summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 26, 2011

40 pounds gone now...

I am back on track! Thinking positive, ect. I have lost 1.6 pounds per week on average since I started this new "lifestyle change", a.k.a. "diet". Not too shabby taking into consideration I had six weeks with no loss at all. I saw the lowest number in years on Saturday, and was pleased to see it again on Sunday and this morning. Usually when those numbers go down, they go back up again before I see the lower one again..so I am encouraged. I told myself this morning that I have lost forty pounds, that means I can lose forty more. The apple cake Mirielle made yesterday is still on the counter, one third of it or so...I feel like flinging it off the deck, it is so good. And the oatmeal is all gone, so I had a bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch this morning, yummy but not nearly as filling. I had to almost slap myself, I wanted to go get a refill. So my demons are not gone, I am just fired up to deal firmly with them!

Isn't that the story of my life? There will always be trials and temptations! In everything!

This morning, Jonathan had a bad start. I woke them up singing my Good Morning song, which they do not appreciate, so I decided to be nice and stop singing...but Jonathan was antagonized anyway. I suggested he hop right into the shower because he needed a hair wash, and last evening he declined, said he would rather do it in the morning. But not THIS morning. No, this morning he had one of his breakdowns...he was just so upset, couldn't stop crying. Saying it was my fault he didn't take the shower last night, because he would have....he spent 20 minutes in there with the water on, I finally knocked and told him to come out...he came out, wrapped in his towel, and I poured the milk on his cereal and gave it to him. He did not WANT milk on yet. rrr. Anyway, he was crying and sobbing buckets of tears by the time the bus came, so I sent him back to bed. As he went down the hall toward his room, he turned and asked me, "Are you mad, Mom?" I just told him I didn't want to talk about it right now. It is very important to him that I am not upset with him... it is tricky to show the child you hate the behavior but not the child. And it is also not wise to get after a kid who is already having such a rough time. Honestly, I was very patient and kind with him this morning. My hand was a little itchy, ha. My mother used to say her hands were itchy when she saw a kid being bad, 'cause her hand wanted to give a little spank.

So...to the store again with me today! No oatmeal, bread, bananas, or yogurt in the house. Most mornings, twelve kids go out the door with lunches. That is alot of food. And every single night, there is this thing called, "dinner"....that takes a lot food too.

Rosie and the Kitten like to play together. Rosie is much more gentle than I thought she would be. They romp and run and I watch them and wonder why the heck I didn't get a Small Dog. Kitten likes to play in the dollhouses, jumping out the windows and running through the doors while Rosie runs around trying to catch him. Kitten runs under the big red chair, and Rosie lies there with her nose under the chair looking for Kitten, and Kitten sneaks out the other side and pounces on Rosie...no wonder I get so little accomplished around here. I am easily distracted...we have these magnet letters on our fridge...every time I turn around I am re-arranging them to make a different nonsensical phrase.

Exercise: something I have been trying is to go on the treadmill for only fifteen minutes, going really fast on a steep incline for like two minutes, then slowing down and just walking fast on flat, then increasing the incline again and giving it all I've got (which believe me isn't much) for like two minutes....I have read that interval training is better than just exercising for longer times. We'll see. I try different things on different days...I cannot do one single regular push-up yet. I lie there and try, and find myself laughing my head off, it is useless. I do the cheaty ones, and I do a cheaty version of sit-ups. I lift my wimpy ten pound weights, and I do my stair stepping on the front porch. I am hoping to get to the pool a few times this week, too. Exercising is not really my thing, but it is growing on me, and it does give me more energy. And I like the soreness, it makes me feel healthy. ha. The moral of this paragraph is this: If I can do this, anyone can! I am the Queen Of Lazy! The Captain Of The Comfy Chair! The Corner Cutter! The Master Of Excuses! I have relaxing down to a science! Give me coffee and the laptop, and I am down for the count! So really, if I can move it, anyone can. Just fight the mental battle, say no to the excuses, and feel better!

That being said, just taking a quick look around this place makes me just want to sit here and write all the live-long day. It isn't terrible, but there is about a hundred tiny pieces of paper strewn around the living room floor - looks like one of the princesses was practicing with the kindergarten scissors. There is NO clothes monster on the couch, which is something to be glad about. There are however, several loads of laundry screaming to be washed. The kids did the clean up from dinner last night, but somehow no one washed the pans or swept the floor...blah. So I am not buried with work, but I do need to get moving...or not, I just got a call from my sister who is in the small city with her grandson while Susan gets a sono (she is expecting twins), and does her three hour glucose test. We are meeting her at a park! The laundry can wait!

6 comments:

Martha said...

Congratulations on 40 pounds lost! That is great!!!

Sorry about Jon this morning. I too once had a small boy who had mornings like that. Unfortunately, I usually shipped him off to school anyway. Now I know better, but those days are long gone and can't be changed.

Chrissy in Chaos said...

As regards exercise - I teach ballet class to toddlers right through to adults and my current stock phrase is 'If I can do it you can do it!' - it encourages them to have a go and me to prove it! Thats fantastic to hear you are doing so well with your losing!

Jennifer said...

40 lbs is amazing! way to go!

Deb said...

40 lbs! That is amazing! Do you feel like you have more energy?

Keep going...if you've come this far you can go all the way. We're all routing for you.

16 blessings'mom said...

Thank you, I shall press on. It seems unimaginable that I could possibly ever be even remotely thin again. But I will keep at it, and we shall see! Martha - when Joseph was in kindergarten, he absolutely hated school. He told the teacher his phone number and asked her every day to call me to come pick him up. He is twenty now, and I would gladly go pick him up. But we do what we think is best at the time, and life is a learning process. I enjoyed my day with Jon today, hopefully he didn't have TOO much fun. Oh, Bad Mom Award. (I mean...he went to the park, to the store and got to pick out candy with Camille, home to play and swing....)

ccc said...

40 pounds is alot--you should be very proud of yourself!