summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, September 11, 2011

sunday...a day of rest

Today I am working at the Dome for the first time. I have successfully avoided it for the past few seasons, because SOMEONE had to be here with the kids. I had really good reasons to avoid going: the BIG HILL being the number one reason. Syracuse University is ON the HILL. THE hill. Hills scare heavy people. Going into the Dome itself requires STAIRS. Stairs also scare heavy people. But now I am almost 40 pounds lighter, and in slightly better shape than I was five months ago. So, even though I have lost much ground, having lost the baby, I am going to go work at the Dome. Climb the Hill, the Stairs, stand on my poor feet for hours.

Can you tell how excited I am about it?

Paul worked yesterday, and is there already today. I am working the afternoon shift (high school football games today), and riding with Emily and Abigail.

Yesterday was a lovely day. It was sunny and crisp, low humidity, cool in the shade...perfect autumn day. We went on an apple adventure...six of the girls, and I. We got four paper shopping bags full of apples for $20, and some sweet corn, and 16 quarts of peaches for $15. And, the place we went has a permanent barn sale in the back...we found treasures! The girls got Barbies and a 1973 Barbie boat with tons of little pieces that they are so fond of fighting over...some really nice old Barbie clothes - the kind that were actually hemmed and sewed carefully. Camille got a pretty princess crown, and Margaret found a hardcover edition of the complete works of Shakespeare for a buck. We had too much fun. Oh, and this place also bakes cookies, pastries, donuts...I let Mirielle pick out the cookies. She chose peanutbutter, and molasses. The molasses won, I had three on the way home, three cookies and a peach. It WAS lunch.

Dinner was hot sausage grilled, sweet corn, chicken strips, and salad.

Weekends are so nice. The kids have so much playing to catch up on. The living room is simply covered with Barbies and accessories and clothes...I don't really mind, I like having them play right here. Kitty Kitten likes to romp around and bat things around. Rosie is no longer afraid of Kitty, and wants to play with him. I am nervous that Rosie will hurt him accidentally. Good thing she has her cage to take her morning nap in, it gives me a break.

My coffee is gone now, and I need to get busy. But I shall end with this: if you are so blessed to be married, be nice to your spouse. Pray about it, think about it, but do everything you can to bless and be good and enjoy your time together. It can be so good, such a gift, nothing to be taken for granted.

3 comments:

ccc said...

Yes, I totally agree with your last paragraph.

Mike and Katie said...

I think The Dome is a scary place for hypoglycemic people too. Although we're probably not talking about the same Dome. :) I remember going to a ball game with the boys. I had gone up to get them hot dogs but couldn't find any allergy-friendly food for myself. I remember standing at the top of the concrete steps with my hands full feeling light-headed and queasy and thinking it would be really bad if I fell down those stairs.

I hope you survived the day.

Sandra said...

Your final note spoke to me today, I can be grumpy and demanding and have unrealistic expectations... Sometimes more than would be considered acceptable. I do love him, and care deeply for his happiness and wellbeing, but sometimes have difficulty expressing this. We have been together for 20 years and I do take him for granted. I will love him more and remember to tell him so, because you reminded me...