summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

, heartbeat

Yes, there is a tiny little heartbeat. I was absolutely thrilled. Then I talked to the midwife, who wasn't as optimistic. She said the heartbeat was slow, 114 beats per minute, and the baby measured small for 8 and a half weeks. I told her my cycles had been longer, so that could explain it. I am also still a bit crampy, spotting just a little bit here and there...so she said it could go either way. blah. I do not want to go either way, I want this baby!!! There is nothing I can do but wait and pray.

All of my kids know now. Jonathan found out from his sisters giving hints. He is totally thrilled. I told him the baby is very small and might not make it. He said, "Well, we just have to have hope." Thank you Jonathan. I shall remember that.

One thing the midwife said was, "We don't have as much control over things as we think we do." hmm.

Well, the college kids are home and need some folders I have squirreled away in my room, and I need to start thinking about the dreaded dinnertime. There is also another town board meeting tonight, our nice neighbor is not giving up easily.

10 comments:

Allison said...

wonderful to have heard the heartbeat, i am a little jealous! :) we shall keep hope like jonathon and say lots of prayers for your little on!

hoping and praying,
allison

Mike and Katie said...

Yeah! I'm so happy you got to see the baby! I'm rooting for that sweet little thing. Control??? Bhahahaha? Babies are the most unpredictable thing on the planet! You've certainly been around long enough to know that. They have their own time and their own way and each moment you have with one is a miracle. Hugs!

Mary Kate said...

For now, you *do* have this baby and, really, always will. Rejoice in the new life and remember to tell this baby how much you love him/her (I know you already do!). God bless you!!

Deb said...

Praying that all goes well.

I think about my friend who had been told by her doctor that the baby would probably not survive at birth, and he is a strapping, crew-rowing college student today.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

ccc said...

A heartbeat! It is exciting to see that flutter on the screen. Did they talk about putting you on progesterone, perhaps that is what the spotting is from. My midwife believes all women over forty need to be supplemented with it, but not all drs think it.

Cassandra said...

YAY!!!!!! I am absolutely thrilled for you Della :-) PTL !!!!!!
cramping is always totally normal for me, I hate it because I worry so much but for me it means everything is okay.
Have you had your progesterone checked ? That could be a reason for the spotting , especially as we get older ;-)
Again I am just so happy for you !!!! :-)
Cassandra xx

Mary said...

I am so thrilled that you got to see this sweet baby's heartbeat. Congratulations! I will keep hope like your sweet Jonathan and keep praying for this little life. God bless you.
Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Just wonderful!!!
Jonathan is a wise little fellow ;-) Keeping fingers & toes crossed for you!

T.L. said...

oh I am so happy!! I can imagine that you don't know how to feel, but don't worry we all have high hopes for this baby, and we can help you believe he can make it!! I have seen so many miracle babies this year. One friend had a huge oedema in her uterus, it was bigger than the baby the first 2 semesters. Her baby was born one month early and she is now one year old! :) Perfectly healthy little girl.
And my other friend was adviced to terminate the pregnancy for malformations and high delay in the developpement. SHe said no and braced herself for a life with an heavily handiccaped child, and he is NORMAL!!!!!!! He was a little small at birth but 0 defect!!!!
praying for you. There is hope :)

Mum said...

So incredibly happy for you! You and your family, are in our thoughts and prayers.