summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, August 6, 2011

real life

I read this morning that a helicopter was shot down in Eastern Afghanistan, killing 31 Americans. This would make me cry any day of the week, because it is just plain sad. Add in some pregnancy hormones, and a son who is being trained to go to that very place, and voila, buckets of tears.

Because Benjamin is so very dear to me. That sounds like a line from an 18th century novel. But I miss him so much. And it hurts my heart that my little boy is going to see things that will haunt him, experience things that he may very well need therapy to get over. I just do not want him to have to go over there, and there is not a thing in the world I can do about it.

I also wish I could skip all this first trimester uncertainty and know for a fact that this pregnancy is going to flourish. I do not want to be tested in my faith in this, I just want to know everything will be fine. I want to know that YES, I am going to actually have a newborn baby next March. (I have been having baby dreams like crazy, the kind where I don't remember the birth, but I am holding this precious newborn, the dreams seem so real, right down to that distinctive feel of the weight of that baby's head on my shoulder, and my nose nestled right into the b soft sweet hair. yum).

But tested I shall be. I go in on Monday for a pregnancy test, then sign the papers to have my records transferred, since my old dr. doesn't deliver anymore. Then sometime after that I actually have an appointment. I want to fast-forward to seeing a little heartbeat, or having blood test numbers double nicely like they are supposed to.

But life is full of trials, all weighed and measured exactly for me. And Jesus DID say that we cannot add one cubit to our lives by being anxious. I know that God knows the beginning and the end to all things, and He sends what's best for me, and that no temptation is ever too great to bear. Yet I need to be tested in these things, so I have to think of this whole thing as an opportunity to trust God.

Someday all the little details surrounding this pregnancy will fade from my memory, no matter how it turns out. But I can get some fine treasures in heaven if I am faithful to battle this anxiety! (but jeepers, every single time I use the bathroom, I am relieved not to see blood. every single time. that means that every single time, I am dreading that I WILL see it. blah. I do not want to be this worried. But I cannot magically just not be worried, I need to battle those thoughts one at a time, so that I can truly say, "Let God's will be done.")

I have more things to think about than just this tiny baby though. School clothes and supplies for eight kids going to school this year. Then four kids will be commuting to to college from here. (having kids in college living at home is No Fair. They always have to study, yet they still leave trails and use dishes and eat meals...)Then there is little Camille, whom I shall spoil like crazy. I will take her to Story Hour at the library, and enjoy every minute with her. (If this new baby actually arrives in March, Camille is going to be in for a big surprise. I will have TWO spoiled rotten "youngest childs"!)

My older kids are so absolutely thrilled. I will never get a turn except when I am feeding him/her.

Ha, so yes, I have lots of other things going on, but my thoughts are so centered on this baby! Thank you for your prayers and kind words, I so appreciate it.

8 comments:

ccc said...

I just have to say it again--I am so happy and excited for you! Try not to worry, although from experience I know it is easier said than done. You give me hope that one day soon I will be holding another baby in my arms. God is so good.

Karil said...

Don't let your thoughts spoil your experience with this pregnancy. It will all be fine. I will light a candle with a prayer for you tomorrow. :)

Piper Paradise said...

Oh I just love you, your family and your blog. I don't comment enough because I am lazy to do the whole log in thing. I have read you for so long, before the Rosie and the miscarriage. I think you are wonderful mom. We include your family in our nightly prayers. So we think of you of real life friends even if we just know from your blog :-)

Piper Paradise said...

Oh I just love you, your family and your blog. I don't comment enough because I am lazy to do the whole log in thing. I have read you for so long, before the Rosie and the miscarriage. I think you are wonderful mom. We include your family in our nightly prayers. So we think of you of real life friends even if we just know from your blog :-) piperparadise.wordpress.com

michelle said...

Good luck for monday you will feel better once the test is done! I hope your son stays safe and it would be a worry for you but how proud you must be of him you have a beautiful family and now another one to look forward to
take care :)

Mike and Katie said...

I can so relate to your anxiety. i felt the same way when I was pregnant with Tali. She just seemed too good to be true.

I'm really far too busy this time around to even think about it.

My son is also considering the Navy and while I think parts of it will be good for him, other parts make my mommy heart sad. Prayers and blessings to you!

Cinnamon said...

Della, thank you for your comments on John's homecoming. We are so happy to finally have him home yet still praying for our oldest son, Garrett, who is now fighting in Afghanistan.

As I read about your Benjamin I ached with you as a Mama aches for her son. The unknowns are so hard aren't they?

We pray for every step our son takes and we will pray for your Benjamin too. We'd love to send him a care package when you get an address, after he gets overseas.

My husband is getting use to life at home, life without having to carry a gun with him everywhere he goes and life without someone waiting to shoot at him. He has really adjusted quite well and I see it as the Lord's special blessing. His entire deployment was a walk with God. God opened the door for John to go to Afghanistan. He placed him right where he was suppose to be. He guarded his every step, with bullets flying by and IED's not blowing up that they had just ran over with his truck. Oh so many blessings!!

We are honored to pray for your son.

Hugs, hugs, hugs and I'll be praying for your pregnancy as well.

~Cinnamon

Judy said...

I feel your anxiety as I have been in your very same place many times in years past and know how devastating it can be when it doesn't happen. Just praying that all continues well for you. I have a good feeling about this and am so happy for you!
Blessings,
Judy