summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, September 30, 2011

tips for a happy marriage....

As I sit here in the quiet, awaiting the second trip school bus's arrival, talking periodically to one of the eight kids who are here, busy on computers, exercising, reading, relaxing, I am thinking about my husband.

Why am I so lucky to still be crazy about him?

Why am I so lucky to have him still be crazy about me?

Our Friday night Date Night has become a habit, a good habit that we totally look forward to...we sneak into our room, close the door, and watch movies on the computer. We have to get the younger kids into bed first, but the older kids are fine out here on their own.

It wouldn't be right for me to give advice on how to have a happy marriage, really, since I have often been witchy with a capital "B". And stubborn and slow to bend. But God is good, so I will anyway. Because something good is working here, and if anyone can get any help from us, good.

First of all...I would like to thank God, for letting us meet...no, I am not kidding or practicing my Oscar speech...I bet if anyone interviewed a thousand couples who have been married for 25 years or longer, and were still happy together, I bet anything that most, if not all, had submitted themselves to God first and foremost. Seriously, getting free from selfishness is the most important thing, I think. I know there is a saying in the world that goes like, "you have to love yourself before you can love anyone else."...but. But. I don't know about that. There is always so so so much room for more goodness, and more blessing...and when I am working on that, and am so blessed that he is also working on that, how can it not be good? When we both work together to bless the kids, to be patient with them, to listen to them...how can it not be good? It requires sacrifice, and for me to give up my opinions sometimes, and maybe some time I would like to spend on myself...but it is a law of God that when one gives one receives!

While there are probably good marriages outside of God, I don't know anything about that, I am only writing about what I have experience with.

We have of course had our trials and our differences, but we have both understood that being right doesn't matter, and have always wanted the best for each other, so our love has grown, and we still have a great time together. A good marriage, as far as I know, is alot of work, but work well worth it.

That being said, I would never recommend that anyone marry anyone who doesn't answer to God. Because I realize that I am simply not that fantastic that Paul just plains loves me so much...no, he has humbled himself and striven to please God in the situations too.

Oh, I hate being preachy. I am just in a good mood, and happy about my friend and husband, happy that it is Friday, and would wish this same happiness on my friends...

4 comments:

Tereza said...

enjoy your date night!

ccc said...

I agree with you. I can't imagine having such a happy marriage that lasts with out God. It is only by obeying the commandments and trying to be a good Christian and raise our kids as Christians that my marriage has grown to where its at and is extremely happy. Sure, we have our moments, but I just got back from date night(saturday)and I am in a good mood, so everything looks rosy as I am talking about marriage. LOL

Grace said...

My husband and I met in high school (Grade 10). We have been married for 34 years and are very happy. He is a godly man and a perfect example for me (I need an example). I love him so much.

boysmum2 said...

Sadly my hubby does not believe, but his values and rules of life to live by are serious and he sticks by them. That I love him for, because to me, he may not believe but he has limitations and guidelines he has set himself that work for him and us as a family. I believe but I do not hold it against him that he doesn't.