top of the hill, with the fields, stone walls, woods and pond! It was peaceful and one of the most gorgeous (local) sites, especially early in the morning or in the evening, which is when I got to go there. Anyway...someone bought the land and absolutely ruined it with the construction. :( I felt like it killed something inside and I haven't been able to go back. I obviously had no claim on the place, but it was "mine". Basically, what I'm trying to say is if I felt that way about that little spot, it must be so much worse when it's next to the home you've made for your kids...and I guess this isn't making you feel any better, but I SYMPATHIZE!!! :(

I hope everyone feels better really soon! we are looking forward to family week... :)